Scales

Options
I am just curious as to what brand of scale you use. Also which ones you find to be most accurate. Which one would you recommend and why. Thanks for the help!!!!

Replies

• maarbo
    maarbo Posts: 22
    Options
    I bought a cheapo at CVS. Most scales are within a couple pounds of each other. Accuracy doesn't matter much if you use the same device for all your weigh-ins. The inacuracy will cancel itself out. Also, don't be fooled by price - consumer reports found a few years that some of the cheaper scales are better thane the highend pricey ones.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I am very interested to read the response to your question. My scale doesn't know it yet, but it is about to be replaced. I am getting variations that can be 1.5 pounds up or down within minutes of each other. The variation is huge between my weight on the tile floor in the bathroom and the tile floor in the kitchen. I end up using the number that repeats the most. That is a pain, when I am getting so close to a very important goal weight...the weight that my surgeon requires to put me on the list for new knees.

I sure don't want to be a pound off right now.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    A digital food scale.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I have a Weight Watchers digital scale for weighing myself. I bought it because it was pretty, lol.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I have a simple digital one from Target, and a Beurer Body Analysis Scale from Bed Bath and Beyond.

I LOVE my Beurer. It lets you set up "profiles" on the scale for up to 5 people, putting in height, age, gender, and activity level to make sense of what it reads. Why I prefer it: If I gain a little throughout the day, it shows whether it went to muscle mass, body fat, or water weight. So, when I'm heavier today than I was yesterday, seeing that my water weight percentage is up but my body fat percentage hasn't flexed or has actually dropped... well, it floats my boat.

Both scales were $30.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    For food, a Starfrit digital scale. For people, Weight Watchers digital scale ($30).
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I am very interested to read the response to your question. My scale doesn't know it yet, but it is about to be replaced. I am getting variations that can be 1.5 pounds up or down within minutes of each other. The variation is huge between my weight on the tile floor in the bathroom and the tile floor in the kitchen. I end up using the number that repeats the most. That is a pain, when I am getting so close to a very important goal weight...the weight that my surgeon requires to put me on the list for new knees.

Can you visit your doctor/clinic once a month or so for a weigh-in? It's their scale they're going to go by, so it's probably better to know if it's calibrated differently from yours sooner rather than later (plus time of day and what you're wearing makes a difference)
  • e_is_for_erin
    e_is_for_erin Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have the Eatsmart Precision Digital Bathroom scale and the Eatsmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale. Both are reasonably priced and I find very accurate.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I use a Weight Watchers scale ($30 at target and has the body fat % calculator as well but I never use that). I had a $20 Weight Watchers scale that was completely disfuctional but this new one seems to work fine. I think I had just got a lemon.
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started with a Weight Watchers Precision Electronic Doctors Scale cos it was the only one I could find that would actually weigh me when I started. The trouble with it though it that the "tap" to activate it was more of a stomp and the noise would wake the kids up in the room next door. Now I have a You Are What You Eat by Tanita scale which I have found is fantastically accurate :)
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have the Eatsmart Precision Digital Bathroom scale and the Eatsmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale. Both are reasonably priced and I find very accurate.

I have the same bathroom scale. My kitchen scale is an AWS Onyx.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options

Can you visit your doctor/clinic once a month or so for a weigh-in? It's their scale they're going to go by, so it's probably better to know if it's calibrated differently from yours sooner rather than later (plus time of day and what you're wearing makes a difference)

My surgeon is located more than an hour away. I could go into a local clinic, but I like to weigh myself every morning. Yes, I am a scale addict. :happy:

I did a recent post that show just how crazy I am, when it comes to my scale.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1005485-doing-things-backwards-yeah-i-m-a-little-crazy
  • bearsfan67
    bearsfan67 Posts: 57
    Options
    thank you everyone for your responses and it has been very helpful........
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I wonder if owning a doctors balance beam scale at home is going too far? haha. I bought one years ago because I was annoyed at the inconsistency of others. Digital scales use load cells and the quality (accuracy) of these can vary. If you are weighing on a solid surface, and your scale is not showing the same result +- 0.5lb when you check within minutes, i would question the scale. If it is changing daily, well, that is normal. I will say the Tantia scale that I got months ago is quite respectable compared to the balance beam when it comes to weights. Its not worth a darn wrt BF, but I got over that.