Want A "Coach" But NOT to sell me something...

Options
I met a really nice lady, She inspired me and was so nice to ask questions to ...she offered her assistance to hold me accountable and help me any way she could...then I found out she was a beach body coach..not being mean to those that are! She was soooooo nice but when she asked me what "program" I was doing I told her that right now I was walking and using the elliptical that we already owned because I couldn't really afford anything else. She suggested I look into the beach body products and then sent me the links to a challenge pack that cost $150.00...I can't afford that..she is really sweet and nice and I would love for her to be my "accountabilty partner/ coach" but I can't afford the products she would like me to buy....anybody wanna be accountable together...for free...with whatever program you're doing? I won't push what I am doing on you but I would likewise request the same thing...
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tianapb725
    Options
    Did you explain to her that cost was an issue at this point in your life? She may still be able to give you some good pointers. I have had a coach and she never once asked me to purchase anything and she has a supportive FB page and she mentions she sells shakeology, but she throws out challenges to people, which has me motivated again.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of friends who are coaches who are still able to motivate me even though I'm not interested in the products. I understand what you're getting at though. Feel free to shoot me a friend request if you'd like some support. No strings attached. ;)
  • maab12
    maab12 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i would love someone to partner with however I found that on this sight people was encouragement but dont want to send private messages if Youve had a bad day and just needed someone to reply and give encouragement through messages and not just on the general home page.
    feel free to add me
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Get a good legit supporting cast of friends. Search the good part of the forums and try and find some legit friends. They are all over here. And they don't have bull **** gimmicks and try to sell you their overpriced product.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    You are doing this with out programs.. then I say HELLS YEAH! That's the way to do it. Its the best way to do it, because at the end of the day .. its your choices you are looking to change. Putting someone else in charge of your choices can only be rented it can never be owned. :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of friends who are coaches who are still able to motivate me even though I'm not interested in the products. I understand what you're getting at though. Feel free to shoot me a friend request if you'd like some support. No strings attached. ;)
    This one is evul, beware.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Aww well that sucks what she did. This free MFP program is amazing and works wonders when used right (logging daily, being honest, being encouraging with each other, eating healthier, etc.) You will find great success here if you're willing to put the effort. I'm more than happy to be an encourager for you so feel free to friend me any time. My encouragements are free by the way :-)
  • Renobiker
    Renobiker Posts: 26
    Options
    I agree I get bit annoyed with those who had any success with anything want to make you pay for their help etc. If I found something that worked for I just tell I dont say , oh email me $20 and I will tell you what worked for me etc.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    People are coaches because they are trying to make money. Nothing wrong with that.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    Someone did that to me too. And when I told her I didn't want to spend the money, she didn't talk to me anymore. Honestly...my feelings were hurt. It was like she was only interested in helping me if I wanted to spend the money. :grumble:
  • makeupmuse10
    Options
    I wasn't upset with her at all!! She was so nice and I did mention that I couldn't afford product..she told me when I was ready to get committed to let her know and we would get started on a program....I thought she was talking about one of the thirty dollar dvd sets...then she sent me a link to $150.00 kit...I dont want a kit...just support..ya know...someone to ask, "did you meet your goal this week? What are you reaching for next week?" That kind of thing....she was nice but not the way I want to go
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    People are coaches because they are trying to make money. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with that. I like it when people are up front about it. Not all are, unfortunately.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I wasn't upset with her at all!! She was so nice and I did mention that I couldn't afford product..she told me when I was ready to get committed to let her know and we would get started on a program....I thought she was talking about one of the thirty dollar dvd sets...then she sent me a link to $150.00 kit...I dont want a kit...just support..ya know...someone to ask, "did you meet your goal this week? What are you reaching for next week?" That kind of thing....she was nice but not the way I want to go

Maybe it's just me, and the way I felt in my situation, but am I reading too far into it to think it was implied that you are not committed because you can't or won't buy the program?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Maybe it's just me, and the way I felt in my situation, but am I reading too far into it to think it was implied that you are not committed because you can't or won't buy the program?

I was going to post the same thing. Sounds like she was trying to make you feel like since you wouldn't blow $150 on it, you aren't really "committed" to being fit and losing weight. Lame.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Someone did that to me too. And when I told her I didn't want to spend the money, she didn't talk to me anymore. Honestly...my feelings were hurt. It was like she was only interested in helping me if I wanted to spend the money. :grumble:

This just sounds like a misunderstanding. She thought she was talking to a customer and you thought you were talking to a friend. When you indicated that you were not a customer, it isn't surprising that she stopped talking to you.

A customer who doesn't spend any money isn't a customer, and therefore a waste of a time for a salesperson. In businesses that have a strong social connection such as coaches, stylists, therapists etc, sometimes novice customers don't understand the difference between the relationships.

Don't take it personally. If you want to be her friend, do something friend-like. Invite her to coffee or a movie because you like her, and then you can build a friendship.
  • Renobiker
    Renobiker Posts: 26
    Options
    I also hate the force feed from gyms when you join that you must have a "free" training session which is a pure sales pitch but when you tell them um not going to by personal training sessions etc, they say its mandatory you have to do it, so they work you up and down etc make you think you can do it, then slap you in the face saying you will fail without me the trainer etc. I often want to tell that PT sales guy to F-Off!
  • KristysLosing
    Options

This just sounds like a misunderstanding. She thought she was talking to a customer and you thought you were talking to a friend. When you indicated that you were not a customer, it isn't surprising that she stopped talking to you.

A customer who doesn't spend any money isn't a customer, and therefore a waste of a time for a salesperson. In businesses that have a strong social connection such as coaches, stylists, therapists etc, sometimes novice customers don't understand the difference between the relationships.

Don't take it personally. If you want to be her friend, do something friend-like. Invite her to coffee or a movie because you like her, and then you can build a friendship.

She was an MFP friend. She put up a posting of her progress, I told her she did a great job, and she friended me. We started talking and, yes, I thought I had a new MFP friend. I took it personally because of the way she did it. Made me think she was looking to be friends, and when I wouldn't buy, she dumped me. She may have been looking for customers, but she started by treating me as a friend, she was willing to help and give tips. It wasn't until I said yes, I'd love the help, that she gave me the link for the product she was selling. It was her sales pitch. I can't help but take it personally...I was never looking for anything. She made the move. (lol - now it sounds like we were dating...)
  • makeupmuse10
    Options
    Its okay I dont have any hard feelings...I understand a sales pitch..ive worked in retail before...she just seemed willing to help me and when I said id love help she asked me to buy her product first
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I don't sell anything. Just trying to make changes in my life and make them last :) Been 8 months so far! Sending you a friend request :)
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

I agree that there is nothing wrong with that. I like it when people are up front about it. Not all are, unfortunately.
    But really, this is a free site. If they are trying to sell their product it should not be on here.