2600 calorie diet???

Options
2»

Replies

• hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs have lots of cholesterol and fat... some say they are good for you some say it is bad... but everyone agrees that egg protein is the best... It is used as the measure for all other protiens.

Cholesterol in eggs isn't a big deal unless you are battling high cholesterol right now. Don't fear the fat, either. Some people will do 1 whole egg and supplement with Egg Beaters as a compromise, though.
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what my cholesterol is... but I am trying to eat as healthy as I can. however I am pretty sure that I have high blood pressure.. just cant go to the doctor cause of no health insurance(cant afford it right now)... so I am trying to fix it through diet and exercise... I have been getting better readings since I started this a week ago...
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    On days that I run, I get up over 3000.

You can look at my diary too. My food diary isn't perfect, but I try to stay away from refined sugars, and get my sugar exclusivly from fruit.

I eat a lot of pork, fish, in addition to chicken.

Also check out Green Giant Steamables in the frozen food section. Less sodioum, good veggies.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hey if you are wondering about your cholesterol levels and other related things, I have an idea. Where I used to live, the people who conducted blood-drives would run a few tests on the donated blood for you free of charge, which you could view online. One of them was cholesterol, and there were a few others as well. If you can find time to give blood once in a while, and this service is offered, you could think about doing it. I mean, it is definitely good for your body to donate blood occasionally, and you might be able to monitor those things you want to.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is completely empty calories . . .just sayin . . .
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs have lots of cholesterol and fat... some say they are good for you some say it is bad... but everyone agrees that egg protein is the best... It is used as the measure for all other protiens.

Cholesterol in eggs isn't a big deal unless you are battling high cholesterol right now. Don't fear the fat, either. Some people will do 1 whole egg and supplement with Egg Beaters as a compromise, though.

I do one whole egg plus one or two whites. I can't stomach liquid eggs in a carton, they gross me out for some reason.
  • Izzybackyet
    Options
    Surely leafy green veg can be eaten in enormous quantities or have I been reading the wrong books? As for too much fiber I'm not sure that's really a problem as it simply passes through your system.? 2600 sounds a lot but i've noticed the calorie values of foods in the food logs tend to be on the high side....85 cals for a medium orange, it's normally listed as 40-50 in calorie books.So I doubt you will be overeating by sticking to the 2600 total
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to get a crock pot. I have been eating celery with PB and carrots too. I forgot to add that in. I still cant see getting the 2600 calories in unless i double the meats and add in nuts, but then the fats will go up also which I have been good on so far. I think that my calories will stay about the same when I do get down to my goal weight cause the exercise will go up and I plan on going back into the army when I lose enough weight .Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Fat and protein are going to keep you satisfied and full. Fats are not bad for you and should be at least 30% of your daily calories. Par the fat and protein with veggies and a bit of fruit and you will lose fat effortlessly...............

if your trying to lose fat, well it takes fat to burn fat. Sugar (yes, even natural sugar) will be more of your enemy than the fat intake.

Cut some of the grains and fruit and add in a bit more protein and fats along with lots and lots of veggies............you will see the scale drop like you never have and the energy will sky rocket through the roof.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to get a crock pot. I have been eating celery with PB and carrots too. I forgot to add that in. I still cant see getting the 2600 calories in unless i double the meats and add in nuts, but then the fats will go up also which I have been good on so far. I think that my calories will stay about the same when I do get down to my goal weight cause the exercise will go up and I plan on going back into the army when I lose enough weight .Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Fat and protein are going to keep you satisfied and full. Fats are not bad for you and should be at least 30% of your daily calories. Par the fat and protein with veggies and a bit of fruit and you will lose fat effortlessly...............

if your trying to lose fat, well it takes fat to burn fat. Sugar (yes, even natural sugar) will be more of your enemy than the fat intake.

Cut some of the grains and fruit and add in a bit more protein and fats along with lots and lots of veggies............you will see the scale drop like you never have and the energy will sky rocket through the roof.

I cannot figure out how we have made fat the enemy over sugar. If anyone should have a nutrition phobia is should be sugar.
  • mayclai
    mayclai Posts: 12
    Options
    I have been eating chicken breast, brown rice,asparagus, peas, green beans, corn. barilla mutligrain pasta, apples. cherries, bananas, egg beaters, wheat toast, lowest sodium soup I can find. I am always going over on the sodium cause of the canned veggies. I guess i need to but fresh vegables intead of canned, but I dont really have time to prepare them I am already only getting 6 hours of sleep cause I have to wake up early to cook and go to the gym. I work 12 hour shifts over night with an hour drive each way so my days are a full 18 hours if not more. Are there any low sodium alternatives? My sugars are always over to but it is usually from fruit.

thanks
    Instead of fresh, often frozen are even better, they are frozen fresh, where as fresh are sometimes picked and flown or driven long distances so by the time you get them,......they aren't fresh anymore. lol Frozen veggies in the microwave taken only a few minutes, so while you're fixing the plate of chicken and rice you can be warming up your veggies in the microwave. Better yet, or maybe you already do this? Cook up all your chicken and rice and veggies for the week and put them in the fridge and just pull them out for each meal. Makes lunches so much easier and meals on the go. I store my brown rice in a Gallon size Ziploc Bag and same with my Chicken breasts. The veggies I store in a 2 quart container I cook them in the microwave in and then just put the lid on them.

Simple is good, quick is good, healthy, simple, quick = sticking to healthy eating :)

Not eating canned veggies will REALLY make a huge dent in your sodium content in your diary, you'll be amazed! As quick as it is to heat a can you can nuke some frozen ones.

Take care and the best to you:drinker:

Edit: Legumes are a great protein source and are also considered a carb, but a very slow acting one so a very healthy one. I buy black beans in bulk, rinse and pick thru them then put them in a pot, stick the pot in the fridge, rinse and repeat several times and then cook them up, takes about 45 minutes. They are great with a bit of Salsa (which you can make or buy with no salt), and eat them that way. Or I often use a 1/2 pita pocket or a tortilla, sprinkle a bit of cheese on that and poof, another meal. If you need more protein then simple eat more beans with that meal.

You can use the beans all week as well, toss in your salads for protein, toss them in your soups, the sky is the limit with turtle beans:love: !

It's a little time consuming to do the dry beans thing all of the time. But, when you do them, just make extra and you can store them in the freezer. Pull them out when you need them.
  • laura11248
    laura11248 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey There...
    I notice that you are including your fitness calories. I know that this is a controversial issue on MFP...one I certainly struggled with! I had a BIG eye opener this week. I have started working with a weight and wellness dr. After my weightloss stalled for 3 months...I was really frustrated. He said that first of all the numbers you get from the machines are mostly inaccurate because they are not tailored to your body composition. If you have more muscle mass then you will burn more calories than stated. If you have less muscle mass (me) you burn MUCH less. He has recommended for me to NOT eat my fitness calories. He also increased my protein intake by double what MFP suggests. This has been fun trying to find ways to add that into my diet. I eat chicken, eggs, egg whites, yogurt, protein bars, protein shakes...etc. I still do eat carbs but make sure they are healthy ones...ezekiel bread, fiber one cereal...etc!

Good Luck!