Does drinking water really help you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• boszorka
    boszorka Posts: 3
    Options
    Water helps me to support, the fact that I am eating less then usually. So When I would like to eate something I drink water instead and I feel bether after.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY water helps lose weight. It metabolizes fat. It also, ironically, keeps you from retaining water, especially if you have a high sodium diet. If I lapse on drinking at least 10 cups of water a day, I stop losing. And it's so, so, so good for you. I highly recommend you make it a priority.

Water does not metabolize fat. Water may be a part of the metabolism equation, just like water is involved in 99% of the bodies functions but it does not, on its own, metabolize fat.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY water helps lose weight. It metabolizes fat. It also, ironically, keeps you from retaining water, especially if you have a high sodium diet. If I lapse on drinking at least 10 cups of water a day, I stop losing. And it's so, so, so good for you. I highly recommend you make it a priority.

Water does not metabolize fat. Water may be a part of the metabolism equation, just like water is involved in 99% of the bodies functions but it does not, on its own, metabolize water.

Of course it metabolizes fat. It melts it right off. I learned that in the meat rinsing thread right here on MFP . . .
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    no. I drink at least 14 cups a day. Had made no difference.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Water does not metabolize fat. Water may be a part of the metabolism equation, just like water is involved in 99% of the bodies functions but it does not, on its own, metabolize fat.

Of course it metabolizes fat. It melts it right off. I learned that in the meat rinsing thread right here on MFP . . .

rofl
  • OrionG
    OrionG Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Let me give you a physiology lesson on the importance of water and keeping hydrated and why it is so good for your tissues and cells in the body. Our bodies make about 4 cups of water a day through metabolic processes and breathing. We need to drink 6 cups of water just to break even. Since our body loses 10 cups of water daily through urine, sweat, breathing, etc. We need 2-4 cups to be healthy not doing anything, but if we exercise or get a massage, we need more water.

If you are severely dehydrated, your connective tissues especially fascia will harden which can explain why your muscles end up more sore and in many cases, have knots, aches and pains because it mainly made most of water. This is important to know for anyone who is also exercising. So in any case, if it doesn't help you lose weight, water is still very important to maintain homeostasis. Other than that, water can make u feel fuller so you don't over eat. With that in mind, if you eat low carb, you will need more water period, since those carbs hold onto water. As my massage instructor says, drink a lot of water even if it feels stupid. Pepsi, soda, juices, or flavored drinks has stuff in it. You don't need the extra stuff unless it is electrolytes such as calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium. Plus soda will erode your teeth and weaken your bones.

Nice synopsis. I've heard many times that drinking water will make you feel full, and eat less. But, that only works for me if I chug a barrel-o-water right before I eat. Otherwise, it causes my stomach to empty quicker and then makes me hungry, complete with stomach growls, etc. :)
  • unapologeticallyemma
    unapologeticallyemma Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's not the water that helps you lose weight its the effects of being hydrated

-feel fuller for longer.
    -better mental function
    -less fatigue
    -removal of toxins
    -digestive aid
    -skin and organ health

All of these effects will help you exercise, eat right and recover better.
  • jamieshelby757
    Options
    Water is my key! I was addicted to sodas or drinking in general water I can pound it back and feel great about it also I brew natural green tea once a day helps tastes horrible but is great for you
  • TriFinders
    TriFinders Posts: 53
    Options
    It's all a big myth. You need to be hydrated, but not so much that you're peeing every hour, which is exactly what 10 glasses of water will make you do and all you are doing is flushing your system...not cool!
    Pepsi Max is rubbish yes, but drinking water will not burn fat as has been suggested.
    Water is present in the food you eat, so you will already be taking some on. And remember, cups of tea count etc..it is NOT about drinking water, it's just important to drink fluids without sugars.
    In the UK, we're warned against teh perils of overfilling on water
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2154878/Are-drinking-water-Millions-chugging-excessive-litres-day-wasting-efforts.html

Don't be sucked in by this diet myth
  • DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
  • laurabell86
    laurabell86 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Drinking water and keeping hydrated keeps your bowels moving and helps with digestion. Weight loss without the effort!
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw my two cents in. :laugh: I actually agree with EmmyKate! All I know for a fact is that eliminating diet soda was the first big change that I made when I decided to get serious about weight loss. Believe me I was addicted to Pepsi Max!! It actually jumpstarted my weight loss, again prob because of the reasons emmyKate mentioned, and prompted me to make other healthy choices. A year later, I no later even miss soda and only have an occasional one when eating out. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :flowerforyou:
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that the only research quoted in this thread states that people that drank 2 glasses of water before a meal ate less calories during that meal. Nothing about water versus diet soda for example. Just saying that if you stuff your stomach before a meal you'll be less likely to stuff yourself during the meal. My guess is that diet soda would do the same thing. But since they didn't test that the research is respect to this question is pointless.

In general, if your urine has a pale yellow color you're drinking enough, be it soda, or water or something else.
  • keithkfearns
    Options
    i just stopped eating food in general
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    ^ you resurrected a 12 month old thread to post that???? :huh:
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    YOU CANNOT LOSE ANY WEIGHT BY DRINKING WATER ANY MORE THAN YOU CAN STAND UNDER THE SHOWER AND WASH IT OFF.
  • RachelCane
    RachelCane Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    drinking water doesnt make you lose weight all it does is fill you up so you are not as hungry
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    ^ you resurrected a 12 month old thread to post that???? :huh:
    I think there must be an MFP employee whose job it is to register with a new name and resurrect old threads a few times a day. Why, I have no idea. To keep 'new' content appearing? To keep old myths alive? To keep people arguing? :huh:
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    It's to do with the fact that water hydrates you properly, increasing your metabolism and ensuring you burn more fat. Pepsi Max won't do that for you.

EDIT: and as nikilis says YOUR TEETH WILL MELT INSIDE YOUR FACE

I agree.

According to H.H. Mitchell, Journal of Biological Chemistry 158, the brain and heart are composed of 73% water, and the lungs are about 83% water. The skin contains 64% water, and even the bones are watery: 31%. Water helps digest our food so it can provide us with energy, it helps to transport waste out of the body, and it is important in controlling body temperature.

Considering this is how much water you are made up of, I think it's essential whether you are trying to lose weight or not.
    It also helps to burn fat, so if you want to lose weight, drink up!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    drinking water doesnt make you lose weight all it does is fill you up so you are not as hungry
    Wrong, it helps transport fat out of your body, but hey, if you want to keep the fat...don't drink it!