discovering veggies

Options
mrsbeck
mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
I never liked vegetables. Not even a little bit. Beyond a baked potato and some tomatoes on my burger, I avoided vegetables.
Obviously, once my teenager metabolism switched over to adult metabolism, I was constantly fighting the fat. Then 30 came along. It didn't take long to for me to have 200+ pounds on a 5'1 frame.

So now, at the ripe old age of 33, I'm trying to learn to like veggies. I still really hate carrots, peas and green beans. Cabbage too. I find that I really like red bell peppers and asparagus. Broccoli is doable, though it's a battle to resist putting shredded cheddar on top of it. Cooked spinach, yum. Raw spinach, not so much.
Today I discovered a yummy snack: Sliced cucumber topped with a sprinkle of salt and some lemon pepper. Very good, so I'll keep cukes in the veggie rotation.
That's where my imagination runs out. Anyone have any yummy veggies for me to try?

Replies

• mrsbeck
    Options
    I never liked vegetables. Not even a little bit. Beyond a baked potato and some tomatoes on my burger, I avoided vegetables.
    Obviously, once my teenager metabolism switched over to adult metabolism, I was constantly fighting the fat. Then 30 came along. It didn't take long to for me to have 200+ pounds on a 5'1 frame.

So now, at the ripe old age of 33, I'm trying to learn to like veggies. I still really hate carrots, peas and green beans. Cabbage too. I find that I really like red bell peppers and asparagus. Broccoli is doable, though it's a battle to resist putting shredded cheddar on top of it. Cooked spinach, yum. Raw spinach, not so much.
    Today I discovered a yummy snack: Sliced cucumber topped with a sprinkle of salt and some lemon pepper. Very good, so I'll keep cukes in the veggie rotation.
    That's where my imagination runs out. Anyone have any yummy veggies for me to try?
  • jilldan55
    jilldan55 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the veggie dislike thing. I never ate anything colorful on my plate for most of my life! Now, I am forcer to and find myself sneaking veggies like spinach into my meals in some way. I have chicken for dinner nearly every night and started making it "stuffed" with veggies. I add a piece of provolone cheese and slight bit of butter and it makes the stuffed part of my chicken yummy. My kids even think so!!

On the flip side of this.. I always have too many calories at dinner still to use. I don't know what your situation is. That makes me able to use a bit of cheese and butter if I need to.
    Wish I could help you more!
    :happy:
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is Feta Spinach Omelet, good for breakfast, lunch or dinner.:wink:

Omelet

60 calories 1/2 cup egg beaters
    20 calories steamed baby spinach (keep about 10 leaves out)
    24 calories 2 teaspoons of Feta cheese

Spray pan with pam and add a little I can't believe it's not butter liquid spray, pour egg beaters in pan and then lay the 10 leaves all over the top(top side up) when it's almost set flip the omelet over fill with cooked spinach and sprinkle with Feta fold in half & serve! Enjoy :smile:
    24167.png
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    :happy: What about summer squash on the grill spritzed with some veg oil? Zuchinni? Mushrooms? Eggplant? They are all great on the grill.
  • mrsbeck
    Options
    My husband and I just bought a grill, I'll have to try the grilled eggplant.

I was raised by southerners, who take yellow crookneck squash, roll it in cornmeal, and fry it in oil until it is slimy on the inside, crispy on the outside. I hated it, and cannot think of squash without thinking of the greasy taste of fried squash. I'll have to give it another chance now that I have a grill. I discovered spaghetti squash not too long ago, that was good. In fact, a little too good--makes me suspect that I shouldn't be eating it!:laugh:

Just got back from a really hard gym workout, and just finished logging my lunch, which I was so desperately hungry for that I cooked and ate it before I even took off my workout shoes. It turned out really well, and I enjoyed it immensely, so here it is:

3 oz ground turkey (leftover from dinner, has lots of garlic and oregano in it)
    1 cup Mann's Rainbow salad mix (shredded red cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots)
    3-4 oz spinach
    tbsp chopped garlic
    trace olive oil, just enough to keep pan from sticking
    2 oz feta cheese
    1 LaTortilla soft wrap, whole grain rye

Saute all but last two until veggies just start to soften, but still have some crunch, turkey is heated through (if using uncooked turkey, brown the turkey before putting in the veggies) and spinach is just wilting. Sprinkle generously with lemon pepper (quickly becoming my new obsession). While it cooks, lay out the wrap, and sprinkle feta in a line down the center. Top feta with hot veggie mixture, wrap tightly. Let sit about a minute to soften feta, then OM NOM NOM!

Really satisfying post workout..It took me longer to type the recipe than it did to cook it.

Forgot to mention---397 cals, 13 gr fat. I did not count the olive oil, because it was literally a trace. I use an atomizer for olive oil, so it's just like using PAM.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I went most of the first part of my life and hardly touched a vegi beyond celery and cabbage.

Since then, I've learned that I corn (great even by itself!), onions, green beans (great raw or cooked), cucumbers (although I've pretty much given them up because I just have to have salt on them), and just this week I found out I LOVE squash! You've got to try squash again! I've been putting it in a frypan with a little water and sweet onions and it is great! Today I tried it sliced and topped with a little parmesan then baked for a bit. Loved it!
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    when I first started adding veggies to my diet I tried to hide them. :happy: I would hollow out a cuke, stuff it with seasoned tuna, no mayo, and then slice it into rings. if you can have crackers, its great on top of a cracker, or I would take a zuccini or other squash and cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and fill it with tuna, chicken, or other filling and bake it. now, a plate of veggies is a wonderful thing, but getting started does take some tricks. good luck