Night Eating Disorder

Options
Anyone out there have NES? For years I have been allowing myself to eat high calorie foods after dark and I even get up in the middle of the night to eat. Sometimes I am only 50% aware of what I am doing. Just a few days ago I started doing some research and found out that what I am doing could actually be NES. Just looking to see if anyone out there has any advice or personal experiences for me.

Replies

• breadangel38
    Options
    Ask your family physician to prescribe Sertaline (zoloft) in a small dose. Published studies* have shown this to be very effective. After I read the studies, I showed them to my internist and he was willing to try it. Almost immediately, I stopped waking up at night and eating and not remembering much about it in the morning.

I am on a strict eating and exercise program now for major health reasons. Because of the restricted calories, I find myself waking up in the middle of the night, very hungry. So, I have changed my eating times and now eat dinner after 8:00 pm and it is working.

Find out what works for you and try it and keep trying until you solve the problem.

* studies done at The University of Pennsylvania, found on Medline.
  • saharzd
    saharzd Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I am not too big on medication but I will try moving my dinner to another time.
  • ChamberMom42
    ChamberMom42 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For some reason I've always like to eat at night. You know, after the house is quite and everyone is asleep. lol It's always been my little secret. I don't know why.
  • HeatherLynn82281
    HeatherLynn82281 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem :( I take an appetite suppressant with dinner to curb the urge to eat later, but I also make sure the front of the cabinets have Special K snacks and protein bars (hiding my kids junk behind it) and the fridge has a wall of yogurts and protein shakes (hiding the left overs) that way if i do lose the battle and go snack anyway I see the good stuff first. I've tried getting rid of all the junk in the house, but its not happening with a teenager and an 8yr old lol. But I do limit the house to 1 bag of chips, 1 pack of cookies and I refuse to buy cases or 2 liters of soda. I keep tons of bottled water and fresh fruit in the house.... At least if I splurge at night theres mostly healthy stuff to chose from
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have done this for years, up at 2 am eating chocolate biscuits etc, but since I started M F P a month ago I have resisted getting up in the night. It was hard at first but I think I am finally breaking a life long habit. Won't do anything to sabotage my hard work lol.
  • Chriistiina18
    Options
    trying to stop that habit!
  • maryrosenavoa
    maryrosenavoa Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that. For almost 10 years.. but I am a better person now lol. I told myself, I am not just a tongue. I need to discipline myself to live healthier.