Diabetics and food rage when low.

Options
Hello everyone,

Last night it happened again. I got a low blood sugar 1h30 after lunch and had to eat. The only thing is that I drowned 2 cups of apple juice, found two chocolate bars and chips. :noway: This was not too bad. I have already passed half a loaf of bread with whatever I could find. :cry:

Have any of you out there had this feeling of eating whatever you could get when you got a low? If yes then what happened to you? Where you able to control yourself, contrary to me?

Replies

• gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My husband is diebetic and he does the same thing. He eats everything in site when he is low and then ends up with a headache because of the sugar rush. He tries to control it but its hard for him also. The only thing you can do is try to pre-plan what you will eat in case you are low. i know when my husband and I started a eating plan a few years ago he had to adjust his insulin because he actually didn't need as much. Have you told your doctor that you are changing your eating habits. He will want to make sure you monitor your sugar closely. Be careful.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Yeah, me too

If i get low the only thing left in the kitchen cuboards are the shelves. :noway:

Its all about planing and trying to make sure it doesn't happen.

Glucose sugar tablets are the best bet, they replace the sugar your body needs and is better for weight loss than a couple of bars of chocolate.
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My husband is diabetic as well and the other night his sugar dropped to 46 and it was the first time I have seen him show some control while trying to get his sugar back up. We recently went to a class and the woman leading it told us that while it is very important to listen to your body when your blood sugar drops you have to remember to give it time to recover. I guess something from that class really resonated with him because after he downed the first glass of apple juice he stopped and remembered to sip the next one, then waited a few minutes, checked his sugar and took one of his glucose tablets, checked again and so on until he was back in a safe range. It was really difficult for him to do and I could see he was struggling to slow down but I was so proud of him, he used freak out and shovel food into his mouth (even if it wasn't the best food to bring up his sugar) and then feel terrible. Have you tried keeping glucose tablets with you for emergencies?
  • Andre_Demers
    Options
    Yes I am being followed by my doctor and have a pretty good control. Almost normal 85% of the time. Like yesterday result I will reduce my insuline by 4 instead of 2 because of the exercice I am doing. I also have glucose tablets with me at all times. I rearlly take them thou, just can't think strait. My wife knows that when I tell her that I am low she automatically gets me a glass of juice. It's what I find gets my blood sugar back to normal the best. I just feel bad that I just can't control myself any better. Thanks for your help.
  • VikingPrincess
    Options
    Yes that used to happen to me too. The main problem was that I would routinely overdo it on carbs, as usually when I go low I feel unsteady on my feet and it scares me, so when the effect of my eating was not immediate, I kept on going, until the packet of Fox's Whipped Creams lemon was finished, or I'd had two Weight Watchers Carrot Cakes topped with lots of extra Betty Crocker Buttercream filling, of which I always have a jar in the fridge for emergency (i.e when i go really low and ran out of biscuits etc).

But when my sugar levels strated zig-zagging constantly between 2.1 and 21.5 and the professor who sees me for my diabetes at the hospital remarked on this, and we discussed what could be causing it, we realised that I was always overcompensating for hypos. I started to slowly educate my will and even when scared by the hypo feeling, i stopped eating so much. I'd consciously say to myself, let's wait to see if i still feel like this in 10 minutes. I now only ever have a small bottle of Lucozade and a couple of sweet biscuits or a sandwich after a hypo. I have saved myself also going sky high afterwards and I manage to keep within my calories here on MFP.

I added a separate "meal" section to my daily diary called "Hypo remedies" under which I enter what I eat when I go low.
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    my mother in law is the same, but she is slowly getting her blood sugars to stabilise by eating little amounts through out the day (she eats about every hour and half) she checks her blood sugar before and 15mins after each "meal" and we are both learning what foods spike her sugar (different people will have different reactions to the same food) and which ones are better for her (its a little complicated as she is also on dialysis so this limits the types of food she can have). Talk to your doctor/diabetes nurse and try to keep to a regular eating schedule. Try to stick to foods with a low GI as they can help maintain your blood sugar levels as they prevent the spike and drop. And always have glucose tablets with you for emergencies.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I keep snacks with me for blood sugar drops, but have discovered that I can control my sugars by controlling the kinds of food I eat. I track my crashes on MFP to correlate it with certain foods. Since I began eating healthy a year ago with regular snacks and meals, I have only had 2 crashes. Both of them were 3 hours or so after I had Log Cabin Lite Syrup. Now, I can eat normal (real) maple syrup and NOT crash, but I cannot eat the Log Cabin syrup. It is just sugar in there, not HFCS or anything artificial, so I'm not sure what's up...but no more of it for me!

But I keep cheese sticks, protein bars, and grapes handy for emergencies.