Ouch Back hurts

Options
Why does my back hurt when I'm lying on it, with my legs up? Alot of the exercise dvds call for this exercise, and it hurts my back really bad. I am 243 lbs. Is it because all the weight? Is there a way to modify this exercise so my back doesn't hurt so much? I don't think a mat would help.

Replies

• Raspberry_Jelly1987
    Options
    ..I have a similar problem but I do have a bad back (had an operation for a slipped disc about a year ago). I tend to give the exercises a try but stop as soon as it starts hurting. I tend to not raise my legs as high, or go fully into the movement, which seems to help!

I'm not sure is there is a way to modify the exercises but I'd like to hear as well if there is!

My advise would be, if it really hurts skip that exercise, its not worth damaging your back for! Do something else in it's place (maybe some core strengthening exercises, which would help give your back support!)

I will say though, the more exercise I do, the less painful my back is becoming!
  • tiffnkailey
    tiffnkailey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    What exercises help stregnthen your back? I've noticed if I walk alot, my back will hurt. I think my back is just very weak.
  • Raspberry_Jelly1987
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone you can download apps from? If so, there is a brilliant one called BackCare which has descriptions, images and videos showing the best exercises to do (far easier than me trying to describe them!).

Or if you google something like 'core strengthening exercises for back pain' - most websites show the main exercises. The one I find most useful is, lying on your back, with your feet on the floor and knees bent then you lift your bum up off the floor and hold it for a few seconds (you can gradually increase this time) then slowly move back so your lying flat and then repeat. I found this really hard when I first started as my muscles were so weak, but they build up pretty quick!

My back used to ache an awful lot, especially with prolonged walking or sitting, losing weight and exercising more (gradually building it up) has helped a lot!

I really recommend all those exercises on that app though (my chiropractor directed me to that site) - if you can build the muscles up surrounding your back it stands you in better stead...
  • tiffnkailey
    tiffnkailey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    no smart phone, but I can google those. Thanks.