I'm Tired Of Being Skinny Fat

Options
A lot of people have been telling me that I look fine in clothing, but when I look in the mirror (undressed and with clothes on), I always look heavy. I don't like my thigh/calf fat, abdominal fat, bicep fat and those love handles. I've lost 38 pounds in the past four months, but I still have a huge bulge. I'm at a healthy weight, but I just don't know what to do.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    That is not skinny fat, dear.
  • First off let me congratulate you on this incredible weightloss! 38 pounds is awesome!
    Im guessing all you need is some exercise to target those areas you want to tone to give you a more shapely figure, since as you're saying- you're at a healthy weight.

I recommened yoga, it worked wonders for me :)

have a great and good luck sweetheart,

Lena
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    you still have 20lbs to go according to your ticker. Seems that the cure for what you have is weight training to get you toned as you lose the last 20lbs it's going to help you not have the flabby skin. Also might help you to get a fat scale to check your body fat percentage and build up muscle.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60+ pounds and I still consider myself "skinny fat," but the last month has made a BIG change in my body with absolutely no change on the scale. Keep pushing. Eat a little bit cleaner, push your workouts just a little bit harder. You'll see the change.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    you still have 20lbs to go according to your ticker. Seems that the cure for what you have is weight training to get you toned as you lose the last 20lbs it's going to help you not have the flabby skin. Also might help you to get a fat scale to check your body fat percentage and build up muscle.

Her target weight, though, is 95 lbs. So unless the OP is 4'11", she's aiming to be underweight.

OP, I think it's possible that you're viewing yourself unrealistically and with the "perfect body" in your head that you'd like to aspire toward. It's fine to keep being active and eat a little less to lose weight until you're a size that you're happier with, but this is a dangerous game if you have an unrealistic view of your own body. Also, in another thread you posted today, you said you've given yourself a calorie goal of 1000 calories a day and sometimes have a few hundred calories left over.

If you'd like to reduce your body fat percentage, I really doubt that you need to lose much body mass, and you should certainly be careful not to lose your muscle mass. I say this as someone who was anorexic for two years in my teens and destroyed my lean body mass. I spent my 20s flabby and thin, but the weight slowly crept on so that I was just flabby. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have focused on becoming fit and strong and accepting my body. I am slowly gaining muscle strength and I love what my body can do now.

I would suggest that you eat more and get some exercise into your life, with some resistance/strength training if at all possible. Ultimately find something that you love to do! But don't just starve yourself hoping that the love handles will go away. Maybe they will, but if you eat as little as you do, so will all your muscle mass. Maybe you don't care about that now, but you will one day. It's hard to regain lost muscle!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    o.O Thats the definition of skinny fat. at proper weight, still have high bodyfat levels...
  • whierd
    Options
    o.O Thats the definition of skinny fat. at proper weight, still have high bodyfat levels...

Yeah, except she is still 20lbs away from her goal weight. And skinny fat is more of a lack of muscle mass.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Yeah, except she is still 20lbs away from her goal weight. And skinny fat is more of a lack of muscle mass.
    if there is a lack of muscle mass, wtf do you think there is an excess of then...

and she is not 20lbs from her goal weight. she has body image issues. her goal weight is like 90lbs.
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    lift weights.
  • whierd
    Options

if there is a lack of muscle mass, wtf do you think there is an excess of then...

and she is not 20lbs from her goal weight. she has body image issues. her goal weight is like 90lbs.

Muscle and fat, the only two components in a persons body.
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options

Her target weight, though, is 95 lbs. So unless the OP is 4'11", she's aiming to be underweight.

OP, I think it's possible that you're viewing yourself unrealistically and with the "perfect body" in your head that you'd like to aspire toward. It's fine to keep being active and eat a little less to lose weight until you're a size that you're happier with, but this is a dangerous game if you have an unrealistic view of your own body. Also, in another thread you posted today, you said you've given yourself a calorie goal of 1000 calories a day and sometimes have a few hundred calories left over.

If you'd like to reduce your body fat percentage, I really doubt that you need to lose much body mass, and you should certainly be careful not to lose your muscle mass. I say this as someone who was anorexic for two years in my teens and destroyed my lean body mass. I spent my 20s flabby and thin, but the weight slowly crept on so that I was just flabby. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have focused on becoming fit and strong and accepting my body. I am slowly gaining muscle strength and I love what my body can do now.

I would suggest that you eat more and get some exercise into your life, with some resistance/strength training if at all possible. Ultimately find something that you love to do! But don't just starve yourself hoping that the love handles will go away. Maybe they will, but if you eat as little as you do, so will all your muscle mass. Maybe you don't care about that now, but you will one day. It's hard to regain lost muscle!

Pfjorg, missed that :embarassed: before she took her ticker down and you're right she needs to eat more and exercise.