Exercising while in a desk job...

Options
I would love some advice.

I work in a call center and am not just in a desk job, but in a job where I'm almost literally tied to my desk with a headset. I have two breaks and a lunch, but that isn't a large percentage of my day. When I get off of work, I'm needed at home helping make sure dinner gets ready (whether I'm doing it or whether I watch my 5 and 2 year old girls), then, usually not too soon after, we are shuffling them off to bed. By the time they go to bed, I'm usually exhausted. Sometimes, I go to the gym at night, but I probably get there 2-3 times a week to do about 30 minutes of cardio before I go home, shower, and go to bed.

The thing I need is I need to find ways of being active while at work.I try to get up for breaks and lunch, but I feel like there's more I can be doing at my desk than just sitting there and standing up every now and then to stretch. I was on a six month temporary position and lost 24 pounds during it. However, since I went back to my normal job about 6 months ago, I've barely hung onto losing two pounds during it. While I'm still good about watching my calories for the most part, it's the lack of activity that I have in my day that has stunted my weight loss.

Any advice on things I can do while sitting in my desk job?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Could you get one of those seated bike peddles that you could put under your desk? Could you have some hand weights that you could lift while on the phone? Could you do some body weight exercises while on the phone (squats, lunges, push-ups on the desk)?

Example of the bike thing:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=under+desk+bike&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=under+desk+bike&client=firefox-a&hs=gDO&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=YVetUcf6AqeH0QGJr4BI&ved=0CDsQsxg&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47244034,d.dmQ&fp=e04ebae8ba896c79&biw=1067&bih=535
  • kathneal67
    kathneal67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi

Have you tried looking on goggle for any tips on exercise at your desk. I found a few things you can do. If you are sitting down a lot I have heard one of the big balls (forgot what they are called) are good to sit on as they make you sit correctly and exercise all your muscles while sitting there.

Good luck.

Kath
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Well, it depends on how concerned you are about how you look to everyone else and what you management will accept on the clock, You can get up every hour and pace, march in place, or bring dumbells and use them for armwork for about 5 minutes very hour.
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I also had a job that had me tied me to a desk all day. I brought in a couple push-up handles and some dumbbells. During break I would do some push ups, sit ups and various exercises with the dumbbells. Nobody ever gave me any crap about it. In fact, you'll gain a fair amount of respect in the office if you use them every day and don't brag about it.
  • meandmyface
    meandmyface Posts: 328
    Options
    I have a desk job too, I find just little things like jiggling your legs under the desk, clenching and unclenching your butt haha, mini calf-raises under the desk really help!
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I also had a job that had me tied me to a desk all day. I brought in a couple push-up handles and some dumbbells. During break I would do some push ups, sit ups and various exercises with the dumbbells. Nobody ever gave me any crap about it. In fact, you'll gain a fair amount of respect in the office if you use them every day and don't brag about it.
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, and I walk on my breaks. Do you have stairs? Are you able to put breaks together?
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Can you fit in exercise before going to work in the morning? Hubs loves that for the mental acuity it gives him through the day, as well as the calorie burn. It might help free that time up for your children in the evening, and may help you sleep better as exercise in the evenings can interfere with falling asleep.

If you're not the kind of person who sweats a lot during exercise (me!), try sneaking out for a walk on your lunch break. That being said, I'm a teacher and often work through all or part of lunch, or am needed by kids for various things (homework, study, life coaching etc).
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    desk bike??? I need that!
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Depending on your circumstances you could get a standing desk.

I know it looks weird and all but some companies allow it. Standing the whole day will definitely be a lot better than sitting down.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Can you get up at 4:00 or 5:00 a.m. to run or exercise in your home (under the principle that exercising more gives you more energy)?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Sorry but you're going to have to make time to exercise as you can't do jumping jacks and your job at the same time. Lots of people here have jobs and kids, they work out after work or before.