Carb addict :(

Options
hmg90
hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
I am pretty much a carb-addict, and it is painful for me to cut it out. Sugar was hard at first, but I did it, and lost the craving. But there is no losing craving for carbs.

I was very dedicated and lost 7 lbs the first two weeks of fitnesspal. The next week was neutral, and the last 4 days I was off the wagon, which means I have to get serious now - it's June after all! :(
I eat a lot of protein and usually go over my protein limits. My typical breakfast will be egg scramble (1 whole egg, 2 egg whites) with low fat cottage cheese and a small salad and I'll have chicken breast or salmon/king prawns/other seafood with vegetables for dinner (with some wine, which I make room for).

I crave carbs though. There is nothing I love more than pasta with buckets of parmesan. Second is pizza, warm ciabatta or focaccia with butter, baguette, cheese sandwiches - whatever. Whenever I have some smoked salmon with light Philadelphia, all I want is to put it on a bagel.
I have sometimes allowed myself some carbs, but it takes up so much space. A slice a bread is many calories compared to a Finn Crisp, and it doesn't make me full.

How do you manage your carb cravings? What are the low-calorie carb options to go to? And what is the 'skinniest' bread?

Replies

• dgoradia
    dgoradia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I manage the carb craving by eating carbs.

Going over protein is not a bad thing, it could be a good thing.

Once you know your estimated TDEE and you're getting your protein/fat requirements, fill up the rest of your kcals with carbs.
    Pizza is my favorite and I eat it almost every week. I mean a whole 18" pie in about 20 mins.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the "evil" macro the diet industry makes them out to be - in fact, they are an important macronutrient. If you want to get the most nutritional bang for your caloric buck, go for the "real" foods - fruits, whole grains, things like that; however, I am proof that you can also indulge an occasional sweet tooth or junk food craving and still get fit and healthy.

Many people who go on diets think that means cutting out carbs and going to low fat versions of things - in fact, a well-balanced diet (as in a way of life, not a temporary way of eating) includes a healthy ratio of all three macros - protein, carbs, and fat.

That being said, the macronutrient goals MFP defaults to are 55% carbs, 20% protein, 25% fat. Playing with those to raise the protein and reduce the carbs just a bit is not a bad idea (although I lost most of my weight eating pretty close to that, I improved my BF% the most by increasing my protein and fat a bit, which resulted in my carbs going down a bit), especially if you're exercising and especially if you are wanting to maintain as much lean muscle as possible while losing weight.

Anyway, this is a rambling post but my point is that you don't need to demonize carbs. It's okay to eat them, but in moderation, like everything else, and try eating them with some fat and/or protein to satisfy your craving but also help you get/stay full (for example, one of my favorite snacks while losing was an apple with peanut butter).
  • jonathanp2
    jonathanp2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^
    TallGlassOfQuirky is right! I second this!