Falling off the diet wagon!!!

Options
Been following the diet really well for 5 weeks and this week has been so stressful I have fallen off my healthy eating for 2 days!! Just wanna ask has anyone else experienced this!!! And how detrimental it has been to your final goal. Has it made it harder to keep on going!!!!! X

Replies

• salydra
    salydra Posts: 29
    Options
    It entirely depends on how long it takes you to get back on. But if you aren't learning eating habits you can stick to, you are at high risk of gaining it all back when you finish dieting.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    2 days is nothing. Draw a line under it, exercise instead of eat to combat stress and before you know it you'll be back in the swing.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Don't give yourself a hard time about it. Its going to take time to habituate healthy lifestyle change and along the way there will be hiccups. If you understand this and recommit yourself when you do fall off the wagon then it'll be easier to get back on and keep going. It'll also be easier if your focus is an improvement in quality of life rather than weight loss alone. If you are not already doing it, get involved in regular exercise which will also help you with relieving stress. Don't focus on a "final result" but the "journey" itself should be enjoyable.
    Wishing you all the best,

Ben
  • Marley2310
    Marley2310 Posts: 304
    Options
    5 straight weeks without a cheat? that's intense ;)

Today i ate around 7k 's lol that blew away 3 days of hard work ..but i dont regret it or feel bad at all coz tommorow i will be better 1 or 2 days wont hinder your progress just get back to ur diet
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    It entirely depends on how long it takes you to get back on. But if you aren't learning eating habits you can stick to, you are at high risk of gaining it all back when you finish dieting.

I completely agree....it really depends on you and your eating habits....i do have a cheat day once a week to keep me focused during the week but i usually just eat maintenance calories those days and whatever i wanted/craved during the week..i cut fast food, sugar, and processed foods from my diet and i honestly dont crave them anymore....i used to drool over fast food and now i dont care for it....when i do eat something processed or bad it does not taste right to me anymore......i also get really sick....so ive pretty much reached that point where the foods i eat now i can do for the rest of my life...life style change....not just a diet...least thats how i see it...if you dont watch what you eat now and after you are more likely to gain weight back because you will be eating the same foods that made you gain in the first place...

I also agree to just keep moving forward....no one is perfect and we do slip up occasionally...but keep moving forward....youll get there!!
  • lklkl5
    lklkl5 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to everyone. The difference between those who meet their goals and those who don't is how you respond. When you dive off the deep end do you continue along that path because you've already "messed up" or do you take corrective action and move forward. I agree with the poster above. Draw a line and move on. I like to say "don't beat yourself, just better yourself"!
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    First off I want to say Hell Ya You Are Amazing for keeping it up for 5 weeks! That's incredible! I fall off the wagon once or twice a month... but the important thing is to just start over! Don't beat yourself up about it.... I know I give myself a really hard time after I fall off... but it's about accepting it and moving on. No one got fat in two days. and No one got skinny in 2 days. You are fine... This is NOT A DIET.. IT'S A LIFESTYLE CHANGE! So give yourself a break... it's Progress not Perfection :) you're doing great.
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    you have to change your frame of mind. This isn't dieting. Its a lifestyle change. Otherwise, it is very easy to fall off the wagon and it's easy to gain what you lost back. You can't expect to diet and lose weight then go back to how it was and keep it off (i'm not saying that's what you expect, I'm just putting it out there). However, if you do fall off the wagon it's better to get back on ASAP before being off of it becomes normal again. The "diet" should be your new normal with some cheat days here and there if you have to have them to keep you from binging.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I think we've all done it from time to time. The best strategy is to remove the word "diet' from your vocabulary. "Diet" implies restriction, which always makes me want to rebel. Instead make food and fitness choices that will accomplish your goals and that you can sustain for a lifetime.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think we've all done it from time to time. The best strategy is to remove the word "diet' from your vocabulary. "Diet" implies restriction, which always makes me want to rebel. Instead make food and fitness choices that will accomplish your goals and that you can sustain for a lifetime.

I agree with this. Everything in moderation. This isn't a diet it is a lifestyle change.
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    agree that you should not give yourself a hard time over this,
    you had been doing well for 5 weeks and i am sure everyone hits a hurdle or two along the way to their goals,
    overcoming the set backs is just part of the challenge,

think of how well you did over the 5 weeks, get it back on track and forget the slight stumble

good luck
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    2 days is nothing. I've been 'off the wagon' for 4 days, this is the first one I'm at 1300 kcal again. I feel like the fattest person in the world haha, my pants are even tighter. But those two days won't erase 5 weeks. Don't worry. Put a line under it and move on.
  • xdanix85
    xdanix85 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanx for all ur comments everyone!! Woke up with a fresh head and new determination!! I am determined to lose this weight!! So back to the 5 mile power walks and the healthy food which I love anyway food is not a problem!! It's the exercise!! But feeling so much better for it!! Thank for the support :) xx
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I fallin off forweeks and get back on again,you are doin great!Dont be hard on yourself,we are all human!