help I don't eat fruit or veggies.

Options
I have a problem. I don't eat fruit or veggies and I know it's bad I just can't fathom the taste. I gag!
the only fruit I like is cherrys, bananas, and pineapple.
is there anything I can take to supplement veggies and fruit?

Replies

• jeanninebrewer
    Options
    you're kidding, right?
  • mysi019
    mysi019 Posts: 55
    Options
    I like fruits and veggies, most not all, and i do eat them on a daily basis. But i also try and take a supplement called festiv veggies and festiv fruit. They are organic. My sister in law swears by them, so i thought i would give them a try. She claims she has so much more energy when she is taking them, me on the other hand have not noticed a huge difference. But i also will go days without taking them, i have a hard time remembering. I think you should eat as many natural fruits and veggies as you can find you like. Also have you given the ones you havent liked a try again. I know i hated tomatoes growing up and i had one a couple of months ago on taco dip and i didnt mind them. However i do not like slices of them, the have to be cut up in small pieces. Also just released i like zuccini, which i also never liked growing up. Good luck
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    There are various green powders, v8, and other juices, but you need to work on adjusting your palate. You are too old to still be gagging on fruits and veggies! Getting used to them, and even loving them will not only help with your weight loss journey since they are rich in fiber, but help prevent cancer, heart disease, and many other ailments.

Not sure where you live, but it's a fantastic summer for fruit. The nectarines, watermelon, plums, and bananas are particularly good. Veggies are even easier because you can season them right. Try mixing them into your favorite meat dishes so they can absorb the flavor. Substitute kale and spinach for lettuce in salads (you do eat salads, right?). You could even throw some in the blender and make a green smoothies to gulp down.
  • fightingthebulge
    fightingthebulge Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    kidding? about what? I am asking if there is a pill out there like a vitamin that has the same nutrients as veggies and fruit why would that be a joke?
  • fightingthebulge
    Options
    thank you yes I will look into this.
  • fightingthebulge
    Options
    yes I know I am too old to be gaging on it but I can't help what my body does,. I mean there are some things I can eat like peas, potatoes but thats a high carb, broccoli i actually can tollerate but thats about it . watermelon is good but i thought that was like water. not really many nutrients in it. you know you are right about those v8 drinks im going to give it a try thanks!
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree with cutmd--while there are a lot of supplements out there, they can't replace all the good stuff in fruit and veggies, most importantly the fiber which acts to supress hunger (I highly doubt *any* fruit/veggie supplement would give you the amount of fiber you would normally find in the amount of fresh food that would provide equal amounts of vitamins). Also, these supplements would need to be processed to reduce them to powder/pill form, so even if they're organic you're still not getting the best quality nutrition. And, they're expensive, probably more so than fresh fruit and veg. You could try starting with inconspicuous ones that have neutral flavours like cauliflower and season it however you want. I saw a recipe once for "Apple Pie Carrots", which is essentially carrots which were steamed, then tossed in butter (you could use something else if butter is too many calories/too much fat) and a cinnamon/nutmeg blend, so they don't really taste like carrots but they're pretty decent nutritionally (and, since they're steamed they retain a lot of their original vitamins, and the fat from the butter helps you absorb the vitamin A from them).
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Oh you can also try Alive or Organic life vitamins. Just remember the nutrients won't be as good and there is no fiber benefit. It really is worth getting over the fruit and veggie aversion:flowerforyou:
  • fightingthebulge
    Options
    yea you're right. thanks!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    you're kidding, right?

lots of adults don't like the taste or texture of veggies. it is not unusual.

to the o.p., try juice plus gummies (www.jpgail.com). they are 17 fruits and vegetables in a tasty soft capsule. my kids love them and i swear by them; i credit them with helping my son, who was autistic, become a normal kid.

they include:
    •Apple: Pectin along with a variety of polyphenols and other antioxidants
    •Acerola Cherry: Vitamin C and anthocyanadins
    •Cranberry: Flavonoid and phenolic antioxidants
    •Orange: Vitamin C, folate, and several carotenoids including beta-carotene and beta-cryptoxanthin
    •Papaya: Vitamin C, potassium, and several carotenoids including beta-carotene and beta-cryptoxanthin
    •Peach: Vitamin C and several carotenoids
    •Pineapple: Vitamin C and bromelain
    •Tomato: Vitamin C, polyphenols, and several carotenoids including lycopene
    •Oat Bran: Dietary fiber, vitamin E, several B vitamins, and minerals
    •Beet: Folate, iron and calcium
    •Broccoli: Folate, vitamin C, and several carotenoids including beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, and glucosinolates
    •Cabbage: Vitamin C, folate, and glucosinolates
    •Carrot: Several carotenoids including beta-carotene, along with vitamin E
    •Kale: Vitamin C, folate, magnesium, and several carotenoids including beta carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin
    •Parsley: Vitamin C, folate, several carotenoids and flavonols
    •Spinach: Folate, vitamin C, vitamin E, several carotenoids, iron, and calcium
    •Brown Rice Bran: Dietary fiber, several B vitamins, and minerals

i also hide lots of veggies in the food we eat. carrots, zucchini, cauliflower, celery, etc hide well in sloppy joes and spaghetti sauce. mince them and you will not see or taste them. pm me if you'd like some other suggestions to encorporate veggies in your food.

since you already like a few fruits, stick with those. there is nothing wrong with that. baby steps and pretty soon you'll be loving them all (except peas; girl i am with you on hating peas)!
  • fightingthebulge
    Options
    you guys are right I guess I will just have to hold my nose and eat them hahaha, :laugh: i will try and better the taste somehow . thanks again
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of pills that can supplement the vitamins and minerals you're missing from produce, however the water, fiber, and digestive bulk cannot be replaced or reproduced. You said you like cherries, bananas, watermelon and pineapple... all fairly high-sugar fruits. Have you tried COOKING other fruits? It increases their sweetness. Watermelon is a lot of water, but it's also very filling, which is good.

What is it about these foods that "makes you gag"? Is it the flavor? The texture? Is it a problem when they are cooked or just when they are raw? There' SO much you can do with fruits and veggies that changes the flavor and texture so drastically, that there is no reason that you can't find a mix of them that you *can* swallow.

You may not ever go for raw zucchini, but maybe you can find some love for mashed cauliflower and potatoes.

I think your key problem may be too much reliance on starches and sugar. Reducing the intake of those items will allow your body to adjust to a new set of foods.

Also, I found this interesting article on adult picky eaters. Maybe it'll help, too.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodResourceCenter/picky-eating-medical-condition-covered-insurance/story?id=11361332
  • neclar
    neclar Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    when i was working and needed my veggies but couldn't take a break , this helped me.... i'd get some sort of juice, any kind you like, cook-up my veggies real soft, and then blender it together. drinking my veggies was easier than eating them. same a v8 and such but more "homemade" style.

Good luck
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a similar problem. I eat almost any fruit, vegetable, or salad if it's on my plate but it's hard for me to remember to buy them or eat them at home. I almost never do.
    Peeling is just disgusting!

At work days I eat at the cafeteria where I get a ready made salad with the food. I still like to use a multi-vitamin and omega3 supplements. Like someone said, taking them in pills is a lot better than not getting them at all!
    Also I think the supplements are an especially good idea when ever you're on diet so you'll get enough vitamins.

Ps: There are also fiber pills! My wife needed to use them in Japan. She couldn't get enough fiber from food due to he celiacs disease.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Just try and eat them. I used to never eat a lot of fruits and veggies and now I eat a lot of them. Honestly it takes about 15-16 tries of eating something to develop a taste for it. I buy tons of fresh veggies from Trader Joes and eat them at every meal!
  • highrise
    highrise Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    There's no point in forcing yourself to eat things you don't like - you're an adult now, you can make your own choices, and eating should be a pleasure (not too much of one though lol, that's why we're all here!) not a chore.

There are loads and loads of types of fruit and veg out there - why not try something you've never tried before, just one thing a week and see how you get on? You might surprise yourself!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    look up healthy recipes for children, alot of children have the same problems as you, so many have created ways of sneaking veggies into their childrens diets. try adding pureed veggies into soups,sauces, and burgers. you'll never taste the difference.

on a side note, i LOVE veggies, try going to a farmers market and trying new things :)
  • fightingthebulge
    Options
    good idea!
  • mfassett
    Options
    There are many different ways to eat fruits and vegetables. Try stir fried vegetables.... there are a variety of sauces that you can use to maybe make things more palatable to you.

Baked apple with just a sprinkle of cinnamon...

Make a small fruit smoothie by blending fruit together (I wouldn't use juice though, just blend fruits).

Try things like zucchini shredded and added to a salad... makes it a lot better.

Try blanched broccoli and cauliflower on your salad. Boil water, put in the vegetables for 2 mins, then dump the veggies into a colander.. then pour cold water on the veggies to stop them from continuing to cook.

Try adding a little parmesan cheese to your vegetables.

Try adding "spike" to vegetables. Google "spike" it's a seasoning.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    you can always do smoothies you can put fruit and veggies together and use your banana or pineapple for the main flavors. Maybe dehydrated fruits?