That lovely left over belly skin after baby

Options
So I am a mother of two. I have a 6 year old girl and after I had her I lost the weight fast no problem. Now I had a boy nearly 15 months ago and not only is the weight being a huge pain to lose, but so is the excess skin left over on my belly. I have started running at least 5 times a week and am dropping some weight, but my stomach still has that pooch. Any tips for how to tighten that sucker up?

Replies

• inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Darn our inability to spot reduce! I know they make belly bands out there that are suppose to help tighten skin back up but I'm skeptical that they really work. I found weight loss makes the belly stuff go away. However, my belly was never fully the same after childbirth. I never use to carry weight in my middle when I gained. Now I do. I guess there is just more fat cells there then there use to be *shrug*
  • jaymeshortnacy
    jaymeshortnacy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too have that problem...I have 2 little boys, one of which is only 10 months old, so needless to say I still have that flabby layer of skin -_-

I have been running 4-6 miles every evening & it's definitely been shrinking! I was told that one way to get it to tone up would be to lift weights/resistance training...so I bought a bowflex last night in hopes of toning my ENTIRE body. I will let you know how that goes as I progress, but I think your best bet would be weight lifting...But I could be wrong ;) Good luck!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I'm also a mum of 2 - my son will be 4 this month and my daughter has just turned 2. My belly has got a lot smaller, but it's not the same as before kids. I'm hoping it will be eventually!
  • AlainaC2K
    AlainaC2K Posts: 25
    Options
    Maybe I just need to be more patient since I've really only been truly trying to lose weight the last three months. Let me know how the Bowflex works for you!
  • AlainaC2K
    Options
    After my daughter I always noticed a little skin roll when sitting, this time it seems bigger. Darn kids, good thing they are worth it! ;-)
  • jaymeshortnacy
    jaymeshortnacy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I sure will...hopefully all will work out...i'm in desperate need of a weight lifting buddy...I don't have a clue how to do it...I only know what Google tells me. Just be patient and keep losing...you'll look & feel MORE awesome in no time :)
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I have just learned to accept it. I am pretty lucky though, for having twins my stomach does not look like it was mauled by a lawn mower...but I do have stretch marks and know that skin will never again be as tight as it was. They are 7 now, and I have let that issue pass from my mind. Am I going to be wearing belly shirts around town? No...so who cares?
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    reverse crunches. do them :)

I didn't have a kid, but I was fat, and had a belly that hung over my pants.

its gone away a lot since i started losing weight and doing my workouts.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I am 41...have had 2 kiddos 6.5 years apart. The oldest is 13.5 and the youngest is 7 (I also have 3 older sons from my hubby's first marriage. . .but they gave me grey hair, not stretch marks...LOL). Both my babies were c-section babies. My tummy will never be centerfold material, but I can rock a bikini after a couple of years of hard work and determination. Running, lifting and concentrated core work. . .not fast, but it happened. I'm 5'5" and about 137ish. . .give or take. Certainly not waifish, but the belly can be worked back into reasonable shape as part of an overall fitness plan. Good luck!!
  • UrnAsh
    UrnAsh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just assumed it would stick around lol. It's still not the same after having my first almost 12 years ago..
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping it does just take patience. There have been threads on here where women have shown pics of their over overhang before and after and many do manage to tighten it all up and some completely get rid of it. I've had 5 babies and had a pooch even before number 1 came along but I'm still trying my best to get a flatter tum by doing ab workouts to strengthen the muscles under the fat, cardio to burn the fat (I've become a real fan of Jillian Michaels vids that include both cardio and strength) and I've started to lift some light weights at home while doing squats and such in the hope of getting some whole body toning.
  • AlainaC2K
    Options
    I am 41...have had 2 kiddos 6.5 years apart. The oldest is 13.5 and the youngest is 7 (I also have 3 older sons from my hubby's first marriage. . .but they gave me grey hair, not stretch marks...LOL). Both my babies were c-section babies. My tummy will never be centerfold material, but I can rock a bikini after a couple of years of hard work and determination. Running, lifting and concentrated core work. . .not fast, but it happened. I'm 5'5" and about 137ish. . .give or take. Certainly not waifish, but the belly can be worked back into reasonable shape as part of an overall fitness plan. Good luck!!

lol I wish the belly was as easy a fix as they grey hair. Thank god for hair dye!
  • alisha_1983
    alisha_1983 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I had 3 babies, 3 years in a row. the youngest is now 2. since losing weight, my stomach has gone down considerably...hoping it will keep shrinking/tightning with workouts and strenght training. doing planks/tables will help tighten up everything in your core!
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    5+ years later, 114 pounds, 20% BF, still there.
  • AlainaC2K
    Options
    I'm hoping it does just take patience. There have been threads on here where women have shown pics of their over overhang before and after and many do manage to tighten it all up and some completely get rid of it. I've had 5 babies and had a pooch even before number 1 came along but I'm still trying my best to get a flatter tum by doing ab workouts to strengthen the muscles under the fat, cardio to burn the fat (I've become a real fan of Jillian Michaels vids that include both cardio and strength) and I've started to lift some light weights at home while doing squats and such in the hope of getting some whole body toning.
    I've become a fan of Jillian Michaels too. Started that 30 day shred. She is a good motivator.
  • AlainaC2K
    Options
    I sure will...hopefully all will work out...i'm in desperate need of a weight lifting buddy...I don't have a clue how to do it...I only know what Google tells me. Just be patient and keep losing...you'll look & feel MORE awesome in no time :)
    Well I'd be happy to be your online lifting buddy!
  • AlainaC2K
    Options
    I had 3 babies, 3 years in a row. the youngest is now 2. since losing weight, my stomach has gone down considerably...hoping it will keep shrinking/tightning with workouts and strenght training. doing planks/tables will help tighten up everything in your core!
    It's nice to know there is hope! ;-)
  • AlainaC2K
    Options
    Darn our inability to spot reduce! I know they make belly bands out there that are suppose to help tighten skin back up but I'm skeptical that they really work. I found weight loss makes the belly stuff go away. However, my belly was never fully the same after childbirth. I never use to carry weight in my middle when I gained. Now I do. I guess there is just more fat cells there then there use to be *shrug*
    Are the belly bands those things you wear right after having a baby? I wonder if it would work now ? lol
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I think the answer is probably spanx.
  • AlainaC2K
    Options
    I think the answer is probably spanx.
    Haha I think you might be right!