Late night Snacking and Cravings

Options
okay so i eat healthy all through the day, then comes to night and the cravings hit. Real struggle to control these and all my healthy diet just goes out the window. Some nights i can go through whole share bags of things. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions how to tackle this?
Also cravings at party's at buffet table just cant help myself but pig out?
Thanks guys!

Replies

• tokig0313
    tokig0313 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Something that I tend to find helps is to plan ahead and if you are needing a snack in the evening, then have one. I find fruit tends to do it for me. It's often sweet enough that it helps with that craving. For a really yummy sweet treat, try freezing some grapes.

Whatever you choose for your evening snack, make sure you put it in a bowl or on a plate and put the rest of the bag away in the pantry or fridge. I tend to use small bowls if I know I can only have a bit since then it looks like there's more in the bowl vs a large bowl that's mostly empty.

As to buffets and party tables, I try and semi plan ahead and fill up a plate with a salad and healthy veggies and then try a small amount of a variety of dishes and avoid as much fried or saucy stuff as I can.
  • Harlequinndancer
    Harlequinndancer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I too have the cravings for something sweet at night and like Tokig I plan my 'dessert' and try to use fruit for that purpose. I deliberately leave a certain amount of calories to use for this purpose and/or workout the amount I know I'll be needing. Never tried frozen grapes, I'll have to try that. I usually freeze yogurt in Popsicle molds so that it's a treat but not as bad for you as an ice cream bar. I also have a small bowl that holds about a cups worth of snack item so that I don't overdo it.

Hope this helps
  • monkey9994
    monkey9994 Posts: 10
    Options
    thanks guys! helps :)
  • crissyniko
    crissyniko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    mouthwash or brush your teeth! Everything tastes bad with the minty flavor in your mouth!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    There is a "late-night snacking" group here at mfp - you can check it out!

It's aim is to be supportive of people on mfp who struggle with late-night snacking and are trying to curb it.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't keep anything to snack on in the house. The other night I had to throw out a jar of peanut butter and a tub of brown sugar because I found myself eating them.

As for parties as long as they aren't a regular thing I let myself eat whatever I like there.
  • orangelobster
    Options
    Work two of your deadly sins against each other - gluttony and laziness.

I brush my teeth after my final meal of the day. I am too lazy to go and brush my teeth again so that prevents me eating more.

Now if I could just do something about the other 5 deadly sins...
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    mouthwash or brush your teeth! Everything tastes bad with the minty flavor in your mouth!

This!!! And the fact that it is so hard for me to "unbrush" my teeth! It seems like time wasted!

But, I found that the more I stick to mfp (and by balancing my day's foods) by eating afternoon/evening snacks, the better I stay on track and the less cravings I have at night... Plus, I try fruit(like bananas or apples) on the off chance I get cravings late-night...
  • lakupsch
    lakupsch Posts: 5
    Options
    Try chewing sugar free gum. It satifies the "need" to chew something and it gives a burst of flavor. If you chew mint it has a similar effect as brushing your teeth. Most varieties are only a few calories.