Insane Binge-My inner fat kid is sabotaging my diet

Options
I met with a personal trainer last week and was actually doing really well on my diet and exercise plan until last night....

I don't know what possessed me. I just know I was hungry and had a little to drink and suddenly I just wanted to rebel against all the measuring, dieting, etc. I forced myself to total up the damage this morning and I overate by 2,587 calories.

I've never eaten such an insane amount of food in such a small amount of time in my entire life. I want to cry. I wish I could take it back, but even if I could make my self throw up, I know that bulimia is even less healthy than what I just did. I feel so guilty and miserable. I'm hung over and ready to accept defeat.

I could really use some advice maybe from some other people who have been in my shoes. Where do I go from here? What do I need to diet wise to help minimize the damage? Should I try to eat under my calorie goals over the next couple of days? How do I keep this from happening again?

Also, in the words of South Park, I could use an "accountabila-buddy." I don't have any friends on MFP yet, mostly because I don't want all of my non-virtual world knowing that I'm on a diet. If someone else out there would like to team up in the battle against their inner fat kid I'm all for it.

Replies

• JustDeke
    JustDeke Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've done this before—more than once. For me, it's usually the "oh hell, I just ate the whole pizza and all the cinnamon sticks" binge. It sucks, but it's just one day. I've found that the best thing for it is just not dwell on it. I find that if I beat myself up over it I become more discouraged, and am even more likely to do something similar again.

What's done is done. Just eat right the next day and keep moving forward.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I try to comment and help as much as I can. :)

-Deke

Follow my progress:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/JustDeke
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Drink water like it is your job, add some fiber such as Pysllium husk today to get rid of as much as possible. In a couple days it will be a distant memory.

One moment of weakness does not erase months of diligence.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Move on. Weigh yourself every day, or a few times a week. That helps with accountability. Remove the binge foods or avoid the binge opps if either is an option.
  • BeanDelphiki
    Options
    What were the first foods you ate in that binge? Are they typically foods you eat a lot of? If you have any foods that are binge triggers, you are going to want to avoid them more in the future. Popcorn is my worst one - I will eat 1200 calories in a sitting and not even feel like I'm binging if I start with popcorn. So I eat it very rarely now. I have my favourite flavour - white cheddar - in rice cakes instead!

The other part is emotional. I have found that I eat so much better when I track everything and watch everything, but sometimes I get so tired of it and want to give up and eat everything processed and sugary in sight. Sometimes I do. You need to pick yourself back up and keep going. Setbacks are not failure, and nobody is perfect 100% of the time. It can easily happen to anyone, because we are surrounded by foodstuffs that are not really food but which are designed with our pleasure centers in mind. You are not a bad person because you tripped over them. Just get back up.
  • BoondockSaints22
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I feel a lot better. When I got on the scale I had gained a pound from yesterday, but I've still lost 3 from when I last weighed in. BeanDelphiki I think you made a great point about what triggers the binge in the first place. I've decided that I'm not going to drink alcohol until I've lost 20 lbs and reached my goal weight. Then I'll celebrate with a glass of champagne. It's empty calories, being drunk makes me hungry, and it makes me have so much less will power than when I'm sober.