Tell me that I'm not the only one...

Options
SoDamnHungry
SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
...that uses the little safety/emergency stop clip on the treadmill. It looks stupid, but I have really bad balance! At the very least, no one else at my gym uses it. There has to be someone out there who does!

What stuff do you do at the gym that makes people look at you twice?

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Someone always takes the safety bars off the squat rack. I put them back in, but it makes a horrible metal on metal grinding sound.
  • PandaPop87
    PandaPop87 Posts: 131
    Options
    I've seen someone come off one of those close up - and as funny as it was, the burn marks on her body were not. So I ALWAYS use the tag thing!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I hit the emergency stop so hard when im done and i never cool down lol u not the only one
  • eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For some reason the treadmills at my local gym don't have any pause or stop buttons so the only way to stop them is to push the emergency stop button
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    ...that uses the little safety/emergency stop clip on the treadmill. It looks stupid, but I have really bad balance! At the very least, no one else at my gym uses it. There has to be someone out there who does!

ive thought about it, cause the treadmill always throws me off when it slows down and stops, I almost fall everytime.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the only person in the history of my Gold's Gym location who has ever actually used the Smith Machine.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've seen way to many youtube.com video's to NOT use the clip!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I use that little clippy thing on my treadmill. When I actually use the treadmill that is. But yeah I've seen you tube videos of people going flying off those things and it looks rather painful.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options

When I first started lifting, I would read up about it at home. When I got to the gym, I was so nervous that I would bring the book along and read a little bit before every exercise (while I was resting). I did this for weeks! Yeah, that got some looks!

When I go to yoga, I match the instructor move for move instead of doing it with the opposite appendages like everyone else. I can't hear the instructions and while I can remember to do the opposite on the beginning moves, as it gets more complicated, it takes more thought to make sure I'm doing the opposite that I can't focus on my form correctly so I just decided to heck with whether or not I was marching to the same beat as the rest of the class. I'm sure people wonder why I'm going left when everyone else is going right. Then when we have to hang upside down, I move my mat sideways so I can tilt my head to the side and see what else she is doing.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    The gyms that I have used in the past required us to use the emergency cord. At home I don't use it anymore. I used it on our old tm, but our new one seems to have a shorter cord. It's annoying when I accidentally pull it during my run.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I use it. I don't want to get hurt.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    That would be like not wearing a seatbelt. You hope nothing will ever happen, but it is there for a reason.
  • meg_mucklebones
    Options
    I don't think I run fast enough to really need it. On the other hand, sometimes I get tired and my feet start to feel a bit heavy and rubbery...maybe I should consider it. Wouldn't want to shoot off the thing and have the video show up on AFV.
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I would never use that. How embarrassing.
  • Summerxx13
    Summerxx13 Posts: 22
    Options
    I've seen too many treadmill fail compilation videos not to use it! I've seen people smack their faces as they go down and it looks so painful! I wear it just in case, there's so much you can't account for. What if your shoe lace comes untied and you trip? What if you suddenly get dizzy? You never know, and as I always say, better safe than sorry!

Right now I work out at home, but there's a nice x-sport 24 hr fitness I'm thinking about investing into a membership. The only thing is that I like to work out every day and the gym isn't exactly close. Not to mention gas prices.

But, maybe there's a good reason I work out at home. I'm pretty embarrassing. I need music to work out, and sometimes I get a little to into the music. I'll start rocking out and lip syncing to the songs XD
  • FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I use it if I'm running... if I'm just brisk walking or jogging then I tend to forget....
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    I think I'm the only person in the history of my Gold's Gym location who has ever actually used the Smith Machine.

So, your gym is really filled with smart people.

I'm one of the few at mine who doesn't. The movements just feel soooo unnatural. Just my opinion of course.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I do that too! Though I don't use DreadMills too often, I usually just jog outside.

I'm the only person at my gym that seems to carry a towel and I always wipe down benches and machines after I use them. I don't know if I get weird looks, I don't pay attention, but if so it's probably because I look like I'm dying :P
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Who wears them on a boat?
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

sounds like a gym full of people who know what they are doing.