Stuck in my 160s!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• mponzio88
    mponzio88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    From what I saw from your food diary you're eating the right calories and eating the calories your exercised calories... btu I saw you're not consistent with drinking water.. you're supposed to drink at LEAST 8 cups a days.. I also heard you are supposed to drink half you weight in ounces. so if you are 160 you drink 80 ounces or 10 cups.. I'm also around 160 and I drink around 10 glasses a day, 9 minimum, and I have seen some pounds come off.. 160 was always my plateau but since drinking more water I've just recently lost 4 pounds and am down to 156. Hope this helps you!!!!
  • Lishia1283
    Lishia1283 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yeah i will admit, I haven't been consistent with drinking water as much as I should. In my previous post, I said that I at least get in 6 cups but I know it should definitely be more than that. I noticed that I drink more water out of all places at work lol. I stay more consistent there but once I get home or it's the weekend or an event, I fall off track. So that's going to be a goal of mine to get in 10 cups of water this whole week and see if this helps. Also last week, I just came off of my TOM and from what I read, that can also have a lasting impact on weight loss resulting in a gain so maybe my body is trying to adjust off of that. Who knows! Also, I will have to check that Jillian Michaels book. But when I'm doing my goals, you know setting up my activity level, I always put sedentary so I can do the food and exercise separately. I like knowing that once I exercise I have those calories as an extra bonus. Is it possible that I should set my activity level to lightly active or moderately active and just not eat back my exercise calories?
  • InspiredSAM
    InspiredSAM Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Maybe changing your weigh in day to Friday would help too. Weekend food has a nasty way of showing up on Monday morning and artificially inflate the scale.

There are some really great suggestions for you on this thread! Hope something works for you.
  • mmwiseman
    mmwiseman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just did a search for carbnite and the user about me commented with the link, which isn't super helpful but I will say, CARBNITE WORKS! I did insanity and was on a 1200 calorie diet for 2 months and lost 6 lbs. I started CarbNite about a week ago and I have already lost 4 lbs but my before and after pictures just from last Monday to this morning (Tuesday) looks like 8-10 lbs because I have gained so much muscle and burned fat. I am doing a kickboxing class 3x a week that I love but to get out of a no-weight-loss-rut, I have never experienced anything better. There is a book called CarbNite Solution that you can buy on Amazon for around $18 but I just read blogs and started following people on Instagram that post photos with recipes. I've heard it explained a couple of different ways but here is goes as I understand it.

The goal is to put your body is a state of ketosis so your body is burning your stored fat for fuel rather than carbs/sugars that you consume. You eat mostly all protein so you can lose weight while gaining muscle mass. For the first cycle, consume less than 30 net carbs every day for 10 days. Most of your carbs should be from vegetables. I eat pepperoni for snack sometimes, make bacon wrapped asparagus baked in the oven, omlets, and a lot of greens. EAS makes a chocolate protein shake called AdvantEdge that is great for a sweet tooth because it tastes great. 17 g of protein and 3 net carbs (4 carbs - 1 g fiber). They only have 110 calories so they're better as a pre- or post-workout snack vs a meal replacement but still a good supplement to use.
    On the 11th day of your first cycle, starting at 5 pm (or about 6 hours in the evening), you get to carb load (or have your "Carb Nite")! Basically you can stuff your face with whatever sweets, pasta, pizza, ice cream, doughnuts, that you want. This will shock you metabolism and supposedly amps up your fat burning in the long run.
    After your first cycle, you start over but do the high protein/low carb for 5 days and on the 6th day you can have your Carb Nite.

I have heard 2 different things on the scheduling. First cycle is 10 days and 5 pm til bed is your Carb Nite on the 10th day or how I explained it here, 10 days diet, 11th day Carb Nite. But I figured the longer I keep my body in ketosis the better.

You can look it up on YouTube. I found a review video of a girl who lost 18 pounds in a month. Crazy results.
    I do know that they only recommend doing this diet for 6 months at a time (I'm assuming because really high protein is harder on your kidneys) but I know for myself, I can maintain like nobody's business. I just have such a challenge getting where I want to be.

In a week on this diet, I have accomplished 2/3 of the results that I accomplished in 2 months of Insanity and low calorie dieting. So I would definitely recommend it to anybody who has hit the dreaded plateau.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think you are most likely eating too little. Try this:

Find a TDEE calculator online and figure out your TDEE.

Find a BMR calculator online and figure out your BMR.

Multiply your TDEE by 0.8 (that's zero point eight). Eat that many calories. Never eat less than your BMR.

If this new number is significantly more than 1200, add 100 calories/day for a week until you are at the new number.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I suggest you rest more..stop working out six days a week and eat a bit more. When i hit a plateau.. that is what worked. I ate off my diet... then in a week or so.. hit it again..and the scale moved.
  • seif0068
    Options
    I think you are most likely eating too little. Try this:

Find a TDEE calculator online and figure out your TDEE.

Find a BMR calculator online and figure out your BMR.

Multiply your TDEE by 0.8 (that's zero point eight). Eat that many calories. Never eat less than your BMR.

If this new number is significantly more than 1200, add 100 calories/day for a week until you are at the new number.

To add some reassurance, when I was stuck for quite awhile I followed the advice I gave you above and started losing again. Currently 3 lbs under my original goal weight - started in September 2012, lost the weight by mid-May, and doing maintenance now.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck in the 160's for a while too! I'm thinking about carb cycling/low carb for a week or two to mix it up
  • michellechawner
    Options
    You need to eat a lot more if you're working out a lot. MFP already has a deficit built in, so you're suppose to net zero.

Alos, are you tracking calories lost with a fitbit, bodymedia, or hrm? If you're using MFP to calculate calories burned, you're not burning that many, they overestimate way too much. I was at a plateau for 4 weeks and once I got my fitbit and started seeing I wasn't really burning calories the way they said I was I started dropping weight again. I also upped my calories and the weight is coming off much easier now.
  • Momma2Beauties405
    Momma2Beauties405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I actually have been in my 160s for approximately three months now. It's almost like the scale is teasing me saying, "lololol I know you see the 157, 158 and 159 after your workout but you won't see me on your weigh in day." It's so annoying. I'm going to try to change up my diet routine and see if that helps. I try to aim to have my meals go from biggest to smallest, having breakfast being my biggest meal. That meal will be like around 500 calories or a bit over. I have a WW scale that measures my body fat, body water, bmi and all that stuff which definitely tells me I'm still overweight for my height (which I already know lol) but which is why I'm trying to lose weight in the first place. I'm 5'2 1/2 so it's a must that I get this weight off. But I'm at my wits end trying to get into at least my 150s. My overall goal is to be at 140 and I feel like it's so close but it's getting more difficult by the day.

I haven't looked at your diary but from this post, your story is almost identical to mine! My physician suggested that I NET a MINIMUM of 1200 cal/day. I have been trying to meet 1200 intake on my "rest" days, 1350 on my "weight training" days and 1500 on my "cardio" days. Since I started that, I have consistently been losing 0.5-1 pound per week. For me, this is the best - it is an actual lifestyle change and not so much a diet. And when I am adjusting my lifestyle mentality, I will keep it off!

Best of luck to you! Once you find what works for you, stick with it - even when you have a bad day (or week!) - AND NEVER GIVE UP!!!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I think you might be overestimating your exercise burn. Even HRMs can be inaccurate because our bodies are all different. Try only eating half of them and see what happens.
  • jdatillo
    jdatillo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would watch your sugar and carb intake. Try eating for veggies & protein for snacks.
  • spinninggirl50
    spinninggirl50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hate the 160's. there is something evil about that ten pounds. You will get out of them and when you do, like me, you will NEVER go back there!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I dropped into the 160s on Feb. 21 of this year. As of today I'm still in the 160s (down 8 pounds from Feb.). So far my longest plateau has been 24 days.

It makes me impatient sometimes but I don't get discouraged. This is all part of the game.

My goal is 150 (I'm 5'5") and this is the latest of many times I've been down this road (including getting into the 150s and lower). From the beginning of this latest weight loss, I've set my goal to a half-pound down per week. I'm aiming for sustainability over speed, because I want my current eating habits to be life-long.

Weight loss gets slower and harder the closer one gets to goal. Also, the same exercise burns fewer calories at lower weights. Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say about plateaus:
    https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152

My attitude is, I'll get there when I get there. And I know I'll get there eventually because I'm doing the right things.
    Keep on keepin' on.
  • seif0068
    Options
    You need to eat a lot more if you're working out a lot. MFP already has a deficit built in, so you're suppose to net zero.

Alos, are you tracking calories lost with a fitbit, bodymedia, or hrm? If you're using MFP to calculate calories burned, you're not burning that many, they overestimate way too much. I was at a plateau for 4 weeks and once I got my fitbit and started seeing I wasn't really burning calories the way they said I was I started dropping weight again. I also upped my calories and the weight is coming off much easier now.

Just so this doesn't cause confusion, you should not NET zero. You should NET whatever is your daily calorie goal. You should GROSS whatever is your daily calorie goal + the number of calories you burned.

If your daily goal is 1350 and you burn 200 calories exercising, you actually eat 1550 calories for a net of 1350.

I think this was your point since you are advising her to eat more but so many people get confused by this I thought I would clarify. :)
  • krissydye
    krissydye Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been in the same boat! I looked through some of your food entries and think maybe you should eat more protein and fewer carbs. I was struggling with a major plateau and met with a nutritionist. Finally I'm over the hump!! I'm 5'2" and finally under 150#. The nutritionist's suggestion to me was to aim for 100 g of protein and 100 g of carbs per day while staying around 1400 calories. I do exercise 6 days per week (don't forget the strength training - this is SO important!) but I do NOT add in/eat my exercise calories. I'm working on eating more meat - that's tough for me! Makes sense, though...I wasn't fueling my body with what it needed to build lean muscle! I just loved my carbs...and while I was within calorie limits (and points on WW) I was filling my day with the wrong foods! Good luck!!