PCOS

Options
I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, and have found losing weight to be very difficult given the condition as well as having an under producing thyroid. I have tried a variety of ways of eating with little to no success.

I am curious if there are some other women on here with PCOS and if you have any specific dietary advice.

Replies

• psharma06
    psharma06 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I can give you my friends contact? She is a Health Coach and understands PCOS as she has it as well.
  • anonymousllama
    anonymousllama Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The best luck i've had has been low carb diet. If you take metformin that pairs well with the low carb and gets things moving slowly but in the right direction.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me my weight kind of came off easily when I was obese by cutting back on junk foods and watching calories, more water, the classics. I wish I could be of more help! Good luck with your goals!
  • lotus_luv24
    lotus_luv24 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Best thing that worked for me, was limit carbs and up your protein... WAY UP. Over what MFP has you set at.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I have been told that the Low Carb and/or Low Sugar in general is a BIG help. GOOD LUCK!!! I hope you find something that truly works for you!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I cut out processed carbs and white sugars as advised by my doctor and I lost 40 lbs in three months. The last 10-20 came off more slowly over the next year by upping my exercise and continuing to limit processed sugars/carbs.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic eating is the only way my weight budges. It's a high-fat, low carb dietary approach. I know many with PCOS that follow this diet.

Here are some keto links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1160-keto

This is a great run-down of keto:

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Good luck and feel free to message me.
  • noKTdidnt
    noKTdidnt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm getting pretty good results from changing my diet to only 40% carbs and limiting myself to one serving of a carb-heavy item a day. Then I work out with strength training for weight loss and zumba/running for cardio/fun.

The only issue I'm finding if that the extra testosterone in our bodies mean that my body responds quickly to weight training and my weight loss is flat in the beginning while I gain muscle mass. I have to commit to it for about a month until that scale starts telling me what my inch measurements are telling me.

Good luck!
  • Allydw89
    Allydw89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I found cutting carbs right down helped, other than that i kept my diet as usual, still slowish losing but have been losing faster than i did, last year between jan and june i'd only lost 14lb, but jan to june this year i lost 19lb . I've tried many things and only reducing carbs had done anything to increase my losses by any amount
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have PCOS too, I've known for about 10 years but just now getting around to doing something about it.

Weight loss does take a lot of dedication, but it is possible. For me I started losing weight once I decided I'd be happy if I was at this weight for the rest of my life. I just wanted more energy, so I started eating more protein and less carbs. Recently I started taking metformin and I'm in the middle of the couch to 5k program.

I hope you don't mind I'm sending you a friend request.
  • 1flowergirl
    1flowergirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same issues,yet through much determination and commitment I have lost 73lbs, over 13 months, slow going,yes and at times quite frustrating. You have to exersice,no way around it,I'm 50 and started at 274lbs,so no excuses of being too fat to exersice. Also strenght training really helps get the metabolisom going.I have had to reduce my thyroid meds for the first time in 26 years due to my weightloss,another nice thing about healthier living,and I feel great lots more energy,though somedays I still have to drag myself up and exersice even though I'm having a very low energy day (far and few between I'm glad to say).
    You can do this,be prepared for it to take time,the plus with that is a slow and steady loss tends to help with permenent weight loss,this has to be for life. For me a low carb life has been helpful in terms of energy,I do indulge now and then, just not over doing it,that makes this do able for the rest of my life,as to meds,look at all the side effects first,for me I considedered metformin(?) and didn't feel it was worth the risks, a personal choice,my body needs to do this on its own ,again my personal choice.
    So find an exersice program that you like ,even walking is great,watch your carbs,you don't need to go too low and be honest on your food logging,log everything. Keep pushing ahead the scale will move for you.
  • combatrock76
    combatrock76 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your earnest advice and encouragement. I have heard low carb is the way to go, but I find it very hard to figure out how much vs. what I need to intake, especially since I am exercising. Carbs are in everything which seems daunting to try to avoid them when you really can't.

I have thought about doing the high-fat, low carb dietary approach but I have borderline cholesterol and I worry about having more of a problem with it if I go a high fat diet. I worry about what I have may have already done to my ticker.

Right now, I exercise 3x a week. I spend an hour and half at the gym. I am about to up it to 4x. I feel that I am getting the exercise thing down. I am just having a terrible time providing myself with the right diet and structure to support it. I have looked for meal plans. I have tried to work with Nutritionists/Dieticians - with no success.

Food is an issue for me. Not because I eat a lot of it but it's got to be the things I am choosing. I am going to figure it one way or another.
  • bj1220
    bj1220 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Are you on any medication for your thyroid? I take 50 mcg of synthroid a day and that helps. I've not had a problem losing, but need to log EVERYTHING and cut out as much sugar as I can.

I also find the less I sleep, the more I crave sugar.
  • chicanita91
    chicanita91 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Best thing that worked for me, was limit carbs and up your protein... WAY UP. Over what MFP has you set at.

I have PCOS also, and THIS ^^ is your best bet, it is not easy, but possible! -I'm doing this all with exercise and diet, no medications needed to help lose weight if the effort is there! :)
  • Sh5073a
    Sh5073a Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As far as the carbs go: keep in mind that there are "good carbs" or complex carbohydrates that can be helpful. These carbs are higher in fiber, it takes the body longer to break down and it helps to stabilize your sugar levels. They can also make you feel full longer. These types of carbs come in whole grains (oats, barley, quinoa, etc.), veggies and fruits as well as beans and legumes. You still want to be mindful of your carb intake, but not all carbs are created equal.

One thing that has helped me to incorporate more of these has been trying out new recepies. I'll use one of the wholegrains as my base and then use vegetables or fruits or a combination of things that I haven't tried before and look up recipies for those ingredients. Hope this can help a little!
  • combatrock76
    combatrock76 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are you on any medication for your thyroid? I take 50 mcg of synthroid a day and that helps. I've not had a problem losing, but need to log EVERYTHING and cut out as much sugar as I can.

I also find the less I sleep, the more I crave sugar.

Yes, I take 112 mcg synthroid (was taking Levoxyl but they recalled it) daily. My doc has me on Metformin for the PCOS. I also take a prescription based Vitamin D pill, and over the counter B-12, Iron, and Fish Oil.