Overnight Oats?!

Options
Hey guys! ive seen "overnight oats" in a few articles and blogs lately. I've never made them.

please share ur recipe with me plz!!!

I think ppl use yogurt or something?! and mix it all and leave it in the fridge overnight?!
this would be a great time saver. and I need something different =]

I love my hot oats :flowerforyou: I add fruits to them every morning. but boy is it HOT HOT HOT in florida..... so not exactly hot-breakfast friendly lol

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    bumping for some good ideas....bring 'em on
  • dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    Options
    Here ya go!

Overnight oats are just oats soaked overnight that absorb the liquid you put them in – any kind of liquid you like! The most common mixture is equal parts raw rolled oats, milk and yogurt (I like 1/3 or 1/2 cup of each). You can use any kind of yogurt or milk. Put in the fridge overnight (uncoverd or covered, your choice) and let ‘em soak up the liquids.

That’s the base, and toppings are endless. Add the toppings the night before or the next morning – either way works. Just don’t put anything in you don’t mind getting soggy (i.e. crunchy cereals)

There is NO COOKING involved at all!

(Although you could heat them just a tiny bit in the microwave to take the chill out)

The site is called "Kath eats real food"
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! ive seen "overnight oats" in a few articles and blogs lately. I've never made them.

please share ur recipe with me plz!!!

I think ppl use yogurt or something?! and mix it all and leave it in the fridge overnight?!
    this would be a great time saver. and I need something different =]

I love my hot oats :flowerforyou: I add fruits to them every morning. but boy is it HOT HOT HOT in florida..... so not exactly hot-breakfast friendly lol

http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal/

Some fun ideas on here and the whole blog is interesting!:flowerforyou:
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    bump, thanks!
  • antiadipose
    Options
    thank u!!!!
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    i'm wondering how it tastes...does it turn quite mushy and soggy? i made oatmeal overnight in my slow cooker one time and hated how it turned out (a glutenous mushy mess). But i'm intrigued and want to try this :)
  • shannie_lou
    shannie_lou Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Won't be mushy cuz it's not cooked. This is very common in Europe-called muesli & is divine! Try with sliced strawberries, a few toasted pecans and a few raisins. yuuuuuummmmyyy!
  • scrappyd
    scrappyd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I dump my muesli mix in some vanilla (or plain) yogurt overnight and have it in the morn. It is softer and quite delicious. Sometimes I will throw it in the blender with some frozen fruit and juice. yum!
  • skdk833
    skdk833 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do overnight oats in my crockpot. I only use steel cut oats. The quick and regular turn out too mushy. Here is my recipe that I use.

3 1/2 cups water to every
    1 cup steel cut oats
    1 tablspoon margarine/butter
    1/3 cups of dried cranberries

Cook overnight on low for 7-8 hours.

I also make an apple compote that I add to the oatmeal once it is done:

peel and cube 4 apples
    put in a sauce pan with
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    as much cinnamon as you like

Cook down and mash til chunky. Cool put in refrigerator until morning.

We really like this recipe. Make sure that you increase fruit if making more than one cup of oats.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    my neighbors (whose house i eat at once a week)eat a versian of this almost every day, and it is super yummy! (they dont use oats beacuse of celiac issues) but the soak a mix of grains (thier and my favorite it millet and amaranth) in either whey or kombucha overnight. they still have to cook it, but not very long. and some raisins and some sort of sweetener and boy is it good!!!!!!
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    We used to have muesli like that at boarding school - proper Swiss fare, with grated apples and raisins! I'd totally forgotten about this...must try it soon...
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    For one person, in a bowl place 1/3 cup of oats, 2 tbs of yogurt, splash of vanilla if you like it OR pinch of cinnamon and I grate 1/2 apple in. Then put in water so it covers it all and mix it up. the water should cover it. If I wasn't dieting I would put in nuts and seeds as well, but they are sooo fattening, you can leave them out until you are maintaining your weight. cover and put the fridge.
    The next morning you should have your Bircha muslei ( that's what it is called and you can find other recipes on the internet. You might find it really thick, so you can water it down with low fat milk, or water, or apple juice depending on your tatebuds. Or stick it in the micro if you want it a bit warmer, or add more fruit in the morning, slice a banana on it, or if you want a bit of sweetness, pour a tsp of honey on it. Enjoy ;)If there is too much, it keeps for a couple of days!
    Oh my goodness, when I replied to your post, it looked like you had no replies!!! you can just ignore mine... good luck loosing weight!
  • antiadipose
    Options
    lol hotbottom.. last night it looked like no1 knew what i was talking about.

thank u alllll for ur reply.

im gna do 1/3 oats 1/3 yogurt 1/3 milk with some flax meal and cinnamon and vanilla. then in the am tomorrow ill add some nuts and banana and strawberry slices =] mmmmm

thank again for ur ideas!!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Bumping. I am not an egg person so this is good.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I like chewy oatmeal and eat it with cinn, nutmeg, sweetner and about 1/2 pat of butter. Two ways I found to do this:

1C steel cut oats
    2C water
    6 packets Splenda
    Cinn to taste
    Nutmeg to taste

bring to boil, turn off heat and cover on top of stove overnight. Scoop out what you need for the meal and put the rest in the fridge for next time. I add the 1/2 pat of butter when I microwave and dried fruit if I feel like it. Adjust the water to fit your texture preference.

1/2C old fashioned oats (quick or 1 minute oats get mushy)
    1/2C water
    2 Splenda packets
    Cinn to taste
    NNutmeg to taste

110 seconds in the microwave. I add the 1/2 pat of butter and stir. Add fruit if desired. Again, adjust the water to fit your texture preference.

I usually have 2 boiled eggs (whites only) in addition. Comes out to just over 200 cals, it's filling and I am good to go for 4-5 hours before needing to eat again.
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    tagging for website. Thanks!
  • nicoledc
    nicoledc Posts: 37
    Options
    Here's an even faster oats recipe that I eat several times a week:

1/2 c Quaker oats--the ones in the round box
    1/2c soy milk (or what you like)
    1T pure maple syrup (I use 100% Maple Grove not the pancake syrup)
    1 t slivered almonds and/or diced apple

Let it all sit for 15 minutes and then microwave for 1 minute. You can add/delete anything that you don't like - this is just the combo I enjoy. It has to sit 15 mins to absorb the milk or it won;t taste right. You can also prep it the night before and cover it and then microwave it the next morning if you don't have the 15 minute wait time.
  • zolamercedes
    zolamercedes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump... sounds yummy!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I tried oats the other day and they were terrible...just mixed with peaches and brown sugar...I am going to try some of these suggestions...they sound awesome
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump!