Do YOU eat below, above, or at your BMR?

Options
124»

Replies

• torymichaels
    Options
    Most calculators put my BMR between 1600 (Katch-McCardle) and 1935 (Harris). I try to gross somewhere around 1830, though I keep ending up somewhere close to 2000/day, I don't worry too much. My TDEE (per Fitbit calculations, with my FB one) hovers somewhere between 3000 & 3300+. I broke through a plateau last week but naturally have run into my TOM so have only lost one pound so far this week.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    my BMR is 1900 i use to eat below this unknowingly. Since following TDEE - a deficit i now eat 2500 calories TDEE- 22% which i review after every 5lbs lost. I slowly upped it from 1850 and the weight is continually falling but more importantly inches and body fat% is going down i do about 10 hours a week work out and burn on average 1400+ calories a day but as TDEE takes this exercise into consideration i dont eat those calories back.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yes my Bmr is currently 1852-1865.

I made a bunch of mistakes.

Mistake one: Rapidly dropped cals from maintenance to huge deficit
    Mistake two: Ate at 1800 cals which is below my bmr. I've lost significant lbm and my metabolism is slow as *kitten*

Never again.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Just figured out my bmr was 1,284. I'm trying to get my maintenance weight to stabilize and right now I've got my mfp log set at 1,741 (sedentary) and then adding exercise calories on top of that, which brings me to around 2,000 a day average.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    My BMR is around 1400 I believe.

My net calorie goal is 1450 which is roughly a 15% deficit on my maintenance. I often go up to 100 calories over this and am still losing weight at a slow pace, which is cool as I am almost at my goal and so I see myself as in semi-maintenece anyway.

It's more important for me to feel that I'm not "on a diet" than to religiously lose a set amount of scale weight per week.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Below most days though on very active days above. I maintain a specific deficit rather than a specific intake. I haven't lost any LBM yet (after some time and many pounds lost), haven't plateaued (and I'm in the acceptable weight range and healthy/fit body fat range so the likelihood that that will happen with the vanity pounds is slim to none), and have yet to read one actual study or piece of scientific literature that suggests that these things would even happen.
  • shazymazy
    shazymazy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, just came across your post there and wondered if you could help me. I am so confused about this whole BMR and TDEE thing.....and the more I read the more I get confused lol.

After doing my calculations, it says my BMR is 1532cals & TDEE 1838cals. I am 162 lbs and need to lose around 31 lbs. How many calories should I be eating in order to do this, say 1-2lbs per week?

Many Thanks!
    Seonaid
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    Now? I eat right around my BMR, though I haven't always. I was notorious for living on less than 1000 calories a day and not feeling hungry for it. When I decided to be healthier, I bumped up the calories, ate healthier, and switched my beloved Diet Coke for water. And to my surprise, I've lost weight. And I'm hungry again! For the past few days, I've been eating just a little below or a little above my BMR just because I'm hungry enough to do so.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    To lose weight I ate BMR+100+all exercise calories... about 2100 calories daily on average. I now eat anywhere from 2300-3200 daily to maintain.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Hi, just came across your post there and wondered if you could help me. I am so confused about this whole BMR and TDEE thing.....and the more I read the more I get confused lol.

After doing my calculations, it says my BMR is 1532cals & TDEE 1838cals. I am 162 lbs and need to lose around 31 lbs. How many calories should I be eating in order to do this, say 1-2lbs per week?

Many Thanks!
    Seonaid

Your TDEE here is based on being sedentary. If you're sedentary you won't be able to lose 1-2 lbs/week... you could aim for 1/2 a pound weekly by eating about 1500 calories daily without adding exercise calories back.

If you exercise, you should eat more.
  • jorge_007
    jorge_007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Above. I'm suppose to eat a lot more, but I aim for 2800 kcal a day. My BMR is 1984. My TDEE is 3278. Plus an extra 500 kcal per day because I run 35 miles per week. Daily calorie requirement without weight loss: 3778 kcal per day.
    I set my calorie intake to 1840 a few weeks ago and I dropped 3 pounds in 6 days. Running every single day really lets you eat what you want without gaining weight. I've been doing this for 3 years and it makes life easier when it comes to calories.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Way above. Without worry. And losing weight.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I used to eat about 300 calories below. I lost almost 40 pound and then hit a plateau. Then got discouraged and started gaining. Now I'm eating TDEE - 28% and not adding back in my exercise calories. I took a break from the scale so I'm not sure how this is working yet but I hope when I do weigh next Monday I'll show a loss.

BMR: 1540
    TDEE - 2255
    TDEG: 1615
  • lyninit2winit
    lyninit2winit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    BMR: 1534
    TDEE - 2114
    TDEG: 1797

So I just did my net averages and I ate 1623. (OVER BMR)
    My goal was 1800 cal per day until I changed my regimne exercise less eat lessand taking a new supplement.

So my goal is 1600-1800 cal per day which I started 4/18/13.
    Now my net average is 1419 cal per day. I am never hungry hardly and have really made a big effort to increase my h2O intake.
    (WOW Now I am definitely most of the time always under. I have lost 6 lbs. since the change.
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Do YOU eat below, above, or at your BMR?

Yes, I do.
    :laugh:
  • feliciawesson
    Options
    My bmr says 1,906 and I try to do 1,200-1,500 calories a day...no more than 2,000 calories...
    I don't know if this is bad then...everyone else has a lower bmr.