what happens if you eat too much protein?

Options
I was just wondering what happens when you eat too much protein and is it bad cause my target on my food diary says to eat 56 grams but i ate 100 g.

Replies

• micah2009
    micah2009 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Occasionally? Nothing, but constant excess could cause undue stress on the kidneys. Make sure you are getting plenty of water either way (it helps)
  • fightingthebulge
    fightingthebulge Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    good to know ... thanks!
  • way2busy
    Options
    I tend to eat more protein also. Be sure you exercise more, continue to drink plenty of water, Another issue regarding getting too much protein is leeching of calcium from the bones. So be sure to get plenty of calcium.
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    At 100 grams? Absolutely nothing (adverse, that is). Most people SHOULD be eating 80-100ish grams each day.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i try to get 98 g of protien every day (not that i always succeed). i think mpf has really low protien settings (15% of calories). i changed mine (45% of calories). :) you will be fine.

pay attention to how you feel. some people do better on a higher protien diet where others become very sleepy and sluggish if they consume too much. your body will let you know whether to increase your protien intake on a daily basis or not.
  • ghostlystate1980
    Options
    I was just wondering what happens when you eat too much protein and is it bad cause my target on my food diary says to eat 56 grams but i ate 100 g.

I just read an article about eating too much protein and what you don't use for building muscle is turned into fat because your body doesn't have use for it. Most people only need 1 serving per meal.
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My diary is set at 45g per day. When 100g of chicken breast meat comes to 31g it dosn't leave hardly anything for the rest of the day. A small amount of milk and 1 egg throws you over. Mines always way over but it comes from bread and weetabix would you believe.

As scarecrow41 says, 80 to 100 is probably about right. I reduce the fat a little and then the calories add up right.
  • scarecrow41
    Options

I just read an article about eating too much protein and what you don't use for building muscle is turned into fat because your body doesn't have use for it. Most people only need 1 serving per meal.

That article couldn't be more wrong. Unused carbs are stored as fat, protein is not.
  • SarahElittlebit
    SarahElittlebit Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would think it all depends on the type of protein you are consuming. If you are consuming a lot of high fat protein such as red meat and cheese you are probably not helping yourself, but if you are consuming skim milk, fish, and poultry...go for it. Just pay attention to the type of protein you are eating.