Good low cal party food

Options
blondeheat
blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
I am going to a party this weekend where you bring a munchie. What's something good that I can eat and avoid all the super bad other stuff that will be there?

Replies

• blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am going to a party this weekend where you bring a munchie. What's something good that I can eat and avoid all the super bad other stuff that will be there?
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    raw veggie skewers (cherry toms, peppers, cucumber etc) with homemade cilantro hummus. Just make regular hummus and puree in a bunch of cilantro. SO fresh, so tasty and super healthy!! :drinker:
  • FletcherChic
    FletcherChic Posts: 158
    Options
    i always carry an emergecy pack of sugar-free mint gum...it keeps my mouth busy so that i am not shoveling food in and if it's mint, it makes anything you do put in your mouth taste kinda gross
  • frankp
    frankp Posts: 83
    Options
    They have these large party fruit platters that you can get at Costco; cantelope, honey due, watermelon, pineapple, grapes, mango, all cut up. That's what I'd bring.
  • icheeemama
    Options
    Make cupcakes . . . one box of cake mix (any flavor) with 12 oz any flavor diet soda . . . tastes like the real thing . . . one cupcake is about 60 calories . . . this will satisfy your sweet tooth, and everyone will love the fact that the cupcakes are made w/diet soda . . . . I usually frost them w/dream whip which is only about 15 calories . . . enjoy/good luck
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Make cupcakes . . . one box of cake mix (any flavor) with 12 oz any flavor diet soda . . . tastes like the real thing . . . one cupcake is about 60 calories . . . this will satisfy your sweet tooth, and everyone will love the fact that the cupcakes are made w/diet soda . . . . I usually frost them w/dream whip which is only about 15 calories . . . enjoy/good luck
    Do you have any flavor combos you suggest? I would love to try that this weekend and if they are yummy serve them at my daughter sbday for the mommys:happy:
  • dodgergirl
    dodgergirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Vanilla cake mix with diet orange soda (creamsicle). Diet Dr. Pepper with Devils food mix (cherry chocolate). Lemon cake mix with Diet 7up (refreshing).
  • icheeemama
    Options
    The last one I made was cherry chip cake mix w/diet Black Cherry Soda . . . Marble cake w/diet cream soda is good too. If you google it, an entire list of different flavors of soda and flavors of cake mixes to put together will come up . . . that is how I got my ideas . . . :happy:
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am really intrigued by this...so do you follow the directions on the mix and just add diet soda, or do you pour the mix in the bowl, pour in the soda, mix and bake?

Don't leave me hanging! I really miss cake!! :sad:
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Try Josephs Lavash bread in the deli section of Wally world. lay it out and spread it with mustard, fat free mayo, whatever. layer deli turkey, and lite cheese and some lettuce. roll up and slice into rings. it looks great on a platter and the Lavash is only a hundred calories, plus what ever filling. you get lots of rings out of it. and it looks great on a tray.
    stuff some mushrooms or tomatoes.
    make a watermelon basket, lots of work though.
    buy a veggie tray, and a green pepper, cut the top off the pepper, hollow out the seeds, fill with no fat dressing or salsa and use it as the dip bowl.
    It might be more calories than you want, but try a can of triangle biscuits, lay out in a ring with the points touching. layer cooked cubed chicken, broccoli, a smidge or cheese, pull the ends of the triangles up to cover the filling bake at 350 till done, use the filled pepper idea for fat free mayo in the center of the ring and serve on a bed of shredded lettuce.
    sugar free pudding, mixed with sugar free fat free cool whip, mandarin oranges, unsweet pineapple, and if you must mini marshmallows. ok, that should get you started. now, I have to go cook. laugh.
  • areason4stars
    Options
    mrsbeck~ Its just the cake mix and can of diet soda , mix then bake :)
  • mlck2323
    mlck2323 Posts: 87
    Options
    instead of making cake mixes with diet soda to decrease the calories of the oil and eggs, you guys should try making healthier desserts such as muffins with whole wheat flour, oatmeal, dried fruits and applesauce as a substitute for oil.

Just google desserts with whole wheat flour.

Traditional cake mixes still contain a very high amount of sugar and refined flour. White, refined flour is BAD! It is a simple carbohydrate that can be stored as fat and doesn't provide the complex, slow acting, energizing healthy carbs that products made with whole wheat do.

Diet things are not good for you, they just aren't quite as bad as their full-caloried counterparts. I don't mean to be a downer but its true!!!
  • maggierex
    maggierex Posts: 59
    Options
    am i doing something wrong?? i got the reduced sugar devil's food cake mix to make the cupcakes. a serving is 1/12 and 150 calories, so i figured that once i made cupcakes they would make more than 12, but i only got 14 out of the batch. i filled the cups 2/3 way full like it said on the box and they are in no way large cupcakes. how do you get 60 calories for a cupcake? help! i really want to make some small, simple, sweet treat that i can actually eat!