Not losing weight, need grocery advice for diabetic.

Options
I have been borderline diabetic since early adolescence. However, until my late teens, I was under 120 pounds and in great shape! In my early 20's, my doctor put me on metformin to control my levels,they were always really low in the morning and high after eating. After losing my health insurance, I had to switch to a doctor that I could afford out of pocket. Since I am less than a whole point away from being diagnosable, he took me off of metformin,telling me that I don't need to take it. I gained 50 pounds. A couple of years ago, I tried a couple of diets( the HCG diet and phentermine). I successfully lost almost 40 pounds. 2 years later, I weighed in at almost 50 pounds heavier. Since joining this site, I have lost 5 pounds. It's not much,but better than nothing. However, I can't seem to get started on the next few pounds. I need some breakfast, lunch,and snack ideas. I really don't like "sugar free" items because they make me sick to my stomach. However, I need them to be sort of inexpensive. I have a tight budget,and it makes it difficult for me to follow a strict diet. Any suggestions are helpful,though.Last year, I asked my doctor if there was a nutrition program I should take,and,once again, he said that it's not necessary. I have an appointment next week,but I'm sure he's just going to say,"If you want to lose the weight, try harder." How can I try harder if I don't know what to eat to keep myself from starving!? Sorry that this is so long.

Replies

• kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    anyone? =(
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I found that artificial sweeteners make me more hungry. Fiber is what helps me feel full and satisfied. I add celery to most dishes to add fiber and volume. I add cinnamon to my coffee for "sweetness". My mother is diabetic and genetically I have been following her so I have been more conscious of my sugar and carb intake.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have a diabetic friend who lost a lot of weight switching to a low carb diet at the advice of her doctor. She wasn't eating great before that (a lot of fast food and soda), but it seriously seemed like the weight had just fallen off of her from one time I saw her to the next.

Definitely run things by your doctor before you severely overhaul your diet though.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    Go onto Adkins.com and sign up. They will send you a booklet on eating low carb and a book with all foods and their carbs, calories etc. All for no cost... :) I am not saying go on the Adkins diet, but it is a good start and lots of good recipes. Also the Adkin goodies are amazingly good.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    What are you eating now? Open your diary and we might be able to help with replacements.... I would just eat protein with every meal and try to cut out any refined carbs...
    But difficult to help if we can't see what you normally like to eat...
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the low carb, high fat, moderate protein like Atkins or Keto. It would help keep your blood glucose levels and insulin in control. However, eat whole foods, nothing processed at all.
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It sounds like to me like perhaps you should follow more of a lower carb lifestyle being borderline diabetic. It can be done on a budget as its not all steak and lobster, although plenty want to think that. When I was on hardcore Atkins (meaning I followed it to the letter) I was able to buy groceries for $20 a week, as long as I bought things on sale and kept the freezer full of frozen veggies.

Chicken thighs and drums, pork chops with bone, even some steaks on sale are cheap to have on hand. I lived on canned tuna fish, mayo, eggs, cheeses, and whatever was in my freezer for a long time due to the down turn in the economy and only had $50 to spend a week on ALL groceries, including paper goods.

I was able to lose 90 pounds and keep them off for years.

Do a little research as to what groceries you'll need, make a list and start slowly building your pantry and freezer. There are so many protein choices and frozen veggies are so good for you, it doesn't have to be fresh ones where the prices spike due to availability.

Example of my meals were:

Breakfast: 2-3 egg scrambled, salsa and cheese, coffee with half and half
    Lunch: Salad made with iceberg lettuce (romaine when the budget allowed), canned tuna, grape tomatoes, cucumber and real ranch dressing
    Dinner: A protein (one or two chicken thighs, a small steak, possible a can of tuna mixed with mayo), a low starch veggie like broccoli or cauliflower
    Dessert-sugar free jello made from the box, not the individual cups
    Snack-black olives, cheese, dill pickles, celery

You'll notice a better blood sugar reading the more you're on a lower carb plan.

Of course this is just a suggestion. I know low carb isn't for everyone, but its sustainable and easily done if the effort is made and a budget is set.

Good luck and hopefully you'll find something that works for you.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    High Protein, minimum carbs, lots of water, fiber and increased exercise.

Hard to say much more without seeing your diary.

Maybe a protein shake to start the day, lots of water, snack if needed and half a sandwich, whole grain bread, easy on condiments with good meat like boars head. Baked chicken for dinner and another snack if needed.

Best of luck!!!
  • djrn144
    djrn144 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about the lower carb meals, also don't be afraid of fats because they do help you feel satisfied with your food choices. The refined carbs are what causes the blood sugar problems for a lot of people and are not that satisfying for very long. Also, try to never feel like you are starving because it is much easier to eat the wrong food such as quick carbs, etc. good luck!
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I've been arguing with the diabetic monster only since December, and have made a major overhaul in my menu. If you think you are heading towards a diabetes diagnosis, then make sure to arm yourself with as much information as you can. A good sight I was recommended to when I first started was:

www.bloodsugar101.com

Along the way, try to restrict your carbs - some diabetics can handle up to 120 g carbs per day, others only about 50 g. If you have a meter (or can get one) that would be the best way to make sure you are keeping your blood sugars in check.

I, personally, have had to lean heavily towards the ketogenic (Adkins type) menu, but if you are conscientious of WHICH carbs spike your sugars, then you can work on replacing/eliminating them.

As for a good starter list:

Meat - any kind you prefer, but the less processed the better
    Veggies - the higher the fiber, the better. Try to stay away from the really starchy veggies - white potatoes, white rice, (possibly) brown rice, unless your numbers stay sane with these.
    Fruit - limited quantities. Try to stick with berries and/or cherries. Some diabetics can handle citrus, others - not so well.
    Fats - Use whole fat foods - though, try to stay away from the "bad" fats. Avocados, real butter, whole milk (if your numbers don't start heading for the danger zones), olive oil, coconut oil... yeah, I think you can get this one.
    Seasonings - full fat salad dressings (watch the carb/sugar/protein ratios and how it affects your numbers), spices - flavor to your preferred taste.

Hope this helps!
  • nacv77
    nacv77 Posts: 2
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Glucose-Revolution-Eating-ebook/dp/B001NCDC04/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1370292688&sr=8-3&keywords=The+GI+Revolution

This book talks about using the glycemic index when making carb choices, and the index itself was designed for diabetics. :smile:
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I don't eat very well since I am always cooking for more than just myself. It's kind of difficult to change my diet without changing his too haha. While he says that he is fine eating whatever I have to eat, he brings home stuff that we have agreed not to eat. Didn't know that everyone couldn't see my diary though! That's kind of news to me. haha I tried asking my sisters about it since they have diabetes. One has type 1,and the other has type 2. Also, I've asked my grandmother,but honestly I don't think she maintains hers. My problem is hereditary,and even existed when I weighed about 103 pounds.

Any suggestions on foods to eat that will keep my sugar up during a hardcore workout? That's a HUGE issue that I have. When my sugar bottoms out during a kickboxing class and I get really sick...no worse feeling in the world. Also, I hike alone a lot,and always take glucose tabs or snacks because I'm afraid I will pass out on the trail. I know that this isn't my original question,but I seriously don't know what I'm doing when it comes to balancing my sugar and my workout. I tried eating things that are high carb or sugar before hand,but that just makes me feel terrible...
  • rdmomofthree
    rdmomofthree Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try http://glucerna.com/

They have meal plans etc..that might be a good starting point
  • cwilliams080676
    cwilliams080676 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'd still to complex carbs. I would NOT go on a low carb diet. Try to follow the skinny rules. I can give you some of them if you message me or post to my wall. I was insulin resistant at one time so I know it is hard to lose. How I lose and the only way is clean eating. Nothing else works.
    Paleo might also be a good one for you. I haven't tried it because it doesn't seem sustainable.
    The blood sugar, maybe a protein bar in the work out? My hubby used to have to do that, he's type II diabetic.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It is recommended that diabetics eat an easily digestible carb before a heavy workout. Do you have a blood glucose monitor?

Also, if you SO really cares about your health, then he won't mind adjusting his diet with yours. Have a talk with him about it. Low carb, moderate fat, high protein. That is what your diet should be. Less packaged food. More fresh.

Your doctor was right when he said you don't need a diet plan. Watch your carbs.