Having some slight problems with running

Options
For people who don't want to read the entire post: I started running/walking a mile a day in February and saw amazing results in distance and timing for the first two months, but for the past month or so I can't lengthen my route past a mile and a half no matter how hard I try. I love running but I'm losing hope and I don't know how to push myself further without pushing too hard.

Longer version: I began running again in February after a foot injury a few years ago rendered me unable to exercise. The first month or so, I was seeing tremendous results in both distance and timing. I lost about five pounds and then everything just stopped.

I run/walk 1.5 miles about 5 times a week but I take it easy (so please don't say I'm overworking myself because I most certainly know my limits). Just a few weeks ago, I ran an entire 5k race with no problems at all.

I ran a mile about three days ago and got major stomach cramps halfway through and sprinted home. A hot shower and stretching alleviated the pain and I was fine again. I took a rest day and returned with a two mile route yesterday, and got cramps so badly I actually had to sit down and let it pass. Again, a hot shower and stretching helped.

I went on a 1.5 mile route today and found it was extremely difficult to keep running continuously and had to take many, many more breaks than I would have liked to. I haven't been able to lengthen my route in weeks and now I just feel like I'm reversing. What can I do here?

Replies

• purpadillo
    purpadillo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Do you have good shoes? Depending on how many miles you've done since February, you may be ready for a new pair. Make sure you actually go somewhere where they can assess your running style (so probably a specialty shoe store). The other thing is to make sure that you don't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%/week. That will help prevent injuries.

Reread your post: Not sure about the stomach cramps. How close to a meal are you running?
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Plenty of hydration? Have you changed your prerun routine? Pregnant?
  • greeneyedmama81
    greeneyedmama81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Invest in a good pair of running shoes. Like, go to a store that specializes in running and have them fit you for proper shoes for your gait. Prepare to invest $100-130 on said shoes. Next, go back to square one. Go with a running program that builds gradually like Couch to 5k. There are a ton of apps for it if you have a smartphone. Finally, when you are running you should be able to have a conversation with someone. Not sprinting. Also make sure you are well hydrated.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Do you have good shoes? Depending on how many miles you've done since February, you may be ready for a new pair. Make sure you actually go somewhere where they can assess your running style (so probably a specialty shoe store). The other thing is to make sure that you don't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%/week. That will help prevent injuries.

Reread your post: Not sure about the stomach cramps. How close to a meal are you running?

I'll check into the shoes! And I don't run after a meal. If I run in the morning, I'll have a granola bar before I run so I'm not queasy or on empty (I've never had problems during a morning run). If I run in the afternoon, I make sure it's been at least two hours since my last meal -- maybe more if it was a large meal!
  • kylamaries
    Options
    Plenty of hydration? Have you changed your prerun routine? Pregnant?

Hydration certainly comes to mind (I drank a ton of water before today's run and had no cramps). I still do warm-ups and then walk for about a block before I begin running; is this too little? And not pregnant, thankfully!
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are hydrated, stretch thoroughly before and after every run, and take deep slow breaths into yuor belly to prevent side cramps.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    Are you eating too close to running? I get extremely painful stomach cramps if I eat within 90 minutes of a run. Lack of proper hydration would definitely be my second guess.

Edit: Just saw your response. I would definitely focus on getting enough fluids. :)
  • kylamaries
    Options
    Invest in a good pair of running shoes. Like, go to a store that specializes in running and have them fit you for proper shoes for your gait. Prepare to invest $100-130 on said shoes. Next, go back to square one. Go with a running program that builds gradually like Couch to 5k. There are a ton of apps for it if you have a smartphone. Finally, when you are running you should be able to have a conversation with someone. Not sprinting. Also make sure you are well hydrated.

I don't know if I'll be able to afford specialized shoes at the moment, so that might have to wait a little while. But thank you for your suggestions! This was exactly the reply I was hoping! :happy:
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Try slowing down your running pace and see if that helps.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    BREATHING.

I was unable to run more than 2 miles for the longest time. Then I realized my heart rate was fricken sky high because I breathed with every step, which made my heart rate go up. To run longer distances, I had to pay attention to my breathing... breathe in on a count of four, breathe out on a count of four.

Then within like a month or two I was running 7 miles.

Check it out. Could be your problem too.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I ran a mile about three days ago and got major stomach cramps halfway through and sprinted home. A hot shower and stretching alleviated the pain and I was fine again. I took a rest day and returned with a two mile route yesterday, and got cramps so badly I actually had to sit down and let it pass. Again, a hot shower and stretching helped.

I went on a 1.5 mile route today and found it was extremely difficult to keep running continuously and had to take many, many more breaks than I would have liked to. I haven't been able to lengthen my route in weeks and now I just feel like I'm reversing. What can I do here?

Hmmm... You sound like me before I was diagnosed with Endometriosis. That would happen to me if I ran too close to my period. But now that the Doctors have changed my Birth Control Pill (to the strongest one on the market) I don't have that problem.

I say ask a doctor. No advice you get in an internet forum is going to be as accurate as letting a licensed professional "pop the hood" & see what the engine's really doing when you ask it to run....
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    It sounds as though you need to improve your cardiovascular fitness so that your body can keep up with your runs.

I found when I combined running with High Intensity Interval Training/Hard and fast cardio (in my case, Turbo Fire) it dramatically improved my cardio fitness and I was able to run for longer - it also gives you a break from running which is needed sometimes as it can be disheartening when your mind is faster than your body. Also, it makes Zumba feel like a warm up in comparison!

If it's more of a mental block, I would try changing your route, not looking at your distance or calories, but just setting a time goal to commit too. That way we don't get to *THAT* point in the run where we are like, "Right! 3 miles, that's it for me!" despite whether you could really go on for longer.

In addition - are you running too fast? Play a 'game' with yourself the next time you are running, try and run as slowly as possible (keeping your body doing 'running movements') and then slow that pace down again. There. Now commit yourself to a longer distance.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I don't know if I'll be able to afford specialized shoes at the moment, so that might have to wait a little while. But thank you for your suggestions! This was exactly the reply I was hoping! :happy:

I've gone to a running store and after I found the pair that fit/felt best I went home and bought them online for less :) Amazon.com, Zappos, etc. Good luck! I understand how frustrating that can be.
  • wjack459
    wjack459 Posts: 17
    Options
    try running them brisk walk for walk then running!!!! to me running is over to fast ( i can very brisk walk for 5mph for 75 min) but running i just for a few mile ( to each their own lol) but i love the feel that i toke the time to burn them calorie +++++ i use a app with my iphone ( allsport le) and it use a gps for your route) but am avaliabe for friends!!!!
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I bought Runners' World "Run Your Butt Off" book which is a slow beginner running program. They recommend you not run faster than your walk when you start.

I was over 300lb when I started and had to work up to walking 30 minutes non stop. They go by time, not distance. I can now run 40 min straight. :)

I can't run with food or a lot of water in my stomach. I cramp like mad. I hydrate after and during the day, I drink at least 8 oz of water before eating anything.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    Also, when was your last physical? Not to scare you, but maybe it’s a sign of something else.

Could be as simple as allergies or asthma effecting lung capacity making you poop out faster.

The oddest story I hear was someone who came from a long line of double jointed people which is a genetic difference in connective tissue. Her connective tissue was so flexible her internal organs moved too much when vigorously exercising. Caused massive pain.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I dont think shoes will help stomach cramps.

If you dont have problems in the morning then I suspect that you are running too soon after eating in the afternoon. You may need more time to digest your food. (I cant eat too close to my runs. I get sick)

Try eating a lighter lunch and waiting longer before running. Also eating a banana will often soothe the stomach so try eating one an hour before running.

Of course drink water during the day, but considering the heat and if not running longer than 45 - 60 minutes, try drinking no more than 12oz before the run. Plain water.

Run at a pace that allows you to carry a conversation using complete sentences.

Let us know what ends up working for you.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

I've gone to a running store and after I found the pair that fit/felt best I went home and bought them online for less :) Amazon.com, Zappos, etc. Good luck! I understand how frustrating that can be.

That's wrong.
  • kylamaries
    Options
    Well dang, you guys! I went on an hour-long walk and passed so many runners, I promptly returned home to get ready for a run too! I was weary it'd be a little disappointing since I'd already tuckered out, but I went anyways! :laugh:

I got out there and walked one block (instead of prolonging it like I do more times than not), reminded myself to slow down as much as possible...and then slow down more, stick to that pace, and breathe on the count of four. I quickly adjusted the count of four to the count of three and proceeded to run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes without a single stop. Sadly, my route looped around to my house so I couldn't go any further, although I felt like I easily could have.

Depending on how I feel tomorrow, I might up this to 2 miles and try the same thing. Thank you all!!