Are there any vegans here?

Options
I'm a vegan and I'd love to hear some healthy but doable foood suggestions!

Also, just love being in contact with other vegans, yeah!

Replies

• jlwhit04
    jlwhit04 Posts: 5
    Options
    So I'm not vegan, but I am a lactose intolerant vegetarian who's not a big fan of eggs...so I figure I'm at least halfway there :)

My favorite three recipes at the moment:

Veggie Tofu Stir Fry with Quinoa - http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/tofu-asparagus-red-pepper-stir-fry-with-quinoa-10000000665176/

Sweet Chili Tofu (if you're okay with sugar) - http://chefinyou.com/2011/10/fried-tofu-sweet-chille-sauce/
    **I dry fry the tofu instead of deep frying it. Much healthier, way less calories.

Lentil Loaf - http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maindishentreerecipes/r/ricelentilloaf.htm

Andddd now I'm hungry!
  • aidendart
    aidendart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Tofu lemon carrots and green bearn :)
    extra firm tofu cooked in spicy olive oil. (remove tofu)
    out in the pan shredded carrots with fresh lemon juice and a little soy sauce heat just for a min while stiring (really just to heat)
    then steam some cut green beans. (i buy frozen steam pack)
    this is one of my go to 10 min meals.

I also make vegan tacos
    Heat up corn tortillas
    slow cook black beans with big slices of jalepeno pepper (you can remove when done cooking) add a little salt
    slices avacado and chunky salsa. another quick meal.

feel free to add me i can use vegan/veg friends :)
  • cvilain13
    cvilain13 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm a vegan :) I do all my own cooking. Best decision I ever made. Anyone can message me with questions, I love to talk about veganism. :)
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Check out the Happy Herbivores Group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    One of my faves is baked sweet potato with the following topping (ingredients listed tops 2 sweet potatoes):

Combine 1/4 cup beans (red, black, white, pinto...your choice), 1 diced tomato, 1/2 diced onion, 1 tablespoon ground flax, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 tablespoon lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix it all up and top the sweet potatoes.

I usually just stab the potatoes with a fork several times and microwave them for 10 minutes and they turn out perfect!

My 13 year old asks for all the topping :)
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My hands down favorite vegan & weight loss friendly cook book is "Appetite for Reduction" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I could live on the zucchini- black bean-kalamata olive tacos!
  • derdriu2000
    derdriu2000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Vegan here for almost 30 years. Best cookbooks I have ever come across for Vegans are by Dr. McDougal. There are about 4 or 5 of them and they have amazing recipes for everything. Lasagna and Manicotti that fooled my meat eating Italian family. No processed food, all natural. They may be little hard to find now, they were written awhile ago. I am sure you can find them on Amazon or Ebay.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Coat tofu in nutritional yeast and pan fry tofu in PAM until crispy. Sautee sliced bell peppers, onions and bamboo shoots to your preferences, then toss with tofu in a light teriyaki sauce. Serve alone or with quinoa (if you like fusion, add caluiflower to the mix and wrap in a low-calorie torilla). One of my favorites. Not a vegan anymore, but vegetarian who consumes very little dairy unless going out (mostly to make things easy for my non-veg girlfriend).
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Vegan here!
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    How to spot a Vegan: DON'T WORRY THEY'LL BLOODY TELL YOU!
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Or in this case, how to spot an omnivore.
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Vegan for 6+ years here! Happy Hervibores is a good group here. There is also Plant Strong Support group and some others! Lots of recipes there. I'm always down for a new vegan friend!
  • lemonmon1
    Options

Or in this case, how to spot an omnivore.

Hahaha so true! Silly omnivores!
  • pepperdove
    pepperdove Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hooray for vegan eating! It's so yummy.
  • TheHorribleBlob
    TheHorribleBlob Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan! My diet's kind of boring though.
  • veronicaib
    Options
    Vegan here. Feel free to add me.
  • lemonmon1
    Options
    Coat tofu in nutritional yeast and pan fry tofu in PAM until crispy. Sautee sliced bell peppers, onions and bamboo shoots to your preferences, then toss with tofu in a light teriyaki sauce. Serve alone or with quinoa (if you like fusion, add caluiflower to the mix and wrap in a low-calorie torilla). One of my favorites. Not a vegan anymore, but vegetarian who consumes very little dairy unless going out (mostly to make things easy for my non-veg girlfriend).

You and your gf should go to a place where you can both get the food you want. In my opinion, things should be made easier for you. She can eat anywhere! My husband is vegan, but when we go out to eat with family or friends it's always to a place we can all enjoy!
  • tiddlebit11
    tiddlebit11 Posts: 182
    Options
    I AM VEGAN!!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! :D
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I really find it strange that people can find a vegan diet boring. They us do much choice it there and without the limitations that having to include near it actually opens up your diet to far more creativity. If your diet is full just Google any food styles you like and find an eye opening world of vegan choices

Obviously to the original poster. I'm vegan feel free to add me.
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I really find it strange that people can find a vegan diet boring. They us do much choice it there and without the limitations that having to include near it actually opens up your diet to far more creativity. If your diet is full just Google any food styles you like and find an eye opening world of vegan choices

Obviously to the original poster. I'm vegan feel free to add me.
    Not necessarily what he/she meant. I'm vegan and my diet is pretty boring as well. Doesn't mean I'm incapable of getting creative, it's just that I don't often feel the need to eat anything fancy or new. I'm fine with the same old stuff if it tastes good.