What Supplements, Vitamins, Foods, or Spices are you using?

Options
Hi, Today is the offical first day of my weight loss.... I just went grocery shopping and everything lol..

Anyhow I was wondering what supplements, vitamins, foods or spices anyone is using, if any...

I'm not going to go out and buy any, Im going to use what i have around the house. I figured it cant hurt and if it helps kudos for me lol..

I have lots of slim fast, lots of protein powder, several kinds of centrum vitamins, aloe vera gel, apple cider vineger, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes... etc...

I'll probably partake in the vitamins and an occasional slim fast or protein shake as a before breakfast/breakfast snack.. and i'll probably add pepper flakes to some of my food...

So is anyone using apple cider vineger, safflower oil, aloe juice, etc.. what are your results?...

Replies

• DoingThiisForMe
    Options
    No one??.. dont be scared no matter how strange or weird lol
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    supplements will not show a difference and you are not going to be able to see results(atleast for weight loss)
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    B vitamins have helped me with my energy levels. And I just started taking a magnesium supplement because my feet have been cramping up and I suspect a deficiency might be the problem.

I'd say don't take a bunch of stuff just for the sake of taking a bunch of stuff. Your body absorbs nutrients better through food than it does through pills, anyway. I think a good daily multi should be enough for most people. Make sure you are sticking to healthy whole foods and you should be fine.
  • LoriCARoberts
    LoriCARoberts Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have Body by Vi, another chocolate protein mix called Pride Respect, ProGrade VGF25+ multi for women, krill oil, probiotics, some supplements from Complete Nutrition called Reveal that I won't buy again but I'm trying to use up, apple cider vinegar that I can't stomach any way shape or form. I think that might be it. :)
  • singolia
    singolia Posts: 1
    Options
    I would recommend a good over the counter multi vitamin along with vitamin d for your heart, vitamin b-12 and omega 3 fish oil.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    agree with the poster who takes b.vitamins.for energy. my body.doesnt absorb.b12 so.i habe three monthly injections and the diffetence from before i had them is incredible. literally a world of difference. i also.take.milk.thistle for my liver... mostly.bevaise it reduces hangovers imo. apart from that just a multivitamin and.minerals to top up anything i missed in my diet.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    agree with the poster who takes b.vitamins.for energy. my body.doesnt absorb.b12 so.i habe three monthly injections and the diffetence from before i had them is incredible. literally a world of difference. i also.take.milk.thistle for my liver... mostly.bevaise it reduces hangovers imo. apart from that just a multivitamin and.minerals to top up anything i missed in my diet.
    err?

were you ever vegan or had a gastric bypass?
  • bdoug1234
    bdoug1234 Posts: 28
    Options
    Franks Hot Sauce .. I put that _____ on everything...lol

BCAA (Branch chain amino acids) since i lift kind of heavy at a cal deficit and don't want to give up muscle... there is no guarantee
    on the bottle btw :)
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Franks Hot Sauce .. I put that _____ on everything...lol

heehee
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you don't get 1,200 mg of calcium in your diet I would take a Caltrate-D. If you stick to the MFP plan you will lose weight and should get all the nutrition that you need.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I take no supplements or vitamins.

I try to eat healthy and get everything I need from the actual food I eat.

It hasn't affected my health in the least, my blood panel shows everything is fine, I was able to lose the weight I needed to, and I don't waste money on vitamins or supplements.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    i'm taking prenatal vitamins (no, i'm not pregnant).
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    While it is always better to get your vitamins in the natural complex of whole foods, I do take a good multi-vitamin/mineral product and extra vitamin D and C every day. It is impossible to get enough vitamin D on a year-round basis in the north. I do step it back in the spring and increase it again in the fall. Because I don't eat a whole lot of fruit, I also think I need a vitamin C supplement. Other than that, I take specific nutrients for my arthritis and an essential fatty acid supplement and fish oil for general health. I do not eat junk food (can't afford the empty calories on a 1,360 calorie base) so my diet is excellent and I intend to keep it that way for the rest of my life. When my body fat declines to a level where I want to be (under 25%) then I will just increase my "good" carbs from 70-100 grams per day up to 120 to 150 grams per day (depending on exercise). I find whey protein to be especially helpful in getting adequate protein. I use a product called Progressive. It is New Zealand whey (no antibiotics or hormones are given to their cows and they are grass-fed).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    While it is always better to get your vitamins in the natural complex of whole foods, I do take a good multi-vitamin/mineral product and extra vitamin D and C every day. It is impossible to get enough vitamin D on a year-round basis in the north. I do step it back in the spring and increase it again in the fall. Because I don't eat a whole lot of fruit, I also think I need a vitamin C supplement. Other than that, I take specific nutrients for my arthritis and an essential fatty acid supplement and fish oil for general health. I do not eat junk food (can't afford the empty calories on a 1,360 calorie base) so my diet is excellent and I intend to keep it that way for the rest of my life. When my body fat declines to a level where I want to be (under 25%) then I will just increase my "good" carbs from 70-100 grams per day up to 120 to 150 grams per day (depending on exercise). I find whey protein to be especially helpful in getting adequate protein. I use a product called Progressive. It is New Zealand whey (no antibiotics or hormones are given to their cows and they are grass-fed).

where are the evil carbs, Iran, Syria perhaps?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Not that I believe they're relevant to weight loss, but for supplements/vitamins I take glucosamine chondroiton, fish oil, trace minerals, creatine mono, vitamin D, a digestive enzyme, and a multi. For food...uh...I just eat food. To lose weight, I eat less food...and to gain weight, I eat more food.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    To lose weight, I eat less food...and to gain weight, I eat more food.

yup.
  • sash3619
    sash3619 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I take glucosamine HCI+D3 (for joints), fish oil, multivitamin and flax seeds. Oh.. and whey protein for shakes.
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Splenda
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    Good multi vitamin
    Fish oil
    vitamin C
    Glutamine
    L-carnitine
    creatine
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't help, but my diet is based on food. Meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy, whole grain bread and cereal, a variety of fresh fruits and veggies. Very little processed stuff. Food protein, not powdered protein, meals rather than meal replacements. You get the drift. Oh, and spices? Whatever makes the preceeding stuff taste even nicer.,