Alternative to Pasta

Options
2»

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Does it matter what type of squash you use?

It has to be a spaghetti squash if you're looking for the noodley appearance. They're roughly peanut shaped, a pale beigey-orange (or yellow, depending).

However, slicing other squash (crookneck, zucchini), lightly steaming them and dousing them in a veggie-filled marinara is also pretty darned good!

Here's an image & recipe link: http://catherinewalkerhart.blogspot.com/2010/02/yummy-spaghetti-squash.html
  • bbeland01
    Options
    I was going to suggest spaghetti squash too. It is awesome as pasta. Or sprinkle it with salt and pepper and parm cheese. Yum!!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Does it matter what type of squash you use?

It has to be a spaghetti squash if you're looking for the noodley appearance. They're roughly peanut shaped, a pale beigey-orange (or yellow, depending).

However, slicing other squash (crookneck, zucchini), lightly steaming them and dousing them in a veggie-filled marinara is also pretty darned good!

You just reminded me!

Eggplant! you can use that as pseudo noodles too
  • peanut1967
    peanut1967 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Take less pasta. Just eat a salad as first dish before the pasta, this way you won't eat so much pasta afterwards, and/or do like hey do in Italy, where they eat pasta as one dish before the main coarse. Add a slim sauce with lots of vegetables, then it's okay I think. Try whole grain pasta (I don't like it that much, but they say you get used to it and like it even better after a while) you probably will be satisfied with a smaller amount of this.

I just can't avoid pasta all the time (I have kids) so I have to find a way to make it a weightloss-friendly meal if I don't want to cook double meals...
  • LHuffman24
    LHuffman24 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I cooked a spaghetti squash the other night and have tons of leftovers. I'm thinking of making a stir fry with that instead of rice for dinner tonight.

Anybody else have any ideas besides pasta sauce for the rest of the leftovers?
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I cooked a spaghetti squash the other night and have tons of leftovers. I'm thinking of making a stir fry with that instead of rice for dinner tonight.

I've sauteed it in olive/canola oil with a ton of garlic, onion, pepper. Nice n stinky. Then toss with parm, if you like parm.
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    Dreamfields is great. Very low carbs, but comparable in calories to regular pasta. I can't get past the texture of many whole-grain pastas. When I want pasta, I want the real thing. Dreamfields is the closest I've found.
    Miracle noodles Shirataki are okay in soups, but nothing like pasta. They are very rubbery. If you have to chew them, don't eat them. But they are great in broth.
  • Alycyn1980
    Alycyn1980 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Well thanks to everyone for their suggestions - I will definately need to look into the squash, not sure how available they are in the supermarkets here but will have a nosey :wink:
  • LHuffman24
    LHuffman24 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I've sauteed it in olive/canola oil with a ton of garlic, onion, pepper. Nice n stinky. Then toss with parm, if you like parm.

That does sound stinky, but delicious! Maybe I'll do that tonight instead. Thanks for the idea.
    Well thanks to everyone for their suggestions - I will definately need to look into the squash, not sure how available they are in the supermarkets here but will have a nosey

I haven't been having any trouble finding them at Wal-Mart of all places.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said to switch to whole grain pasta. If you go by the portion size on the box, most pastas are about 200 calories per 3/4 cup serving. I don't think that's too bad. At least it's "do-able" at least once a week. :drinker: