Eat more avocados? No problem!

Options
Hi_Im_Jess
Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
So.. my doctor told me that the only issue with my cholesterol is that I don't have a high enough HDL and she recommended that I eat more avocados which is awesome because I love them. The only issue I'm having now is that I'm getting bored. What's your favorite recipe that includes avocados?

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Oh I stick them on salads, make guacamole, slice in sandwiches.
  • blueeyez1727
    blueeyez1727 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i love to put them on salads, make turkey and avocado sandwiches or eat them just sliced with lemon juice and some garlic salt. there are recipes for avocado fries or even sweet recipes where you use avocado instead of butter out there!
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I got avocado on an egg sandwich... I thought it sounded gross at first then I ate it and was in love. Since then I've been putting avocado on everything. I also got it on a tuna salad sandwich, they went very light on the mayo (hardly any) & with the avocado it was sooooo good! I think you could pretty much use avocado in anything you want to add some creaminess too.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    I made some pasta salad last week where I switched out mashed up avocados instead of mayo, it was delicious. I just find myself getting bored with sliced avocados on everything. Maybe I'll make some guacamole tonight!
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    I got avocado on an egg sandwich... I thought it sounded gross at first then I ate it and was in love. Since then I've been putting avocado on everything. I also got it on a tuna salad sandwich, they went very light on the mayo (hardly any) & with the avocado it was sooooo good! I think you could pretty much use avocado in anything you want to add some creaminess too.

I had an avocado omlette once, I thought it would be gross too lol. It turned out to be awesome.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You can make a tuna salad with avacado instead of mayo. Works pretty well. I also make a black bean and corn salsa using avacado's to put on top of salads. So good.
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    Avocado egg salad :)

Here is one recipe - I'm sure there are tons of others. http://www.incredibleegg.org/recipes/recipe/tomato-avocado-egg-salad

I have just started eating avocado in ways other than guacamole and really loving it as it is yummy and keeps me feeling satisfied!
  • Andrewcpimpin
    Andrewcpimpin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Blackened avocado. Avocado mashed potatoes. Avocado with eggs inside
  • nickijhughes
    Options
    You can Google a recipe for vegan chocolate pudding, its so good. 2 avacadoes, water, pure organic agave nectar (costco) and pure raw organic cocoa and blend it up. My kids didn't even know the difference. Not sure what the calorie count on that is but its definitely a tasty way to prepare an avacado.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    YES YOU GUYS! This is exactly what I want, things I've never thought to make before! Awesome :happy:
  • lilig81
    lilig81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As kids my mum used to cut them in half, score it, sprinkle a little salt, olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top and we would chomp away at it with teaspoons. We'd normally have this as a starter The avocado acts as it's own little bowl for the dressing - just make sure you don't pierce the skin or you'll loose the lovely dressing!!!

Enjoy!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Avocados are really good in smoothies. They give a great creamy texture with not a lot of flavor changes. It's great with just vanilla yogurt or protein powder and avocado, too. A banana makes it even sweeter.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I love a big bacon, lettuce, tomato, and avocado sandwich.
  • blueeyez1727
    blueeyez1727 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    OH! i forgot--avocado ENCHILADAS! ommm nomm nomm
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love avocados.

I mash my avocado and put it on my bread with my veggie bacon. Instead of mayo or Miracle whip
    Love guacamole with my special K chips.

My problem is in Springfield, Mo , trying to find ripe avocados.
    I went to the store today and they are hard as a rock and have no flavor.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I don't eat avocados as they are...got very sick on some guacamole once and haven't been able to face them since. But I do want all that awesome nutrition. So...avocado, pear, vanilla protein, and a tablespoon of coconut oil in a smoothie. Insanely delicious.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    I don't eat avocados as they are...got very sick on some guacamole once and haven't been able to face them since. But I do want all that awesome nutrition. So...avocado, pear, vanilla protein, and a tablespoon of coconut oil in a smoothie. Insanely delicious.

I had a similar experience with pickles, wont go near them. Havent had one in 20 years lol
  • elseibel
    elseibel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to make chicken salad with an avocado, some plain greek yogurt, onion, cilantro, salt, chili powder, garlic, lime juice, and chicken. Really, just chicken salad made with guacamole. So so so so good.
  • Shadesofjade
    Shadesofjade Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    avocado with a little tamari and toasted sesame oil. yum! i slice the avocado in half and just rub a little on both sides and eat it like that. SUPER tasty. I just ate it an hour ago. ;)
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    don't know if anyone already suggested this but i love a sandwich/wrap with cream cheese/neufchatel, chicken, and avocaod + whatever lettuce/veggies you want.