Workout and diet questions.

Options
So i am about 163 (a little more if scale is wrong) I eat 1650 calaries a day (usually 200 left off). I am 5'7. Will my diet and calarie count make me loose weight and look good? I am adding walking 3 miles next week, about 3 times a week. Is that a good workout. Is my diet good enough?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    What's your TDEE and calorie intake?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP the way it is designed to be used then your calorie goal is based on whatever you told MFP you wanted to lose...i.e. 1 Lb per week, 2 Lbs per week, etc. That number has a weight loss deficit built into it. If you net to that number (i.e. eat back most of your exercise calories) you will lose weight.

MFP is a NEAT method calculator (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) so your calorie goal is a weight loss deficit of calories without any exercise whatsoever...so if you didn't exercise and you ate to the calorie goal MFP gives you, you will lose weight at roughly the rate you told MFP you wanted to. Because it is a NEAT method calculator, exercise becomes extra activity and that activity should be fueled...that is why, when you log exercise, you're going to notice that MFP ups your calorie goal.

It's really all very simple and MFP does all the work for you...don't overcomplicate things...it's very simple.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    in addition to exactly what cwolfman said, you should have your weight loss goal set to "Lose 1/2 pound per week." I'm assuming you only have a total of around 15 pounds to lose? If that is the case, you cannot set your goals too aggressively or you will make this much more difficult than it needs to be.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    ^^with that said, 1650 may or may not work for you. It depends on your activity outside of your exercise.

Make sure you are entering your Exercise into the calculator and eating those additional calories. That's super important considering your height/weight and goals.

Track everything for a month and see if you have success. That's the only way to find out.
  • jonathanp2
    jonathanp2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is what MVP set got. Well it was higher before, and when I lost 10 pounds it lowered it. Seems to be working (:
  • dancerbyday
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing well. Walking three miles is good. You might also want to try jogging the first mile of that, then cooling down by walking the other two. Eventually you will be able to run all three miles if you want, but there's no need to try that now. However, running will melt fat quicker and replace it with muscle, so it might be worth a try. And you will feel so good afterwards.
  • jonathanp2
    Options
    I did walk for a while before starting myfitnesspal. It is a fast walk, kind of like a power walk. Not sure the speed, but I can get done with a mile in less the am hour. Thank you, I will attemp to start running after I get myself use to the walk. Is 3 days a week a good starting goal?
  • jonathanp2
    Options
    Sorry what is that? And I take in about 250 less the 1650 a day.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Sorry what is that? And I take in about 250 less the 1650 a day.

what they are saying is that if you set up MFP through the goals wizard, you need to eat until your calories remaining are zero, not 250. The calorie deficit is built in if you walk through the wizard.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    by the way, losing weight and looking good are two very different topics. It all depends on your goals and interpretation of "looking good", but for most people, looking good is going to take building muscle - at least some. Think of it this way, your body is divided into 2 parts - the lean, muscular physique that you "want" and the layer of fat that is hiding it all.

So, to get to the physique you want, you need to get rid of the fat and keep the muscle. It is very difficult to build muscle while on a calorie deficit, but you can retain what you have by lifting weights and eating plenty of protein. Once you get the fat off, start focusing on building more muscle until you get the look you are going for.

Losing fat and building muscle are mutually exclusive for all practical purposes.
  • jonathanp2
    Options
    Ok I see. That is kind of what I was doing now. I dont want to focus on Muscle until my body weight is down. When I reach my goal, then I can start doing more muscle building workout. Now mind, I dont want to be a rock, lol. Im looking toward to having a skinny, toned body. I want to fit into good clothes and not be one of those people that can't put their arms down.
  • jonathanp2
    Options
    I see. I will try and get closer when I eat. Thank you :D
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    as a woman im the same height and i eat apx 1600 cals and workout 5 to 6 days, 45 minutes or more at a time. ive been losing steady. lil bit here and there and im happy, ill be done soon enough. i realize it does take time
    i eat as clean as possible too
  • proudmommy1003
    proudmommy1003 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP the way it is designed to be used then your calorie goal is based on whatever you told MFP you wanted to lose...i.e. 1 Lb per week, 2 Lbs per week, etc. That number has a weight loss deficit built into it. If you net to that number (i.e. eat back most of your exercise calories) you will lose weight.

MFP is a NEAT method calculator (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) so your calorie goal is a weight loss deficit of calories without any exercise whatsoever...so if you didn't exercise and you ate to the calorie goal MFP gives you, you will lose weight at roughly the rate you told MFP you wanted to. Because it is a NEAT method calculator, exercise becomes extra activity and that activity should be fueled...that is why, when you log exercise, you're going to notice that MFP ups your calorie goal.

It's really all very simple and MFP does all the work for you...don't overcomplicate things...it's very simple.

Even though I follow the TDEE method I believe this^^ is exactly right so if you follow what mft tells you you will lose.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly shorter than you, and I've set my calorie goal at 1400 plus all (or most) exercise calories - MFP had me down lower because I'd lost 20lb and it was just too low for me, but I didn't want to go the TDEE route becaue I know if I don't have to log my exercise I can find an excuse to do less.

I do 20 mins aerobic or toning DVD before breakfast, walk to and from work 915 mins each way),walk at lunchtie (20-25 mins) and a workout before dinner (20-45 mins either more DVD or Wii Zumba), plus one Zumba class a week. Its working for me, but everyone is different.