What did your friends/family think after you lost weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Mostly they think I am to skinny, but I'm not.
    SW was 264
    CW is 122
    GW is 117
    It is just because I was obese for so many years that is how they saw me.
    I am only 5'2
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    My friends are always complimenting me. My family doesn't even notice. Yeah, doesn't notice 80 lbs suddenly gone. Not even a whisper. -_-
  • Emisole
    Emisole Posts: 65
    Options
    I've always been the same size, and my family is, let's just say, not very tiny. I lost 21 pounds and went from close to a size 10 to a size 4 and I was criticized a lot and told not to lose any more weight. It was actually pretty infuriating.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Often the critics are lashing out at you in a negative way because they don't have the drive to do the same. You are doing a great job, slow and steady is better than a speedy weight loss. Remember this is for you, it's about you and each time you catch a glimpse of yourself may you have a kind word for the person looking back at you.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Often the critics are lashing out at you in a negative way because they don't have the drive to do the same. You are doing a great job, slow and steady is better than a speedy weight loss. Remember this is for you, it's about you and each time you catch a glimpse of yourself may you have a kind word for the person looking back at you.

Great comment. It is true that sometimes we need to give ourselves what we wish others would give us.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/keep-doubting

Do not let other people derail your efforts. Who knows why some people have to say negative things to us? Prove them wrong! It's usually about their own insecurities anyway.
  • Allyice
    Allyice Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    One of my friends (who was drunk at the time), started crying and asked me, now that I was "skinny" and "hot" was I still going to be their friend. I found it kinda cute. But then I slapped him over the head and said of course. Haha :)
  • BrittanyMegan88
    BrittanyMegan88 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    A bunch of my family and friends accuse me of having an eating disorder.. :grumble:
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I don't talk about it much, I just do it. I've told a few people that I'm trying to lose weight, but I don't say how much. Actually, I've lost 29 pounds so far and the only people who have commented are those who know that I'm doing it, and those comments have been positive. It's a little frustrating that people I haven't told don't notice that I look different! But I'm sure that will happen eventually, I just have to keep going.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    For those of you who get really horrible comments, I just can't believe people would say such horrible things! Especially if they are your "friends". Perhaps time to reevaluate some friendships?
    Anyhow friends or not these people are spiteful! Its really none of their business. I personally never gotten any mean comments from anyone, maybe some "you.are fat" stares but nothing as awful as the comments some of you received.

I personally don't mention my weight loss goals with my frds and family just coz I dont want so much unsolicited.and often wrong and useless advice.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I really think its like some people say, they can't do it themselves so they lash out at others instead. Its kinda sad, but a small motive of mine is to actually lose weight so I can make these people be quiet! D:
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    my one friend told me i needed a sandwich LOL... my dad told me to put a coat on... the rest are very happy for me :)

A coworker told me I need to eat a sandwich the other day...So, I did :devil:
  • Pnuke77
    Pnuke77 Posts: 23
    Options
    Under 10 %BF..cocaine addict haha

When I was at 195 10% I had "anorexia". When I did a bulk and went up to 215 I was "on Steroids". Years later now that I got lazy and put on 45lbs I "Got fat". You can never win with everyone.
  • IECdispatcher
    IECdispatcher Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think this is the weirdest thing. My family had not seen me in months. I had lost almost to my goal weight. Saw them at Easter and they said nothing!! WTH? My in-laws on the other hand noticed and complimented right away... I asked my Mom about it and she said, "Oh, you know, it wa so busy around there." I don't know, I think it is strange.
  • Librariangetsfit
    Librariangetsfit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had some friends tell me "it is unfair" that I have lost weight. I am thinking to myself, I have been working hard in the gym and eating well consistently, that it is not unfair... I have just worked hard.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    friends haven't really noticed, or when they do they say i look really good etc. my parents are really proud of me, but the rest of my family makes stupid eating disorder jokes and claim that i'm taking it too far etc. i can't even eat around them without them annoying me
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Most family and friends are complimentary. MIL, otoh, is mentally deficient. She honest to deity believes I can never eat dessert again. A week ago, she wanted me to ask BIL if he wanted apple pie and I perked up because I love apple pie. She then informs me that I was no longer allowed desserts because my husband said so. When I went upstairs to ask hubby about this, she followed me to make certain I didn't get near the pie. What had happened was that she asked hubby if he wanted pie and he said no he didn't. He didn't say word one about whether I wanted any or not. This isn't new. Every time she asks hubby if he wants a dessert, she turns her nose up when I express interest in having some.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    My family, most of my friends compliment me on my weight loss, but there are some like HOOLLY I wanna punch them. "That's all you have lost? I feel bad for you."

"Are you even going to gym? I think you are just going to fail again like always"
    (I've only tried losing weight once before and stopped!) >.<

I used to get tied up in what others said but I am just happy with my results, I know how hard it was and the work it took to do it, but if you are not there yet just say something like..... "Well at least mine is weight and not ugly, kinda hard to lose ugly huh!?"