Eating Before Bed

Options
MG_Fit
MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
I have a space to eat a little more today which is really good. I was thinking about having some Breyer's coffee ice cream (my favorite).

The problem is I read somewhere that you shouldn't eat before you go to sleep because your metabolism shuts down while you sleep because your body isn't really doing anything. Therefore eating before bed is like twice as bad for you because your body is in its sleep state.

Does anyone know anything about this. I really want some ice cream, but I'm going to sleep in the next 30 minutes.

Replies

• Elicur
    Elicur Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You don't need it, go to sleep thirty minutes earlier. I wish I could!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Don't be silly. If you get up and work out during the night, you'll be fine.
  • pamla77
    pamla77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've never followed that rule but I hear it all the time too. I have a bowl of fiber one and a slice of toast with peanut butter EVERY night. and Im still losing. so I haven't had a reason to break the habit. In fact, if I don't eat at night I don't sleep well and feel like sneaking to the fridge in the middle of the night. :)
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    According to a piece I read from the Mayo clinic there is absolutely no difference. They said that eating late is bad is one of dieting biggest myths, so enjoy your ice cream.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I eat my last meal (meal 6) at night before bed, but I wouldn't eat carbs/sugars as a last meal. If it's in your budget tho go for it. One night won't kill you. :)
  • dgoradia
    dgoradia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have a space to eat a little more today which is really good. I was thinking about having some Breyer's coffee ice cream (my favorite).

The problem is I read somewhere that you shouldn't eat before you go to sleep because your metabolism shuts down while you sleep because your body isn't really doing anything. Therefore eating before bed is like twice as bad for you because your body is in its sleep state.

Does anyone know anything about this. I really want some ice cream, but I'm going to sleep in the next 30 minutes.

Just eat it. If you have room for it, it makes absolutely no difference.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Don't be silly. If you get up and work out during the night, you'll be fine.

Ok this isn't even realistic. :mad:
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    I've read a few books and they all say that eating RIGHT before you go to sleep is not conducive to weight loss and that it's really bad for your body because it just sits in your stomach while you sleep. They all say if you eat late at night that you should wait AT LEAST an hour before going to sleep to give your body time to break the food down. Hope this helps! :]
  • AngelaBianco82
    AngelaBianco82 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I believe you should eat when you are hungry regardless on time or calories left. Now no one needs to have ice cream but you deserve to treat yourself :)
  • carolbeckp
    Options
    I believe that's a lie, your metabolism doesn't shut down while you're sleeping
    You can eat light foods but I don't eat at all at night because if I eat anything I eat a bunch of things
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I often eat a bowl of ice cream just before I go to bed. Sometimes if I'm working late I'll get 800 calories of Taco Bell on the way home and collapse into bed as soon as I get there.

It makes zero difference to anything. Zero. Eat whenever you want to eat. I love going to bed with a full stomach. It helps me sleep, and I go to bed happy.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism can't shut down while you're sleeping or you'd die. I hate that myth. It may slow down slightly, but it doesn't shut down. I eat before bed if I have calories left otherwise I wake up hungry. It wont kill you. Just eat it.

ETA: I wouldn't eat something heavy like a massive piece of cheesecake because heavier foods will make you sleep like crap, but other than that. Go eat some damn ice cream. I just did.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've read a few books and they all say that eating RIGHT before you go to sleep is not conducive to weight loss and that it's really bad for your body because it just sits in your stomach while you sleep. They all say if you eat late at night that you should wait AT LEAST an hour before going to sleep to give your body time to break the food down. Hope this helps! :]

Take all those books and throw them in the garbage. Because that's what they are.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Getting ready to batch up some cookies dough to in bed! Meal timing is b.s.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever I'm hungry, even if I wake up in the middle of the night and feel like a snack. I often have a little treat just before I go to bed (e.g. bite-sized Bounty bar, biscuit, hot milo, etc) if I have enough calories left for the day, and sometimes even if I don't have enough calories left for the day.

I say do what you want. If you want ice cream, have ice cream. Don't stress about it being so close to bed time. I've lost 131 lbs (59.6 kg) doing just that...not denying myself something if I really want it.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism works 24 hours per day. I eat EVERY night within 45 minutes of bed and it usually it ice cream or chips or some cereal. lol
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Take all those books and throw them in the garbage. Because that's what they are.

Yes to this. The magazines are loads of crap too.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My experience is that timing of eating is irrelevant. It's just the total amount of calories, regardless of when.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I always eat when I am hungry .... before bed .... in bed .... whenever. Never stopped me from losing.

That being said different things work differently for different people .
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it makes a difference.
    It might SEEM like it makes a difference if you eat a large meal before bed and weigh yourself first thing in the morning.
    But no, I don't think it matters. Digestion takes quite awhile - whether you eat 3 hours before bed or 30 minutes before bed, your body is still working on digesting your food while you sleep.