could I be retaining water?

Options
Just curious. I was out in the sun all weekend, it was hot, I was walking a lot and drinking a lot of water. while i stayed within my calories I had way too much sodium. I stepped on the scale this morning and weigh about 3-4 lbs more than I did friday, could it be water retention? I know I should only weigh once a week but couldn't help myself.

Replies

• liddienicole
    liddienicole Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yeah sodium is known to make you retain water, just keep drinking lots of water and it should drop off in the next few days :) You couldn't have physically put on 3-4 pounds of fat that quickly :)
  • charnelle7
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that it's water. It's impossible to gain 3-4 pounds in a weekend if you stayed within your caloric intake.
  • GAB219
    GAB219 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me...i weighed in on Friday at 145 (so happy) and then this morning I weighed in at 148 (not so happy). I wasn't out in the sun much but I did quite a bit of cardio workout on Fri, Sat, and Sun. I weigh myself everyday (because I'm obsessed) and doesn't usually bothers me but a 3 lb gain can damper a day. Just keep doing what you're doing and hopefully we can lose this weekend water weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's water. It's pretty much scientifically and mathematically impossible to gain 3-4 Lbs of actual fat over the course of a weekend. Most people have natural fluctuations of 2-5 Lbs day to day due to water retention/release, food in/out, waste, etc.
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    make sure its as cold as possible to help keep your metabolism running !
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's water. It's pretty much scientifically and mathematically impossible to gain 3-4 Lbs of actual fat over the course of a weekend. Most people have natural fluctuations of 2-5 Lbs day to day due to water retention/release, food in/out, waste, etc.
    I thought so......
  • larodriguez02
    larodriguez02 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ok that's what I thought, just needed some verification on that. :wink: Didn't think I could gain weight that quickly but it made me panic for a bit.
  • larodriguez02
    Options
    I do love my water cold so that won't be a problem. :)
  • wanttolose62
    Options
    The again, it could just be the gravitational differentiation because the earth is moving through the natural orbit of the sun.

Ok, just kidding.

Less sodium, more water. Any chance it's your natural cycle? Obviously you don't have to answer that, but something to consider.
  • Hoosier96
    Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I had a similar thing this week. Had a nice loss, posted it, got on the scale next day and there was a gain. I am now forcing myself to stay off the scale except for Saturday mornings, and making sure on Thursday and Friday I don't have too much sodium so I am flushed out.
  • larodriguez02
    Options
    The again, it could just be the gravitational differentiation because the earth is moving through the natural orbit of the sun.

Ok, just kidding.

Less sodium, more water. Any chance it's your natural cycle? Obviously you don't have to answer that, but something to consider.

lol- either way as long as I didn't gain that much in 2 days. No, shouldn't be my cycle.
  • amazinngrace
    amazinngrace Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, I too agree that it's likely water weight - especially if you were active all weekend. I still have a problem with too much sodium in my diet even though I stay within my calorie limit...it's just something we'll have to work on as time goes on.

No worries and keep up the good work!