Adding protein powder to oatmeal - how does it taste good!?

Options
What do you guys do when you add protein powder to oatmeal? I've tried it a few times (post-cooking), but it still gets spongy, doesn't mix well and just tastes weird. I see all these recipes on tumblr where people add protein powder... but what's the secret to making it edible and taste good enough to eat??

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the protein powder. If the powder doesn't taste good on its own, it's not gonna taste good when mixed with oatmeal. I used to mix protein with my oatmeal, and it only changed the taste slightly (for the better).
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Mine was horrible. I use GNC Total lean French Vanilla and it wasn't just the taste but also the consistency. I'd rather have oatmeal or a protein shake. Not mixed together. Lesson learned for me.
  • csm2010
    csm2010 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I add it to my oatmeal every morning after I workout...plus 1 serving of almonds for a healthy fat. I'm weird because I just eat it raw. haha Stir it all together, add cold water and eat it right there in the gym locker room while I get ready for work. But maybe you just need some time to get used to it or switch protein powders. Just be careful of the sugars! I found one that had 28g of sugar vs 2g. You can also mix .5 cup oatmeal, 1 scoop protein, and 2/3 cup water and make a pancake type thing! YUMMY! Good luck.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I use myprotein's apple crumble & custard or chocolate protein powders. I blend the protein with milk/water before adding it to the oats, then I microwave it.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I add dark chocolate chips with some chocolate protein powder and then cocoa powder and some splenda (oh noes).
  • monicarcaro
    Options
    Mine was horrible. I use GNC Total lean French Vanilla and it wasn't just the taste but also the consistency. I'd rather have oatmeal or a protein shake. Not mixed together. Lesson learned for me.

that's EXACTLY what I used - glad it's not just me!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    It's nasty. Did it for a while and ate it anyway. Now I just eat oatmeal and drink a protein shake mixed with water.
  • jessicapetert23
    jessicapetert23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use the 1 minute quick oats, add 1 scoop of the Muscle Milk Light Vanilla protein powder and almonds, and it tastes delicious to me. The consistency is fine too.
  • monicarcaro
    Options
    I use myprotein's apple crumble & custard or chocolate protein powders. I blend the protein with milk/water before adding it to the oats, then I microwave it.

Nice! I'll have to check that out. It was seriously so weird each & every time I tried it...
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    zero carb isopure, unflavored.

Works in most everything.
  • rakens1
    rakens1 Posts: 10
    Options
    have you guys tried the NutriBullet? I bought one and it is awesome. It is not a blender or a juicer, it is a food extractor. I take spinach, any type of fruit, seeds (sesame, walnut, etc), water and oatmeal and put in extractor cup. Extract/blend for 30 seconds and I get a great tasting smoothee/drink. When you see this Nutribullet advertised on TV, take it from me, it really does work. You will never use another blender.:drinker:
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    When I first started doing this I used a whole scoop and it was far too much. I use The Protein Works unflavoured whey 80 and add 1/4 scoop to the milk before mixing with the oats and then I top the cooked oats with sliced banana to flavour it.

Delicious!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It tastes great!! It just depends on what kind of protein powder you use and what flavor. I use Body Fortress, and I would recommend a chocolate or peanut butter flavor or similar. Adding coconut oil will improve flavor and texture. Top with a sliced banana and you're all good :)
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    The texture was a bigger hurdle for me than the taste, but neither was good at first. Tried a few combos until I came up with the following that I do 1-3 times weekly:
    • Quaker Oats (big @$$ round)canister - 2 servings (80g?)
    • half-scoop of Body Fortress vanilla (mixed with dry oats first, THEN added to boiling water)
    • minimum heat, stir for 2-5 min
    • add to bowl that already has a serving each of Diamond sliced almonds and Ocean Spray craisins; mix well
    • add cinamon and Splenda to taste

If I have fat macro to spare, sometimes I'll sub unsalted, roasted sunflower seeds for the sliced almonds. Sometimes I'll add diced apples and/or banana, too! Great for weekend brunch!
  • monicarcaro
    Options
    The texture was a bigger hurdle for me than the taste, but neither was good at first. Tried a few combos until I came up with the following that I do 1-3 times weekly:
    • Quaker Oats (big @$$ round)canister - 2 servings (80g?)
    • half-scoop of Body Fortress vanilla (mixed with dry oats first, THEN added to boiling water)
    • minimum heat, stir for 2-5 min
    • add to bowl that already has a serving each of Diamond sliced almonds and Ocean Spray craisins; mix well
    • add cinamon and Splenda to taste

If I have fat macro to spare, sometimes I'll sub unsalted, roasted sunflower seeds for the sliced almonds. Sometimes I'll add diced apples and/or banana, too! Great for weekend brunch!

Yum! That sounds delicious :)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I also add peanut butter to my oatmeal, so that helps.

I also had taste issues when I first added protein powder, so I started adding a fair amount of Nectress sweetener, and then I've been slowly decreasing the amount of sweetener I add. As a pp said, it can take a little while to get used to.

I also don't add a lot of water to my oatmeal, so I don't get the spongy consistency.