Whey Protein to Lose Weight??

Options
sabtha89
sabtha89 Posts: 11 Member
Hey guys,

I'm a size 16 female, and been losing weight slowly. Now that exams are done I've been going to the gym everyday and now thinking of adding whey protein powder to my diet. Can anyone tell me if it's any good in terms of adding protein to help lose weight? I am not trying to put on muscles, but rather just get fit and lose weight. Any suggestions would be great!

Thank u!

Replies

• EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    It's not going to help you lose weight.

It may help you hit your protein targets in a low calorie/fat way.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I use Body by Vi. It's a whey protein powder. I have used it as a meal replacement and seen results.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It's not going to help you lose weight.

It may help you hit your protein targets in a low calorie/fat way.

It's not going to help you burn fat or anything like that, but I personally feel better (way less bloating and more energy for workouts) when I stick to a high protein and moderate carb "diet" as opposed to high carb and low/ moderate protein. My protein goal is around 120g and carbs is set to around 160. I usually supplement with some protein powder, but it isn't actually helping me lose weight by itself. Adding some to your diet if you're looking for an easy way to increase your protein is fine, but it's not going to make you magically start dropping pounds.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    whey protein isn't going to make fat fall off of your body, but it's a good way to add protein to your diet if you are not meeting your goals through food. I have a protein shake every other day to reach my goal. You could easily eat a chicken breast and get the same result.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I use Body by Vi. It's a whey protein powder. I have used it as a meal replacement and seen results.

yes i also use mine as meal replacement with milk instead of water because i always struggled with eating lunch now i take my protein shake usually mix in milk and coffee or vanilla soy milk and some fruit i feel full get a ton of protein and dont have to worry about what i eat for lunch that day
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

i use whey protein isolate. I prepare my own protein shakes and drink it 45 minutes prior to workout (whey, banana, skim milk) and another shake (whey protein with just water) after my workout.

I feel much better, with more energy and I do not feel soreness after weight lifting. Also, it helps me achieve my daily protein target.

It is not a weight loss supplement.

Good luck in your journey
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Hey There!

So I am a certified Herbalife Distributor. We are a leading a ALL NATURAL - ALL ORGANIC protein powder. Our Herbalife shakes are either made specially for someone to use as a meal replacement/weight loss system. OR we make our shakes to help feed the body during and after workouts. I use both regularly. Before I started using MFP I was doing Herbalife only for 6 months and lost 40-50 pounds.

If you are looking for a shake to replace meals I can only caution you to ensure you look at the ingredient labels and make sure you are 100% sure of what you are putting in your body. A lot of the protein shakes have man-made ingredients that are very hard on your body - especially as a meal replacement*.

*drinking protein shakes instead of eating will help you lose weight fast but not the right way - because you don't learn about healthy food options or proper nutrition.

I honestly would recommend drinking a protein shake either before or after your workout 2 times a week - this way you are supporting muscle growth - which will not make you bulky - but will help your body burn fat and make you more streamline.

Message me if you want to know anything else. I honestly could talk for hours about the pros and cons.

you can do that off any protein powder as well. please do not advertise your product on these forums
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If by aid in weight loss you mean "A nice filling drink to replace a potentially higher calorie meal' then yes.

I mix plain yogurt (100 calories) a scoop of powder (130 calories) and about 4 ounces of 2% milk (61 calories) for a nice after workout 'meal' or a late night snack and that usually gets me through for the next 3-4 hours for 291 calories (and almost half my days worth of protein.)
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose weight is through a caloric deficit......protein powder is a great if you have trouble hitting your protein macros.