Strange Diet

Options
edbecc
edbecc Posts: 6 Member
I am on a really strange diet from my doctor, and I am having trouble finding things to eat. I am unable to eat any of the following: dairy, red meat, fresh veggies, anything above 5 in fiber or 10 in fat, or anything fried at all! Do you have any suggestions of good recipes I could eat?

Replies

• nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Didn't your doc give you some kind of list of what you CAN eat? I'd be confused too!
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    wait, why aren't you allowed to eat vegetables? can you eat beans, lentils? i'd suggest fish and chicken with beans or lentils and berries for something sweet. you might want to look into almond or rice milk, but if you can't have anything with over 5g fiber per serving, you won't be able to eat much cereal.

is there a reason for this diet? i'd ask your doctor to explain the reasons for the restrictions so you can better understand what you're allowed to eat and why. good luck!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Rice and chicken breast or lean fish? Baked, broiled, poached. Why fresh veggies, due to the fiber? You'll be missing out on a lot of nutrients.

Plus, what nvpixie said!
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I think you need to get a second opinion or have your current doctor step up and help you get your diet figured out. This sounds bizarre!
  • edbecc
    Options
    It is because of two separate conditions. Half are for my cholesterol, and the other half is for my digestion. Something is causing severe pain when I eat any food, and so I can not eat anything that is hard to digest. I can eat veg and fruit, but can not eat them fresh.
  • RosaLaRose
    RosaLaRose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When you mean Fresh, is that Raw? Would you be able to steam them?:smile:
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Cook chicken or fish with no oil continuing cooking adding veggies.
  • edbecc
    Options
    Yes, I mean raw. I have steamed veggies, and it does not seem to hurt any more than other foods.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Chicken tenders, ground chicken or turkey, fish, shellfish, tofu, smooth peanut butter, egg whites.

Bake, broil or poach meats. Scramble poach or boil eggs.

Avoid beans, nuts, peas, lentils and legumes.

White breads, plain pasta, white rice, crackers.

Avoid whole grain anything.

Eat well cooked veggies without seeds, stems or skins.

AVOID STEAMED VEGETABLES. Very high in fiber.

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivorshipduringandaftertreatment/nutritionforpeoplewithcancer/low-fiber-foods
  • fatfishy
    fatfishy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try googling 'low FODMAP diet' . This appears fairly similar, it's low in gas producing food and residual fibre.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Try googling 'low FODMAP diet' . This appears fairly similar, it's low in gas producing food and residual fibre.

I was going to mention GAPS diet, but it sounds pretty similar to this - try the probiotics that GAPS recommends, as well!
  • PinkyMouse
    PinkyMouse Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello,

it is hard to meet all these restrictive conditions... Did you try to see a nutritionist ? This might be a good option to find meals and recipes. Your doctor might even help you to find one in your neighbourhood.

Good luck !
  • lisabrown4239
    Options
    When I went to a work shop once they said one of the best things for diabetics and cholesterol is plain Fiber one cereal , the original. it has 14 grams of fiber in 1/2 cup. easy to digest and can mix in Yogurt
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • edbecc
    Options
    When I went to a work shop once they said one of the best things for diabetics and cholesterol is plain Fiber one cereal , the original. it has 14 grams of fiber in 1/2 cup. easy to digest and can mix in Yogurt

I used to eat that! It was good, but I can not eat either one of those now. I have to avoid fiber and dairy. My mom eats this for breakfast, and it helps her with her diabetes.
  • edbecc
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. :happy:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Hello,

it is hard to meet all these restrictive conditions... Did you try to see a nutritionist ? This might be a good option to find meals and recipes. Your doctor might even help you to find one in your neighbourhood.

Good luck !

^ This. You need to speak to a nutrionist/dietician to help you out here because you don't want to end up with more health issues because you had to do this.