too much protein

By the time dinner comes I'm already in the negative in my protein column. Is this a big problem?

Replies

• cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    depends on how much you are over. why don't you try logging your food into the diary at the beginning of the day. plan out what you are going to eat. you will be able to tweak your plan for the day and correct it before you eat not after when it's too late.
  • coolstacey6
    coolstacey6 Posts: 83 Member
    Thanks!! That's what I will do!
  • irchrismm
    irchrismm Posts: 95 Member
    Going over on protein isn't a bad thing if your are working out a lot. Protein helps feed your muscles, and gives you the energy you need to do the workouts. Especially if you are just starting out for workouts. My diet plan actually calls for a high protein low carb regiment for the first 30 days.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    I am always over in protein and fiber.. sugar too due to fruit. I do not see it as a problem though. I still lose about 1-2 pounds a week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    MFP sets protein at 15% of total calories which is pretty low. It is suggested to get between 10% and 30% of calories from protein. If you are constantly over and are having success you can go into your goals and change the % of fat, carbs, and protein by going to settings, goals, change goals, select custom, make your changes then save changes. Like many on this site I have changed the ratios of the nutrients. You can start by increasing protein by 5% and lower either carbs or fat by 5%.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    If you are including strength training in your workouts, don't worry a single bit about that protein overdosed!! ;)
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    All that matters is total calories, and 15% for protein is too low and if you are exercising it is far too low. I have between 40-50% of my daily calories from protein. I need more than most, simply because am bigger than most people, and I lift weights pretty intensely.

Even average people should be between 20-30 if you don't exercise and 30-40% if you do. Protein is not an energy calorie like fat or carbs, instead of glucose it gets broken down into amino acids which build and rebuild your body. They are essential to tissue growth and you need more than the average person if you are trying to lose weight and exercising.

Another huge advantage to protein consumption is the huge metabolism boost it gives. Food triggers metabolism burst by it thermic effect or TEF for short. Every time you eat something your body heats up to metabolize tit. Protein is very high like 30-33%, meaning that for every 100 calories you have from protein your body burns 33 calories in the process of converting it into aminos. On the other end fat is only like 2% and carbs around 5-7%

So in other words the more protein you eat the more you burn.
    Yes you can eat too much protein and if you have extremely high levels in can be dangerous but that is in the 500-1000 gram range. Bodybuilders daily have about 700 grams of protein, and for the past several years I have between 220-275 grams a day, and I am as healthy as one can be.
  • coolstacey6
    coolstacey6 Posts: 83 Member
    Thank you so much for taking the time to explain that to me. Very very helpful! Thank you SO much!!!
  • I'm always over in protein, I'd be far more worried if I was over in fats. Isn't protein good for reducing hunger pangs?
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    I'm always over in protein, I'd be far more worried if I was over in fats. Isn't protein good for reducing hunger pangs?

Protein takes longer to process so it generally makes you feel full longer. I know it does for me.