Balance of food - not doing it right :(

Options
Ive set my ratios on MFP to 40 carb, 40 protein and 20 I can't seem to get t balanced when I eat!!

Im pretty religious with my updates and on the mobile app that gives you the wonderful pie chart, Im about 40:20:40! I manage to eat within plus or minus 100 of my calories for the day so thats all good.

What high protein / low fat food can I eat to reverse this please??

Replies

• lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, greek yogurt (plain to cut down on sugar/carbs), chicken breast with no skin
  • Daisy_Bumbleroot
    Daisy_Bumbleroot Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :)

Oh yeah I like greek yogurt! Thats great!

But - with eggs - what do I do with the yolks?
  • Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options

I prefer to buy just the whites. They come in bags, sometime sin the freezer section. No waste :)
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Throw them away.

Also turket breast is very lean. And whey protein shakes.
  • JustSinging
    JustSinging Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    We feed the egg yolks to our pets :) Dogs and birds love them
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :)

Oh yeah I like greek yogurt! Thats great!

Eat the damn yolks.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I buy 100% Egg Whites in cartons.
    Here is a yummy pancake recipe I discovered.

3/4 cup almond milk
    2 tbsp vinegar
    (Mix together in a bowl and let them sit for a minute)

1 cup of White Whole Wheat Flour
    1.5 tsp baking powder
    (mix these in a separate bowl)

add 3/4 cup of egg whites to the almond milk mix.

Combine all the ingredients (Don't over stir!)

Makes three decent sized servings,

200 Calories per serving, 12 grams of protein per serving. 30 carbs.

This served with two eggs would put you up to 24 grams of protein for just breakfast. (Its a great meal to keep your energy up if you are doing a long bike ride, or jog or something... you dont get weak and hungry.)

I am also just starting out on my weight lifting journey. I am just trying to eat my body weight in grams of protein. I find that if I eat protein with every meal, and drink my post workout shake, and perhaps a another shake sometime in the day, I usually can eat about 135 grams without too much trouble.

Here is a list of high protein foods I refer to.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php
  • txjg
    txjg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oscar Mayer makes 2 oz. lean deli meat packets that are perfect for snacks that are low fat/high protein. I try to keep some on hand for snacking. Also, if you look hard you can find beef jerky that is made without sugar. I live in New Mexico, and we get Fatman's Jerky (it's lean despite the name!) You can order it online at http://fatmansbeefjerky.com/pages/unique-beef-jerky.htm
    I like the salt and pepper jerky. Tasty and no sugar.

Lite tofu is a good low fat/high protein option, and of course beans are great and you get fiber, too. Try some edamame!
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    protein powder, chicken, turkey, tvp (texterized vegetable protein)
  • txjg
    txjg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot about fatfree cottage cheese (30 g protein in one cup) and fatfree ricotta.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific medical reason that your carbs are so high and your fat is so low? Fat isn't evil. Even saturated fat isn't so bad. Maybe adjust macros so your carbs are only 30% and shift the rest to fat. But if so, I'll second the unflavored fat free or reduced fat Greek yogurt and the cottage cheese.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat the yolks.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    In addition to what has already been mentioned; lean beef, tilapia, crab, shrimp, bison, fat free cheeses...
  • Daisy_Bumbleroot
    Options
    Is there a specific medical reason that your carbs are so high and your fat is so low? Fat isn't evil. Even saturated fat isn't so bad. Maybe adjust macros so your carbs are only 30% and shift the rest to fat. But if so, I'll second the unflavored fat free or reduced fat Greek yogurt and the cottage cheese.

Thanks for the replies everyone, sorry Ive left it so long.

No there is no medical reason, Im doing the Insanity workout and (this is bad of me i know) I cant be arsed with their food programme... I eat very healthy anyway and eat the food out of the programme and 95% of my food is out of the top 2 tiers of Michis ladder (in the nutrition guide). I saw on various forum posts that a 40c:40p:20f ratio is a good ratio for the Insanity workout.

Yes, I will eat those damn yolks, I dont see the point wasting them :)

Today I had a lovely green salad with lots of juicy prawns :)
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

Carbs are not evil either. I wouldn't consider 40% high. When I was running 35+miles a week I had my carbs set to 65%. I'm just saying...Depends on the goals. OP it is all about planning. Plan your day ahead of time so you can adjust BEFORE you consume.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yep, eat the yolks. I do.

But if I want a massive omelette and don't have the calories left, I make an omelette of one whole egg and some egg whites. As you are in the UK you can buy Two Chicks Egg Whites in a carton from larger supermarkets. Mostly Sainsburys and Waitrose. They are £3 a carton
  • sweetpeas317
    sweetpeas317 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi do you know what the best protein shakes are? I have recently bought arbonne protein mix I use almond milk and a table spoon of peanut butter. There are so many to choose from I am confused. help :)
  • Beckaroo94
    Beckaroo94 Posts: 66
    Options
    Tuna, chicken and eggs I would suggest
  • Daisy_Bumbleroot
    Options

Carbs are not evil either. I wouldn't consider 40% high. When I was running 35+miles a week I had my carbs set to 65%. I'm just saying...Depends on the goals. OP it is all about planning. Plan your day ahead of time so you can adjust BEFORE you consume.

Yes, on days where ive not eaten enough carbs, Ive noticed i dont have the energy to lift my arms :D
    Hi do you know what the best protein shakes are? I have recently bought arbonne protein mix I use almond milk and a table spoon of peanut butter. There are so many to choose from I am confused. help :)
    Not a clue! Why not try and get your protien from food :)
    Tuna, chicken and eggs I would suggest

mmmm Tunaaaa - I like tinned tuna and mackerel in Olive oil though and this is where my fat is bumped up I guess!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 eggs a day and am close to 20% fat (I have pre logged the next few days). Yolks have vital nutrients, don't waste them unless it's your last option!

Go for lean ham, chicken breast, lots of vegetables and some protein shakes as well if you need a bit more protein. I love making a protein shake with 100-200mL full-cream milk (add some more water if you have only 100mL) plus pure coca and half of a really ripe banana with vanilla protein. Tastes like a chocolate smoothie for about 250cals! Great snack for post work out :)

Try pre-logging the day before and you can see where fats/carbs/protein is coming from and it makes it easier. I almost always pre-log if I can!