opinion on wall push ups ?

Options
I know they're not the real deal, but my neck & traps are bothered by regular ones (pinched nerve in neck) , should I just keep at it, is it better than none...or am I wasting my time ? Also, should my hands be close together or shoulder width, or what ? Thanks !

Replies

• ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    You could try doing them against the counter.....as you get stronger you can go lower. If it is causing you pain then dont do them. There are other chest exercises you can do . Keep your hands spaced shoulder width or wider....if you hold them closer together you will be working more triceps than chest. ...I try to do both.
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against them. I think they are a great tool to build up to doing full push ups. I'm down to about 30/40 degrees now. No injury here, just a severe lack of upper body strength.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Great thanks, I will keep at it then. Chest & triceps both need work so I'll so both, wider & closer hand positioning.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    They look cool. Meh.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    They look cool. Meh.

:laugh:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    OP, you can also try on a staircase and go lower and lower with time.
  • Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I can't do a full push-up so I have been using the counter at home. I can't even do them on my knees because it hurts my knees so bad no matter how much cushion I use. It's my least favorite exercise but one I know I need to do.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Lay on your back on the floor and do dumbell presses. Start with light weight and work up from there. I have an injured shoulder and can't do pushups or bench press, so I am doing these to work the pecs.

Link to some info:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/chest-exercises/
  • foot56
    foot56 Posts: 44
    Options
    I know they're not the real deal, but my neck & traps are bothered by regular ones (pinched nerve in neck) , should I just keep at it, is it better than none...or am I wasting my time ? Also, should my hands be close together or shoulder width, or what ? Thanks !

You can get a desk or box and do incline push ups.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Ok this may sound dumb, but can push ups be replaced by chest presses with 15lb dumbbells ? Like pigeonhole mentioned above ?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can sub push ups with presses.

If you're doing pushups, as someone else suggested, do them against a counter or another inclined surface. Also try chair dips if you can manage them.