Count fruit and vegetables?

Options
I am not sure if I should count fruit and vegetables in my calories? Are they unlimited or should I count them?... Thanks!

Replies

• BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories - there are no free rides here, even if it's healthy.
  • sessaleigh
    Options
    Definitely count fruit. I don't count most vegetable (count peas, corn, carrots, other things high in sugar) because I just feel like it's wrong to limit to the amount of broccoli or spinach I eat.
  • antiadipose
    Options
    an orange has about 80 cals. some of my big apples have about 110 cals.
    sooooo yes for sure count them! those #s are not small.
  • sessaleigh
    Options
    Also, weight watchers doesn't have you count most veggies b/c they are so high in fiber.
  • Photoplex
    Photoplex Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Count everything, broccoli and spinach included. Why wouldn't you? They hardly make a difference to your totals, but it's good to keep track of how many vitamins and minerals you're getting (in the case of spinach, iron)
  • Angowen
    Angowen Posts: 22
    Options
    Like the majority, I say count EVERYTHING! Someone else said they don't add up to much so it won't make a huge difference but it's good to know your overall nutritional needs and what you're actually getting. Not to mention that some fruits are quite high in calories and you wouldn't want to go overboard on calories and not lose weight just because you ate too much fruit.
  • Chrissun
    Chrissun Posts: 148
    Options
    I agree to count everything but not just because of the calorie counting. If you look at previous journal entries you'll be able to see any patterns in hunger and fruit & veggie eating. You might notice that the days you have more fruit and veggies you have less cravings. Its good to have a complete list of food and exercise.
  • markmowry
    markmowry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good point, Angowen!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If it goes in your mouth it goes in your food diary. Just because vegetables are healthy doesn't mean they don't need to be tracked. I'm not worried about going over my calories from vegetables but I do like to track the fiber and other vitamins they have.