Mirror issues

Options
I have lost 12 lbs since January and dropped 3 sizes. I was overweight but not really huge.
I was mostly ok with myself.
until I gained a lot of weight since moving to the Usa and that was when i decided to lose it again and even more to finally achieve my goal weight of 130.
I started at 163, and i am stalling at 150-153 now. Although weight wasnt moving i dropped sizes. But my weight hasnt changed in 2 months, and this is frustrating me.

One of my problems is that although I know i lost inches, (my clothes tell me that), when i look at the mirror i see a fat girl. Even worse than when i started. I do not like what i see. Then i look at my before and after pics and feel reassured. But why cant i see it in the mirror?
Anyone has those same issues? How do you overcome that?
I am really so motivated to keep losing weight,... Or at least fat since my scale is stuck at the same numbers. But my reflection sort of depresses me and no matter how long i stare, i just dont see the weight loss!

Replies

• bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You're your own worst critic. Before, u werent trying to lose weight so as long as your body looked OK u were fine. Now, with the effort u put in and the results not being as fast u are overly criticaal of your body. But dont worry everyone else can see the difference
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I am the same way and even though I know I've made progress in a good amount of time I start getting frustrated and impatient myself. I feel just as "big" as when I started. I have my good days when I'm hairy, but since I'm not yet where I want to be when I look in the mirror I get more disgusted than when I was doing nothing. Body issues suck. I'm still trying to figure it all out! I guess we have to not over think it and concentrate on all we have accomplished.
  • lisa483
    lisa483 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Your brain takes a while to catch up. I still struggle now and Im over 60lbs gone. And as the other person posted its right you are your own worst critic.

Don't be so hard on yourself, be proud of what you are achieving :0)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I hate my mirror. Looking in it, I honestly can't see any changes in my body from my starting point. I can see huge changes in pictures though, so I take a lot of pictures. I know one day my brain will catch up to reality, but until then, I accept the fact that my mirror lies to me on a daily basis.
  • chelctate
    chelctate Posts: 9
    Options
    Your brain plays tricks on you. I personally don't weigh myself - which is why I'm showing 0lbs lost on MFP. I'd rather SEE the results in the mirror or by my clothes fitting a bit looser. I've found that I compare what I see in the mirror to the number on the scale far too much and it causes me to rethink a lot of things. It's definitely discouraging. I haven't truly weighed myself in 2 years, and now by starting this app I almost feel obligated just to see the number drop so I know I'm not counting calories for nothing.
  • rondacarmer
    Options
    I had the opposite problem. I gained 40 lbs and still saw a skinny girl in the mirror. Where did all this weight come from? :wink:
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem. I gained 40 lbs and still saw a skinny girl in the mirror. Where did all this weight come from? :wink:

Hahaha... Yeah i gained 20 lbs in less than a year and hadnt notice... Until i tried on a dress from the previous year :tongue:
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! It helps knowing i am not the only one with that issue