Did you ever have a random gain?

Hi everyone,

I know you shouldn't weigh yourself everyday but it's an addiction I'm trying to break :). This morning when I weighed myself I was up almost 1/2 pound. I had a great run and ate my TDEE -20%. I've been slowly losing but today was my first gain and needless to say it was a little disheartening. I definitely don't expect a loss everyday but having almost a half pound gain when I'm sticking to the plan really stinks. Is that normal?

Replies

• pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Very normal. Sometimes the morning after a hard workout I will gain some and it'll stay there for a few days, but then it'll drop back down (and then some).
  • sarahjay1
    sarahjay1 Posts: 175 Member
    Could be many things...water? heavier clothing? Time of the month? I seriously wouldn't worry about it...break the daily scale habit sooner rather than later and focus on NSV's
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Weight fluctuation is normal and to be expected.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I weight 125 in the morning, and 127 or 128 at night. Every single day. I wouldn't worry about it, it's probably just water.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Totally normal. I weigh every morning and sometimes jump up as much as 3-5lbs overnight. Is it fat? Impossible! Just wait a few days and it will go, eventually. Best not to weigh so often if it stresses you out.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    My weight can fluctuate 5 pounds within the same week. Don't stress it. If you're consistent, in the end, it goes down.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Weight fluctuates based on what you've eaten, dehydration levels, and if you took a big poop.

1. stop weighing every day
    2. if you can't stop, then stop fretting over the numbers
    3. if you can't stop fretting over the numbers, at least stop posting about it.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Half of all my weigh-ins were gains, the trend was always downward in the end though.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Only half a pound? Oh my. If that's going to freak you out stay away from the scale!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    It's called water...maybe a little poop or something. Weight loss is not linear and maintenance isn't static. Most people can fluctuate 2-5 Lbs easily day to day with water retention/release, food in/out, waste, etc.

If you're going to freak out about natural weight fluctuations...especially 0.5 Lbs...I'd advise you to step away from the scale and only weigh yourself every week or two.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    You get used to it, lol. I've been weighing most days and I frequently go down, then back up for a couple days (1-2 lbs), eventually it goes back down again. It doesn't even phase me anymore.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    It's very normal and also very annoying. I do official weigh ins Saturday or Sunday morning depending on how I feel but I check my weight daily just to see how my body was affected by the day befores eating.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    16 ounces of water = 1 lb.

Knowing this helps give you perspective.

Next time you pee - you'll probably be down a pound. :drinker:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    If you ate more salt than usual the day before, you could be retaining water.
    If you worked out harder than normal the day before, you could be retaining water.
    If you haven't pooped, you could be retaining, well poop.

It's totally normal.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I weighed myself this morning when I first got up, peed, and then weighed again out of curiosity, and was down 1 lb 4 oz. Yeah...I drank a lot last night.
  • I weighed myself every morning and night. Everything is not the same. I weighed 146 in the morning and 147- 148.8 at night. I eat less than 1200 calories per day.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Just last month I gained 1lb every other day for 2 weeks (7lbs in total). I hadn't changed anything. I continued not to change anything and the weight slowly went away after about a month. By the time I reached my original weight I was noticeably leaner.

In other words, don't sweat it. Weight is a terrible measure of progress and is completely unreliable.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    The really nice thing about weighing every day is that you can figure out how your body reacts to things. Like many people, I temporarily retain water when I have a higher sodium day. Digestive issues can cause the same. A more intense than normal workout can do it as well, and that weight seems to stay on the whole time I am sore (i.e. water retention, needed during the muscle repair process). With the temperatures getting higher, I am starting to see some interesting results that I suspect may be due to dehydration (unexpected low then bouncing higher)...I will watch and adjust.

When looking back at an old weight log, I must admit the simplicity of weekly weighing is very appealing with a more steady tick downward, but I'm hooked on daily weighing now and am going with the knowledge is power approach.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    For me beer = weight gain, tequila = weight loss. Drink tequila. ;^)
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    The week before my period I gain 3-5lbs but it always goes away after a few days.