Question on going over your daily fiber & protein intake

Options
Yesterday was my first day on MFP. I did fairly well but I through the course of the day I exceeded my daily protein and fiber. According to MFP I should only have 16g of Fiber daily. I always thought that some of the tricks to losing weight was to INCREASE your fiber to keep things moving and protein to make you feel fuller longer. I had a dietitian tell me to increase my protein to 25g per meal. Do you think it's detrimental to go over these two and load up on them like I did yesterday?

Thanks!!

Julie

Replies

• Rachelatbeach
    Options
    I don't think so. Having been a chub-chub all of my 66 years, and a voracious reader, I have yet to find any agreement on proportions, but most of the time higher protein and fiber are recommended. I think MFP is based on the food pyramid. Does anyone know where the proportions come from?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Not at all, MFP sets up its guidelines for % from the FDA and the protein amount they suggest is quite low especially if you do any working out. As for Fiber use the amounts in MFP as a minimum not the ideal of maximum amount.

You can go in and change your % goals and up your fiber amount by going to settings, change goals, select custom, make your changes then click save changes.
  • Julbella78
    Julbella78 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did when I started here was to change my percentages to 35/35/30. That puts my protein intake right around my body weight. I go over almost every day, which is important because I'm trying to build muscle, but even someone who isn't trying to bulk up needs sufficient protein to support an active lifestyle. Whenever you get out and move, your muscles break down. Protein is what they use to build themselves back up and get you ready to do it again tomorrow.
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    When you first sign up on MFP the percentages they have your calories set up to be is kind of weird. I believe it is only like 15 to 20 % of your diet should come from protein according to the innitial set up. You should go in and change it to something more suiting for your needs like for myself I use a 40% Protein, 30% Carb, 30% Fat split. Protein is also probably the safest macro nutrient to go over on although eating 600g of protein is probably not advisable :P.

As for fiber it can vary from person to person. Here is a calculator that you can use to help see if what MFP recommending is where you should be at or not.

http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/fiber.asp

My personal opinion is as long as you are staying regular in that department, 1-2 times a day, your fine.
  • cardiogirl
    Options
    I always figured you should up your fiber and protein while dieting so you feel full longer. Maybe that's why I'm plateauing, though.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i'm always over on protein and fiber!