Substitute for lunch meat?

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm focusing on macronutrients this time around, and I'm struggling to get protein! I got the closest I've ever gotten today when, after a run, I ate a sandwich with double meat. The problem is, that deli meat got me almost 2k over my sodium! Does anyone have a low-sodium sandwich meat? Or a subsitute for deli meat? Would making my own meat work better? I don't mind cooking.

Replies

• hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use the low sodium sara lee low sodium chicken breast...you also could bake your on your own
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You could cook some chicken breast yourself and shred it and put it on a sandwich. That way you could change up the flavour by using different seasonings on them. Tuna is good too.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast. It's awesome. You control the flavors and seasonings. I change mine up every week. Lean protein, versatile, delicious.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Tuna is good too.

Just be careful with tuna as it has it's own fair share of sodium.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It would be best to cook your own meat.
  • Fisherdh13
    Fisherdh13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Check out the Boar's Head website for low sodium, etc. You'll get some ideas of what is available. I vote for chicken, too. Egg salad, just protein and vegetables, etc.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I make breasts on the grill.
  • cyclist_44060
    cyclist_44060 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Best to cook your own meat. I eat a lot of shredded chicken and pork wraps and sliders. I usually add low sodium buffalo sauce on the shredded chicken to spice it up a little. I use to eat alot of deli meat and had the same issue you are having.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i am IN THE SAME BOAT WITH THIS ISSUE!!!

heres what i found

1. make a bunch of chicken breasts and just have your own

2. boars head, dietz, most meat companys have low sodium and even salt free options. but i have to be honest, i have the salt free turkey all last week and it was sort of awful! so this week i got the reduced sodium and i am making chicken breasts tonight to alternate
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I had low sodium thin sliced Hillshire Farms turkey breast on a sandwich today, it's really good and it was on the cheaper end as compared to the other brands without getting the store generic brand. You could also get the small thin boneless skinless chicken breasts and cook them on the George Foreman for 6 minutes, shred and put it on a sandwich. I could not lose weight without my George Foreman!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    A fellow law student, hello! You and I both know the benefits of doing research so let me point you to the right direction with regard to sodium:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMHnJKjQJMA

In terms of upping your protein, are you taking a protein powder? These are really useful to take to work or school because of it's convenience and price/protein content compared to fresh chicken or turkey. And much lower in calories, carbs and fat compared to a sandwich. Protein powders are useful for everyone, from bodybuilders to endurance athletes and to the general population, provided you aren't allergic to the ingredients.

Things like homemade chicken salads with avocado are really good if you want whole foods.
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm currently on an avoid-chicken kick after finishing a 25 page paper about chicken abuse in agriculture (don't ask), but I don't mind cooking my own meat. I figured it would probably be best to cook my own, and it looks like you all agree! I'll look into some options.

Thanks again!
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    A fellow law student, hello! You and I both know the benefits of doing research so let me point you to the right direction with regard to sodium:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMHnJKjQJMA

In terms of upping your protein, are you taking a protein powder? These are really useful to take to work or school because of it's convenience and price/protein content compared to fresh chicken or turkey. And much lower in calories, carbs and fat compared to a sandwich. Protein powders are useful for everyone, from bodybuilders to endurance athletes and to the general population, provided you aren't allergic to the ingredients.

Things like homemade chicken salads with avocado are really good if you want whole foods.

Thanks for the link! I was starting to feel guilty about my love of soy sauce! I do buy the low sodium version but it's still pretty high.