We're going camping this weekend

Options
Hi I'm looking for assistance in ideas/recipes to bring along/make for our outdoor camping trip... Annnnddddd GO.....

Replies

• JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Usually our first night car camping, we have steak (frozen then thawed while we drive to the park) and corn on the cob. For our last trip, I found the Back Country Kitchen by Teresa Marrone a good place to look for recipe ideas. A lot of camp cookbooks seem to assume you travel with a fridge and an RV filled with your entire kitchen, but her book is good with simple ideas with limited refrigerated foods and space-taking supplies.
  • MaryKatU
    MaryKatU Posts: 146
    Options
    If you are grilling then chicken and vegetables are healthy options. Bring a big bowl of salad if you can keep it cool. Chicken off the grill is awesome on a salad.
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Big bowl of pasta salad stays fresh and tasty for days.

Whole wheat penne
    Pepperoni slices
    Cubed mozzarella
    Whole or sliced olives
    Banana Peppers
    Minced garlic
    Little bit of chopped onion
    Enough italian dressing to lightly coat it
    Top with parmesan

You can subtract or add what you like. I found that the top ingredients offered a pretty decent sized helping for 300 calories.
  • victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We are going camping this weekend too and I was thinking of the same ? I am thinking turkey hotdogs and chicken breasts with a lot of cut up veges and some fruit that isn't any work at all. I will need one smore! I have also started drinking unsweetened tea with honey and lemon to give me a little break from water. Hope this helps and have fun.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    We make breakfast burritoe's ahead of time scrammbled eggs, sauasage, cheese and onion and freeze them indiviually in foil and then warm them up over coals in the morning. Lunches are sandwhiches and chips or fruit/veggies

We also do foil packets with a sliced up potatoe, some carrots, meat and garlic onion and butter then toss the packets over the coals to heat up :)

Then of course hot dogs on a stick

You can make pancake batter ahead of time and fill up pastry bags and seal them and freeze. Then use them as they thaw by cutting the tips off the bags and making pancakes :)

Grilled corn on the cob

sloppy joes are easy enough to make ahead of time or make on site either way.

I like to make as much as I can at home so I can bring less stuff in the cooler. If you have a food saver you can put eggs, meat cheese in a food sealer bag and boil them at the camp site for less mess omlets.

Kabobs are fun for camping as well

salad
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    We make breakfast burritoe's ahead of time scrammbled eggs, sauasage, cheese and onion and freeze them indiviually in foil and then warm them up over coals in the morning. Lunches are sandwhiches and chips or fruit/veggies

We also do foil packets with a sliced up potatoe, some carrots, meat and garlic onion and butter then toss the packets over the coals to heat up :)

Then of course hot dogs on a stick

You can make pancake batter ahead of time and fill up pastry bags and seal them and freeze. Then use them as they thaw by cutting the tips off the bags and making pancakes :)

Grilled corn on the cob

sloppy joes are easy enough to make ahead of time or make on site either way.

I like to make as much as I can at home so I can bring less stuff in the cooler. If you have a food saver you can put eggs, meat cheese in a food sealer bag and boil them at the camp site for less mess omlets.

Kabobs are fun for camping as well

salad

Now I'm hungry.
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Frozen casseroles, kept in an ice chest, will stay frozen for 2-3 days, depending on how big they are. If you're only going for the weekend, you shouldn't have any trouble with frozen foods. I also like to roast hotdogs or cheddarwurst on a stick over the fire. Prepared pasta/macaroni salads and potato salads are nice also. Take cut-up veggies and some chicken breast and saute, add a few spices, delicious. You can add some precooked pasta or rice to your saute if you like. Tacos/burritos are easy.

You can fix almost anything you like. Think ahead and prep as much as you can at home. Keep it simple if you don't like fussing around cooking while you're gone. You could even have sandwiches for lunch and dinner.

Have fun. i wish I could go with you, I love to camp and the food always tastes so good no matter what it is.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti is easy. Prepare the sauce at home and just heat. A chef I know cooks noodles ahead of time, places in ziplock or vacuum bags and throws in boiling water (kind of like a stouffer) and it's done.
    I do love breakfast burritos.
    Fresh fish on the grill is good.
    Desserts in dutch ovens cooked with charcoal.
  • jennmoral23
    Options
    take a fishing pole and eat the fish you catch lol well that's what we do sometimes but I usually take some veggies that I like to eat raw and I like eating what we catch but it does not always work that way so we take some beef jerky and maybe ground beef and we do camp fire bread use 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup water some garlic and yeast mix together the water and yeast and let set for like 5 min then mix up with the garlic and flour get hand fulls and place on your griddle (don't forget something to cook on lol) it comes out really tasty and you don't have to add the garlic that is optional I just like garlic the bread will be done in like 10 to 15 min as the bread cooks on one side I place it on the other side so that it cooks evenly. and instead of putting garlic in the bread try putting in fruit that's good too
  • rachelmogel311
    Options
    Thank you ALL! I'm so excited to start the prep with all of your ideas! and yes we are bringing fishing poles. crossing our fingers. we have a group of 20 going for my friend's birthday and I've never been camping before so it's all so new to me! I'm super excited though and yes! I wish I could bring all of you camping pros with me! hoping my girls 5 and 7 fair okay in the outdoors, they're little princess' :)