Exercising more than your goal. Safe or unsafe?

Options
I have noticed that I will be doing more exercising than my goals say to do, therefore, burning more than my goals say to do. Should I just stick with the goal or be happy and just work my butt off?

Replies

• doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You can customize your goals
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Use your judgment. Are you unable to recover after a day? Are you at risk of hurting yourself? Will you burn out if you continue at your current pace? Are you cross-training?

The goals are guides.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    everyone has a different goal, yours may be low of high - I don't know. I try for 5-6days a week at the gym doing minimum 30mins cardio, for example. As long as you are sleeping well, taking some rest days and eating well then I don't think there is anything to worry about. Exercising 3 hours a day, though, is not healthy unless you are a serious athlete.

Just be realistic and don't injure yourself by overdoing it :) good luck!
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    if you can do the extra exercise without hurting yourself (not doing too much too soon) then go for it :)

you can eat back calories :) As long as you aren't doing injury there is nothing wrong with more exercise :) Just listen to your body
  • globetrotter42
    Options
    Listen to your body. Go ahead exercise and if you feel pain STOP and take a day off. If you don't, go right ahead enjoy yourself! And do yourself a favor - STRRRRRREEEETTTTTCH before your exercise.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Safe exercise involves both listening to your body and using an HRM. I have a Polar FT7 but I use it only to monitor my heart rate so that it doesn't go above around 150. If my body is telling me to rest, I rest. If I need to eat more and drink more water, I do so. It's always good to safely and incrementally push yourself a little bit more. The key is safety and not overdoing it. The trick is to find a happy balance where you are pushing yourself to improve without over or under doing it.