Very tough time with 5k yesterday

Options
I posted this on another board, but figured I would vent again. I ran my second 5k and although I did it in decent time for me - 29.08, I struggled to get through the race. I completed the C25k program in December and have been running 3+ miles several times a week. Did my first 5k on St. Patrick's day in very cold weather and my time was 30.48, but I don't feel like I struggled to cross the finish line. Yesterday was very hot so I'm assuming that had something to do with it, but I also think I just started out too fast and couldn't keep up. I had to stop and walk a few times for a few seconds and then forced myself to keep running, as I know the distance shouldn't have been too hard. I get annoyed everytime I think about when I was walking and telling myself I could have done it in less than 29 minutes.

Replies

• adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think you're being to hard on yourself. Building up endurance to run a 29 min 5 km takes a lot of time. You will get there! 9 months ago it took me 52 minutes to do a 5 km.. and now only 40 mins. Yes it's way slower than yours, but the conditioning it took to get there was a TON! I hit the gym 2-3 times a week for HIIT and weights.. and ran 2-3 days as well.

You did wonderful !! Keep thinking how far you have come over not making a goal. Its the change that you have made that has gotten you this far!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Try not to be too hard on yourself. You're right, heat is a killer if you're not used to running in it. You still cut 1:40 off your time, which is more than 30 seconds per mile.

Plus, sometimes in running you will just have bad days. Not every race will be a PR, so enjoy it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm in northeast PA, so our weather is pretty similar to NJ. The weather has been BRUTAL lately. It's much harder to run in the heat than the cold. Cut yourself a little slack.
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I agree I think you are being too hard on yourself - I am in week 5 of the C25K so I am completely enviable of where you are. However, is there anything else that you did differently between this race and the last race (aside from the weather): The week before the race did you lighten up your workout routine so that your leg muscles were ready for the workout? Did you have a quality breakfast the morning of the race? Did you get a good nights sleep?

Maybe a running journal would help you to keep track of what works best for you? Keep up the great work!

Kristin
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm in northeast PA, so our weather is pretty similar to NJ. The weather has been BRUTAL lately. It's much harder to run in the heat than the cold. Cut yourself a little slack.

All of this.

Running in the heat/humidity SUCKS. There is no getting around that, but you can work to acclimatize yourself to summer running. Take it a bit slower than normal, hydrate more than you think you need to, and become familiar with the signs/symptoms of heat stroke/exhaustion. You can continue to make progress and improve your summer running times, it's just going to take some work!

In the meanwhile...be a bit more kind to yourself!! Sub-30 in only your second 5K is something to celebrate!!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was very hot so I'm assuming that had something to do with it,

^^^ This right here can make a large difference in how you feel when running. Don't beat yourself up over it.
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I just felt like I didn't belong running since I was really having to mentally push myself to keep going. Once I was done, I was extremely happy, but wish I enjoyed it more. I ran on Friday, but didn't run on Saturday to prepare for Sunday. I was saying in my head that this was going to be my last race, which really upsets me b/c I truly love running. I have to let it go!
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It is def the heat! I went running today pushing my baby and it was hot and I felt like I was struggling. I also felt very slow but I did pace myself. I'm going to make sure to keep running in this weather so I can get used to it. I have a 10K to run at the end of the month! Baby free though, lol!

and no matter, that's a fantastic time!
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Wow!! You finished a 5k You must've smoked everybody who never got off the couch

It truly is awesome work & just think.... The next time your tired & want to quit you KNOW you can push through the voices that say you can't go any farther
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Don't be hard on yourself. There are a lot of factors including the heat and humidity and not enough sleep or proper food leading up to the 5k that can make it seem like a hard job. By the way, I can run 10kms now and still can go as fast as you for 5 kms.

There are days when running an hour is easy, and days when 1.5kms seems like a marathon. We are human beings.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    FWIW - I've been running since October, and my best time for 5 k is still around 40 minutes. You're doing great, OP!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thats a really amazing time. You should be proud of your hard work. I did my first 5k yesterday and got a time of 41 minutes and I ran/jogged almost the entire thing (took a tumble and had to walk for about 60 seconds to catch my breath). I've been running 3 miles a few times a week since Feb/March. I'm just not a fast runner and may never be.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You went under 30 minutes. That is awesome!!!!!
    Its a 5k, its supposed to hurt at the end. You are doing it right. Maybe save a little at the end for some bravado as you cross, but who cares, you did it!
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Dude, you mean you had a hard time running in the 90 degree weather? Gosh, how lame. :wink:

I was at Tough Mudder in PA this weekend and people were cramping up and falling out before mile 3. It was just a bad race weekend all together. Don't worry about it. This week should be nicer, so try to run and time yourself then. Also, 30 minutes is a great 5k time, and getting faster takes time. Just keep working at it.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Wow... you stopped and walked and still got a sub 30min time?? You owned that 5K! You go girl!
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sometimes for me it also depends on what mood I'm in. Just because running is on the agenda doesn't mean I'm mentally ready for it and if I'm feeling negative for a totally unrelated reason, it can really hurt my running. It's not even so much that it hurts the time (though that happens too), but I feel like every time I have to slow down I'm "giving up" even though (a) it's what my body needs and (b) it wouldn't bother me one bit if I were in a better mood.

Your time is still awesome, and you're still doing a great job. I'm another one around a 40 min 5K, so I envy your time!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The heat had a lot to do with it but the bigger problem, if you are looking for faster race times, is that your training is minimal. At 3 mi a few times a week improvement will be slow and will plateau pretty quickly.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Ugh, the heat. I usually breeze through 5K distances, but the weather changes are wreaking havoc on my runs. I've had to slow down my training runs a bit in order to keep going, and if I'm not properly hydrated I'll reach points where I just HAVE to walk. It sucks, but I'm sure once I've adjusted it will be fine. Don't beat yourself up, and keep training in the heat... It will get easier.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I did a race in CT yesterday. It was 90 degrees and humid and it was awful (the race, the weather, the notion of running in a non-air-conditioned environment). Yesterday was a brutal day to be running in the northeast. Everyone that raced yesterday had a tough time. You aren't alone. It's still a bummer when you don't do as well as you wanted to do, but NO ONE did as well as they wanted to do yesterday-it was just too hot.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i understand how you're feeling. HOWEVER, this is only your second 5K and you've accomplished a better race time than someone, say, like me, who's completed MANY races and is still over 35 min. be proud of your PR and keep going. my goal is to get under 35. then under 30. where you are--on only your second 5K.

:)