I need help getting past this plateau!!!

Options
Hey guys I've been stuck at a weight loss plateau for about 2- 3 months now and I really want to push past it! I'm looking for all the help I can get!

I started my weight loss progress around June 2012 at around 200 lbs and have lost around 30 lbs since then. This entire year has not always been dedicated to dieting, but I've been able to maintain my weight. I want to dedicate this summer to finally getting to my goal of being 155 so I'm looking for any tips to help me drop these final 15 lbs.

I'm 5'9" and I weigh approximately 170 lbs and have around 20% body fat.

I currently manage my caloric intake by cutting 20% from my TDEE which is around 2300 calories. My macros are 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. I'm doing stronglifts 5x5, but it hasn't yielded that great of results for me so far. I also do muay thai kick boxing classes, but since I'm moving back home I won't be doing those for the summer.

I was thinking about maybe continuing stronglifts 5x5 and replacing muay thai with HIIT exercises in between lifting days to keep me burning fat. I plan on staying in the 2000-2500 calorie range and managing my macro nutrients religiously. I drank a little in college and I've decided to cut that all together for the summer so there's that too.

Are there any things that you guys have done that have helped you push past your plateaus? I'd love to here them! Thanks in advance for the help and support!

Replies

• ceevar
    ceevar Posts: 10
    Options
    bump
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    Have you tried mixing up your food choices and exercise. It's surprising how the body can get used to either the same old foods or same exercises. When I was injured, i swapped running for water aerobics, boy did I ache the next day and lost weight! My body wasn't used to this type of effort and responded accordingly!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    my thoughts:

its not the exercise, its the calories. It doesn't matter how much exercise you do, if you aren't eating less than you burn then you won't lose weight.

According to your numbers and Katch-McArdle, ESTIMATES your BMR to be about 1700 calories. If you have been at a plateau for a while now and have been logging honestly and weighing enough to show that your weight has not changed, you have a pretty good idea of what your maintenance calories are right now based on actual data. Use that information to make a change.

Bottom line, all the BMR, TDEE, and calories in vs out are just estimates. There is error (quite a bit actually) in all of them. Reconcile your results with your actual data and make a small change and see if it doesn't work.

Exercise to keep your muscle mass up, but you have to take care of your calories to drop the fat.