Hi Everyone

Options
Hi All - I've been using the mobile version of this site for quite some time now (not very well I might add!) and I only just discovered the website. I'm loving this site. I'm just about to turn 37 in a couple of weeks and I had a quite a scary exeperience recently that made me rethink my attempts to get healthy. I was returning from a trip to China and thought I was having a heart attack, I wasn't but the doc told me I wasn't far from it. He also told me that I should consider a gastric bypass - that he didn't think I could lose the weight and resolve my diabetes without the surgery!

I decided right then and there that I had to take charge of my life and lose the weight without the surgery. (Or at least give it a super effort before I even consider it) So now I'm just about 2 weeks into my new resolution and I've lost 6 pounds so far. Not much but a start. I've given up surgary drinks, salt and I'm trying desperately to stay away from the fried foods. I'm hoping to find some friends that can help me achieve my goal and get healthy.

Becky

Replies

• sheliar2
    Options
    You are off to a good start. Keep up the good work.
  • jrmoore231
    jrmoore231 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good job Becky! I just started yesterday. This site is very easy to use. I really like it so far.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You can do it naturally. The doctor didn't give you the credit you deserve. You can do it. Friend me if you want and I will cheer you on.
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Welcome..this site is a great tool to help you lose weight!!! I love the support from others trying to lose weight/ get healthy. 6LBS so far....thats wonderful don't sell yourself short :happy: I have been using another site for a year and have lost 70lbs. I came to this site to look for support...every one is very helpful. I also love the app my phone has for this site. Good luck and add me as a friend.....we can help support each other.:smile:
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    6 pounds is a great start! Good job! I've lost 7 and have a ways to go. It's not easy. But it needs to be done. This site does help you pay attention to what you are actually doing which helps quite a bit :)
  • rwhitney98
    rwhitney98 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had Gastric By-pass 3 years ago. I started at 330 pounds and I lost 17 pounds in my first week. At my two year mark, I had lost alittle over 150 pounds. I was doing great. I loved to shop and wear clothes I was always afraid to wear before. I began to have health problem that were not related to the by-pass surgery. My doctor had to put me on medicine and the biggest side effect was weight gain. I fought hard not to gain any but 1 year later, I have gained 50 ppounds. I have had surgery to take care of my problem and am now working even harder to get my 50 pounds back of.

I am glad I had gastric because it let me see how happy I was small and that I want to stay that way. However, now that I am trying to get rid of the weight on my own, I see that I am at a slight disadvantage. Before, I didn't have to do to much and the weight just fell off. Now I really have to work hard.

I wouldn't tell you not to have the surgery, but if you are able to do it on your own, I think you will appreciate it more.

I joined this site yesterday and already love it. Good Luck with your life changes and write me if you want to chat!!

Ronda
  • DawnElisabeth
    Options
    Hi Becky! Sounds like you are off to a great start! I wish you the best and would be happy to back you up on your journey! Will send a request. :)
  • bbraun
    bbraun Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you all for your support! I have to confess I walked into the cafeteria at work this morning to get a spoon and smelled the sausages cooking - I almost caved - but I thought about it, grabbed the spoon and walked back to my office without the sausages and at the healthy breakfast that I brought with me instead.
  • bbraun
    bbraun Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you all for your support! I have to confess I walked into the cafeteria at work this morning to get a spoon and smelled the sausages cooking - I almost caved - but I thought about it, grabbed the spoon and walked back to my office without the sausages and at the healthy breakfast that I brought with me instead.
  • Angiepackmom4
    Options
    Becky,
    6 pounds is great!! You are in the right direction and this website has made it so much easier for me to keep up with how many calories I am eating. As you know, it's an awesome tool to use. I think this way is the healthiest method to achieving your weight loss. And it sounds like you are eating very sensibly. Add me as a friend of you would like.