Some help support and advise needed!

Options
I've only been dieting for 3 weeks now. In the first week I managed to lose a staggering 11 pounds but last week and this week I've not lost any weight and have still managed to lose 1inch around my hips and waist.

Standing on the scales this morning had really demotivated me even though the inches are still going.

My calorie goal is 1200 and ive been keeping under this by at least 100 calories along with some daily skipping which allows me to have 311 calories remaining.

PLEASE CAN PEOPLE GIVE ME SOME ADVISE ON WHY IM FAILING SO BADLY SO SOON!

thanks x

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a minimum of 1200 calories not a maximum. And you are supposed to eat your exercise calories or at least most of them. MFP sets you up with a caloric deficit when setting your intake at 1200, if you eat less than this it is possible to slow your metabolism down making it harder to lose weight. Try eating your 1200 calories/day plus at least half of the calories you burn through exercise and you should loose weight, and you have to give it time 11 pounds in 3 weeks is still more than the maximum of 2/week that MFP suggests (you lost an average of 3.7/week).
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    Sounds like you are not eating enough. (1) You never want to go below 1200... starvation mode is real, not just something people say... your body will hold onto whatever it can if you are not giving it enough nutrition to function properly. (2) By skipping, do you mean meals? Try not to do that, either... this will mess with your blood sugar and might cause you to binge later on in the day... keep you HEALTHY caloric intake steady... try not to go much below 1200 calories...
    Keep up the good work - do not be discouraged by small or no weight loss adter dropping 11 lbs!! That was a great jump start to reaching your goal... Don't blow it by starving yourself! Slow and steady weight loss (as much as we hate it) is the way to go for a lasting weight loss.
    Good luck to you and don't throw in the towel just yet!
    :happy:
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    Listen to what the others just told you. If you look at other posts you can find at least a hundred more that say the same thing.
    You can do it!
  • gemma_f
    gemma_f Posts: 4
    Options
    This is the exact advise that i needed, thanks to all of you
    Oh and Kelly, skipping as in the exercise (rope jumping), I do it regularly to keep fit (i did do alot of wrestling along side therefore i have quiet alot of muscle anyway)
    x
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    This is the exact advise that i needed, thanks to all of you
    Oh and Kelly, skipping as in the exercise (rope jumping), I do it regularly to keep fit (i did do alot of wrestling along side therefore i have quiet alot of muscle anyway)
    x

gotcha!
    Jumping rope is one thing i can actually get my kids to do with me! We laugh a lot when we do that together! I think I have the most uncoordinated 8 yr old girl on the planet! haha! But at least we have fun!!
  • gemma_f
    Options
    My daily calorie deficit is apparently 850 calories.
    I dont actually understand what this is, seems you've mentioned it, would you be able to explain to me what it means Eric?
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Gemma_f, I am in the same boat. I was losing then stopped; however, I am losing inches and see a difference and that's what matters to me. I want to look good and it doesn't matter how much I weigh.

As for your calories, you received 1200 calories a day by MFP to consume. You then receive exercise calories on top of that. You will want to consume at least your 1200 calories plus some, if not all, of your workout calories (I usually eat about 1/2).

Example: You start out with 1200 calories, you exercise and earn 500 calories, totalling 1700 calories. You need to eat at least your 1200 + about 250 of your exercise calories which totals 1450 that you would need to consume. I hope I did this right, that's how I do it anyway.
  • amanda30ronan
    Options
    but what if we are exercising to lose weight ?? then we shouldnt consume them ? .
  • erickirb
    Options
    My daily calorie deficit is apparently 850 calories.
    I dont actually understand what this is, seems you've mentioned it, would you be able to explain to me what it means Eric?
    When you signed up for MFP you choose to lose a goal amount per week, as an example lets say you chose 1 pounds per week. MFP will give you a deficit of 500 calories per day to meet that goal, in your case 1200 calories, if you chose to maintain your weight you would have been given 1700 calories, according to this example.

So to meet your goal of 1 pound per week you must eat all 1200 calories, and if you exercise you should eat those or your deficit will grow larger than 500. If MFP gives you 1200 to be in a 500 deficit and you burn 300 calories you are now at an 800 calorie deficit, to stick to your goal of 1 pound per week MFP suggests you eat that 300 calories to keep your deficit at 500. Hope this helps.
  • erickirb
    Options
    but what if we are exercising to lose weight ?? then we shouldnt consume them ? .

This is not the right way to look at it. If you wanted to use the exercise calories burned to loose weight that you should have your self set at maintenance calories and not eat back your exercise calories. But since most people have lowered their caloric intake due to a goal that does not require exercise it is important to eat most of the exercise calories back to keep your energy levels up, and your metabolism from slowing down. If your caloric deficit is too large over a period of time your metabolism will actually slow down. MFP suggests the minimum amount to eat is 1200 calories net. so 1200 calories plus any calories burned through exercise would net 1200.
  • gemma_f
    Options
    At last i understand now eric :), thanks a lot, you've been a great help